It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fifteen-year-old battles for a woman's right to go topless anywhere a man can go topless.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
or rather...."Busting the Boob Ban"

Her struggle began a few weeks before her 10th birthday, when Athela got bad news from her mother, Jan.

"When I was playing at the park as a young girl, I would get hot, so I would just take my shirt off like the other boys my age did to cool down," says Athela. "But one day, my mother informed me that once I turned 10, I would no longer be able to take my shirt off to cool down because the law doesn't allow girls over the age of 10 to do so. I didn't think this was very fair."

orlandoweekly.com...

Perhaps an underground sexual revolution is beginning. Wouldn't that be something if everyone went around naked all the time? You know, just being as God made us.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Let me be the first to stand up and fight for a womans right to go topless in public

Bottomless too as far as that goes

I really dont mind nudity but there should be an age cut off

Once you get to be my age no one should see you naked till after they have had a few drinks

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
You wouldnt want to see me naked.

I can peel paint!

No really, would that make you a pedofile of you looked? This should be thrown out and no more money wasted.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Did you ever read the book-- Stranger in a Strange Land? Very similar situation going naked just like God intended.

Anyways as for this case I hope she wins. I like the idea

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Wouldn't that be something if everyone went around naked all the time? You know, just being as God made us.

No...it wouldn't be a plausible thing to do...clothing provides protection from the elements, your job dangers...I think it's a bit of ridiculous thought....

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
LadyV,

You know you are right clothing is neccesary but I am a man and the idea of topless women all over the place is almost euphoric to the gender from Mars. So realistically it is a very unsound idea but in the chambers of my mind it is a great idea.

I guess the bottom line is I have a touch of pervert in me. I am sorry.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Its no big deal it is legal in Ontario Can. The day they made it legal I started taking my camera every
where that was 2 or 3 years ago, and I have yet to see a topless female or take a picture for that matter LOL, I think it was an equality issue i.e. we do it so they wanted the right to do it to, funny though a man cant drive without a shirt its a ticketable offence because it can cause and accident. Go figure

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
90% of me completely backs a woman's right to go topless. But then again, 90% of my thinking is not done by my brain
, the rest of me thinks there would be a huge increase of traffic accident related deaths!

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I will petition the mayor tomorow to allow naked women in Harris County everywhere within the border of juristiction at the counsel meeting as far as my ability can acomplish this matter. Being a locksmith I know certain key codes to the local Goverenment. I do have the ability to overcome certain laws.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
In NYC a woman can go topless. A woman mind you, not a minor. And the law says something like she can't create a disturbance while doing it, or some such. I forget the exact wording, but I remember when the law was passed, geez, maybe 5, 10 years ago?

EDIT: I'm trying to remember before I go to bed. "Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business."?

[edit on 25-10-2004 by curme]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
V of course you need clothing to protect you from elements and to be hygenic and to work in. That's why we're not covered in scales and fur. But at the same time there's plenty of times when nudity is safe / fine. Like the Olympics.

Also, the idea of nudity is far less erotic in cultures where nudity is the norm. America is a very Puritan country as far as nudity goes.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal

I guess the bottom line is I have a touch of pervert in me. I am sorry.

As I'm sure most guys do
which is a good reason why women shouldn't be running around topless.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Don't you look at women even if they're clothed?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I'm all for it as long as there is an upper weight limit.
Say no women over 150lbs.
I also believe big girls should be forbidden from buying or wearing spandex.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Well I think at issue here is whether this is a person's choice or society's?

What exactly are we trying to stop, hide, or protect ourselves from by limiting public displays of nudity.

Is it for the children? Are we that ashamed of ourselves, our bodies, and our species that we feel our children must not be exposed to something they themselves are?

Is it because some people are offended by public nudity? Is this a valid reason for laws against nudity?
Personally, I'm insulted by the idea that someone might be "offended" by my (or others) nudity.

As for the functional argument, I live in Southern California. Most of the year, I could comfortably go without clothes. I work in an offfice with a centralized air system which means I could comfortably go without clothes at work, too.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I am a nudist and i feel everyone should have the right to go around naked, its not a sexual thing, but i truly feel we shouldnt be ashamed of our bodies, and el-naturale should not be taboo... after a while if people walked around nude, it wouldnt be so arousing.... in fact clothes would be more arousing...

I understand clothing provides us with protection and its unlikely humans will ever shed their clothes even in situations where they arent needed...

Its a nice thought though.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331

No problem...so long as there's a weight limit on the perves peeping...say not over 180 pounds...oh...and they gotta be at least 6 feet tall.
I also believe that men with beer bellies should not be allowed to wear too tight t-shirts tucked into their too tight waist bands rolled under their beer bellies.
Oh...and please...keep your mouths closed and wipe the drool from your chins.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Hey I agree totally. Fat men should not be allowed to go around topless either.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The concept of nudity in America is looked down upon because of religious beliefs. Example: you see an attractive male/female, the religious person thinks nothing but of lust and in the eyes of their God that is a sin.

If children were brought up in an environment where nudity is looked upon as "no big deal" this concept of "sin" wouldn't exist.
In Europe, nudity is no big deal. All over Europe men, women, families, share steam baths, saunas together. Being an American it is quite refreshing to see nudity being treated this way but, then when I see a young male Americans gawk, drool, and make a total fool out of themselves, I can see why this would never work.

On a side note...
Back in the late 80's early 90's, the tourist economy of Miami FL was getting into some serious trouble. They found out the reason was Europeans were no longer coming there on vacations. A study was taken and found the Europeans would go to the beaches take their tops off, and then get arrested for indecent exposure. The city council deemed that is it was now ok for no "dress code" on the beaches.
Now, not only are the Europeans going back to Miami but now you have all the rich, famous, models, go there as well.
The moral of this is, religion will always take a back seat to money whether it is nudity or booze. Think about it...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyzewun

Originally posted by mwm1331

No problem...so long as there's a weight limit on the perves peeping...say not over 180 pounds...oh...and they gotta be at least 6 feet tall.
I also believe that men with beer bellies should not be allowed to wear too tight t-shirts tucked into their too tight waist bands rolled under their beer bellies.
Oh...and please...keep your mouths closed and wipe the drool from your chins.

Maybe if people were naked more often people wouldn't have psychotic hangups about their appearances, starving themselves to death or eating themselves to death.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join