It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cricket legend Tony Greig dead at 66

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Former England captain and cricket commentator Tony Greig, who had been battling lung cancer, has died in Sydney after a heart attack.

Greig was a key figure in recruiting English and other international players for media tycoon Kerry Packer's breakaway World Series Cricket which was staged from 1977 to 1979 and sent shock waves through the arch-conservative sport.

I just heard the news over the radio, text messages are flowing in with tributes to him, a lot of people are saddened by this.

I was born a few years after world series cricket ended, so i never got to see him play, but from all reports he was a quite talented all rounder, he was a big part of bringing world series cricket together, which changed the game forever.

I've been listening to Tony commentate my entire life, it's not going to be the same after he's gone, We'll all miss him sticking the key into the pitch.

I'll leave the last words of this thread to a man who knew him best.

Former Australian captain Bill Lawry said he was devastated at the loss of one of his closest friends. “We are absolutely shattered that he is no longer with us,” Lawry said. “I have been fortunate to be his friend for 33 years. “It’s a sad moment for world cricket.”

abc.net.au

Yahoo.com.au

news.com.au

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Oh wow... That's almost like losing an old uncle! :-( His voice has been the backdrop in the stinking heat over summer down under. Not much more to say other than cricket will not be the same once the old guard is all gone, Tony was a big part of that team.

6 and out

(Here's some good laughs with Tony Greig to enjoy)

edit on 29-12-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
For someone who is not part of a country that even knows what cricket is, I must say, sorry for your loss. (Although I have no idea what the implications of that even is.)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Cricket is like baseball only standing still.

it's like when you're trying to read a book, and there is an incessant blow fly zipping about your face, and no matter how much you try to ignore it, you eventually get up and scream "GOD DAMN CRICKET!!" and change the channel.

My old man was a big cricket fanatic. I remember once as a wee lad, I meg Greg Marsh.. Or was it Ian Chappel. either way, he looked down on this wee blond haired blue eyed lad and with a big smile asked "Hey sport, you play cricket?" to which I looked up and without a hint of comprehension blurted "Nup.."

I think my dad lost a son, that day..

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Very sad day for Cricket, South African born Captain of the English Cricket team who settled in Sydney and became a commentator for channel 9's coverage of the cricket.
A larger than life character (6 ft 6 tall) who was well known for his verbal jousts on air with Australian commentators Bill Lawry and Ian Chappell.
He would do the pre-match report on the pitch by sticking a car key into the pitch testing its hardness.
From all followers of Cricket in Australia and around the world, he will be sadly missed. RIP

top topics

join