It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You woke up Tomorrow as the only Human Being Left Alive...how long would you want to live?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This kind of reminds me of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes "Time Enough at Last"

It is "the story of a man who seeks salvation in the rubble of a ruined world"[2] and tells of Henry Bemis (pron.: /ˈbiːmɪs/), played by Burgess Meredith, who loves books, yet is surrounded by those who would prevent him from reading them. The episode follows Bemis through the post apocalyptic world, touching on such social issues as anti-intellectualism, the dangers of reliance upon technology, and the difference between aloneness (solitude) and loneliness.

en.wikipedia.org...

Bremis is just about to shoot himself when he notices the library. HE realizes he can go about reading unhindered by former annoyances. Too bad Bremis' glasses fall off his face and shatter when he goes to pick up a book.

I have no idea what I would do. If I did decide to off myself, I'd make one hell of a bucket list. I think I would try to learn how to fly and land a plane so I could do some traveling outside the US. That would probably be how I die, too
If I managed to accomplish flight, then I would try to go to a lot of historical sites, wonders of the world, and other personal points of interest. I figure that if I'm the last human, I should have a better idea of what humanity has been through and accomplished, despite all our shortcomings.

Eventually I would probably try to make my childhood dream to come true, to see space first hand. The obstacles would be tremendous, it would be amazing and there would be no one to stop me. Hopefully I could figure out to get back if I actually got up there, but I feel like space is as good a place to die as any. I might bring some sort of contingency plan just in case it came to that. If I survive basic air travel though, I'm guessing this venture will surely be my demise

It might end up that I do everything "important" I can think of ( and survive it ) and then not what to off myself at all. Maybe there I'll find there isn't enough time to do all the important things in the first place. Maybe Bears will eat my face on the way to the airport.
edit on 29-12-2012 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Deemo Diablo

It is interesting how those who enjoy solitude , would probably thrive, whilst person dependant human beings , I suspect would end it very early.
I think you are a very strong person, because many would fall to pieces very early, as they have been privleiged in a sense by living inter dependant with a big social network.

I have lived alone ,quite alone for a period, then had people around me, if this occurred to me, I don't know, but I really don't think I would kill myself.

Many of us know almost everyone we consider friends , are just passing through.
In the end you are alone, quite alone.
But in the very end , you are never, or never have been alone at all.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Quite a while. I would want to explore things for as long as I could. I know that things would start shutting down eventually, but it might be fun while it lasted.
edit on 29-12-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I think for the first few years at least I'd be too scared to venture too far, I'd stick to my home town, my own house even, and spend my days going through alllll the houses around me for supplies.. The local grocery stores would keep me going pretty much for the rest of my life .. Medication, etc.
I'd never kill myself tho.. I'm too nosey, and music and old tv shows would keep me company ..

That, plus all the alcohol I'd consume would kill me early on anyway..

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
cross-country road trip visiting every state, speeding the whole time.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I would search & gather:

Safe Shelter
Food
Water
Important Books (as the internet will no longer exist)
Worlds Fastest Computer
Video Cam
Guns
Helicopter (Use the books i found to learn how to fly a helicopter)

My Mission:

Create a 10 hour Movie Documentary about "Life on planet Earth 0 - 2013" explaining how everything about our civilization on earth, First the documentary would start by this awesome video:

End Outro Song:

Once the movie documentary would be done id make 10000000 copy's,

Half of the copy's id seal it in a safe and throw it all around the globe sea!!

With the other half i would send them all into space.

The reason i'm doing this because i can not die knowing i was the last person on earth to not do something about leaving our civilization behind. I can only hope ET/Aliens would pick it up or the video to drift in space soo far billion light years away to only be found by another race.

edit on 29-12-2012 by LiveLeak2k because: Fixed

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'd simply wish I could live forever. For no other purpose, than the remote chance, that some distant civilization, managed to find their way to our corner of the universe, and find me. At least, in that chance, some remnant of humanity could be immortalized across the universe, and our voice could be heard to the people out there, one last time.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionsWitness

I would locate a secret abandoned base in the land mass im in hopefully after wondering so long and learn how to power the up to date vrill or other and go....
Very interesting question OP..

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Still have pets. I would live as long as possible.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
SNIP]
edit on 29-12-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I've always been alone anyway so I would indulge on looting and growing trees in the forest. The way I see it, I can improve the lands before my time is up and possibly leave notes and other warnings to future inhabitants of what happened to this world. There is so many things to do on this earth with or without peoples help, wiping the slate clean is one of them.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
And then return back in time to prevent it

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cropper
[SNIP]

Damn, there goes my idea

edit on 29-12-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
But....how would you know you were the only one left???
How could you ever be sure?
There might be pockets of people left in other places
that survived the same way you did.
That hope would probably keep you going for awhile.

But you would have no way of finding out what had happened.
(Unless there was some kind of warning or announcement beforehand.)
That would drive my inquiring mind nuts!

It would be frightening too. Fear of the unknown!
What if the only other survivors are evil?
Or did aliens wipe everybody out? Will they find you?
Are they scanning the earth looking for survivors?
That would be more frightening than being alone!
It's giving me the creeps right now!

Aaah!!! Thanks! Now I have to go to bed with this in the back of my mind!!!
WOQ

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
To me, it would be frightening but I would not "off" myself. I would grieve for my loved ones and wonder why the sole survivor is a 60 year old woman. I would find a safe and secure place, supplies and a couple of dogs and a cat...maybe even a bird or two for company. I would continue to hope I wasn't the last person on earth and that somewhere there were others. The safe and secure place to live would be to protect myself against the feral dogs, cats and wild life that would venture into once populated areas to ...well....feast.
I would also stock up on some cheapo eye-glasses so I could read to my heart's content.
I would probably talk to my pets and myself a lot. Oh, and I would have an arsenal of weaponry!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I would wake up everyday, go for a walk, and eat a mango.

Then I would take a nap.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

I'd be scared senseless. I'm not scared of being alone, but in such a scenario I feel as though the resounding silence would drive me mad. Sure, nature still exists with all the wonderful creatures inside... But walking through a town to gather supplies. Crossing a city to get to the other side... The sounds of nothing but the wind and debris flying through the wind would be deafening. And what happens if you suddenly hear something you didn't expect to hear?

Can you imagine the sheer paranoia that would run through you? You're alone. But what if you're not? (It could be something other then a human...)

However, to answer your question I'd live my life in a bunker. Make sure to make as many trips as I can to various parts around me to stock up on non-perishable goods, water and fuel to last me a life time. I'd also raid a few gun stores, make sure I'm stocked up in case I need to go hunting (or zombies...).

And just for the heck of it, I'd go get one of those fancy Boba Fett suits they wear at Disney Land and live my life as the Fett man himself. Because when you're all alone, nobody knows you're a nerd.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Take away the internet, and ..

what would be the difference again?

...forever awesome...

CX

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I think i'd like to live as long as possible.

I guess it would be a bit like "I am legend" but without the nasties.

You'd have to get good at many skills very quickly, and stay out of accidental danger because you're not going to have doctors or surgeons to help you, but otherwise i think it would be ok.

Without the usual gangs of bandits to hinder your foraging, you could live pretty well i'd imagine as long as you knew the basics of living without the usual heat, water and cooking sources.

The thing i'd look forward to most? Seeing how much and how quickly mother nature would flourish without anyone or their machines and chemicals to wreck everything. I'd imagine lots of green and colour in the most unimaginable places.

CX.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

head to walmart pickup some flatscreens, bluerays, laptops,

And do what with them? Use them as food trays or.... what?
Just curious.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join