It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's population growing at a slower pace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Population growth is a gigantic concern of mine, as I believe it is horribly destructive, expensive and unsustainable. I am so glad to see that the rate of growth is slowing down, but in my opinion it's still not enough. The fact that we are going to add almost 100 million people in the next 40 years is absolutely mind-boggling to me. If we can't employ 300 million people how the hell are we going to find jobs for 400 million, not to mention water, food, housing, and transportation as all our roads will be completely gridlocked. I hope we can lower our growth even further to the negative and keep some shred of hope for our future.

U.S. population: 315 million and slowing

(CNN) – 315,091,138.

That's what the Census Bureau projects will be the population of the United States on New Year's Day. The number of people increased by 2,272,462 or 0.73% since the last time a population snapshot was taken – April 1, 2010.

In January, America can expect one birth every eight seconds and one death every 12 seconds.

America's population is growing at a slower pace than was previously projected, the Census Bureau said. One reason is lower birth rates starting in 2008, when the economy soured. Lower immigration numbers have also affected the population.

The U.S. population is now projected to be around 399.8 million by 2050, far short of the 439 million that was projected four years ago.

"When we add up the numbers, 24.4 million fewer migrants plus 17.8 million fewer births minus 4.6 million fewer deaths plus 1.6 million difference in the estimates of the population for the population in 2011, we arrive at the total difference of 39.2 million," the Census Bureau said.

inamerica.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
The fact that we are going to add almost 100 million people in the next 40 years is absolutely mind-boggling to me. If we can't employ 300 million people how the hell are we going to find jobs for 400 million, not to mention water, food, housing, and transportation as all our roads will be completely gridlocked.

I think there should be limits on the size of companies to limit their power and influence. In theory, more people should mean more demand, and the potential for more business (jobs) to meet that demand. But in today's world it really just means that the existing top dogs squatting in their respective markets/offering goods and services will do it at a 25% faster rate (grease the machines and speed them up a bit -- let them run a little longer), and make more money, and have more power and influence, while 100 million people fight instead for a handful of jobs.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
p.s., America's population growing at a slower pace -- what is the specific evidence, you may ask?

Well, the Duggars stopped popping out J-babies...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I dont think you need to worry much. Americas population growth is still relatively slow when viewed globally. It is also a wealthy country that can cope with some population pressure easily. And most importantly, absolute population size is of little importance, what is important is the composition so that there is no shortage of qualified labour and large fraction of "useless eaters" (for the lack of a better word).

If you want to worry about population issues, then worry about poor African or middle eastern regions.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

do not forget that controlled population (not small population) is a merit of power. USA is rich. far more rich than you believe. it can handle very nice life for billions of people. but the problem is injustice. selfishness. and stored money in the hand of minorities. and spending them on their good or bad desires. I am not an American. and it may be none of my business. however all of us have such problems in our countries. but let me point to a threat. spreading homosexuality unnaturally and intentionally. which will alter the structure of society. which will make other cultures grow rapidly and real American population goes down. which will add other social problems to problems like children without family.
Is USA weaker than Russia or India or China. Is USA poorer than them. while China, Russia and even Iran are after growing their population. USA is spreading homosexuality intentionally and instead of limiting it's military expenses and spending it's money for restructuring itself, it is giving in to problems and says oh we should lessen our population. USA IS RUINING ITSELF.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

absolute population size is of little importance

How could you think that? The amount of resources compared to the amount of people will have a huge effect on whether your people will be poor or prosperous. Also, our infrastructure in many parts of the country is wearing out and can barely function with the 300 million we have now.

I think we should cut back immigration to keep our population from growing, or even decrease it somewhat.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

How could you think that? The amount of resources compared to the amount of people will have a huge effect on whether your people will be poor or prosperous. Also, our infrastructure in many parts of the country is wearing out and can barely function with the 300 million we have now.

I think we should cut back immigration to keep our population from growing, or even decrease it somewhat.

No, I dont think it works that way. There is usualy more than enough resources in nature, the problem is mainly with inability to utilise them. This technological know-how is much more important than population size. Overpopulation depends on resources available in practice with current technology, and in modern industrial nations these available resources are enormous (tough we will see what peak oil does to that).

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

There is usualy more than enough resources in nature

We are running out of fresh water in many parts of the country, our food supply is under pressure because farmland is being turned into condos, and population density causes a lot of other problems like housing shortages, stress and conflicts.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Allowing the survival of the fittest to reign doesn't sound so cold anymore now, does it?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
Allowing the survival of the fittest to reign doesn't sound so cold anymore now, does it?

Sounds barbaric. Always will sound Barbaric.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by maes2

We don't need any more crazy on this site We are all stocked up here.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by maes2

We don't need any more crazy on this site We are all stocked up here.

We are over-populated with crazies

top topics

join