It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood studio IP addresses caught pirating rivals’ films

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Source

Internet protocol (IP) addresses associated with several major Hollywood studios were recently logged using bittorrent networks to share films created by rival studios, according to a report on peer-to-peer blog TorrentFreak.

Working with the bittorrent tracking service ScanEye, TorrentFreak identified IP addresses registered to Paramount, Disney, Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox and Sony Pictures sharing films, television shows and games. A “WhoIs” search confirms one of the addresses TorrentFreak published does indeed belong to Paramount.

The same studios are the principle driving force behind the forthcoming “six strikes” anti-piracy scheme that will log IP addresses engaged in media piracy and deliver warnings to users.

Well ain't this interesting...

I knew initially big studios were the developers of the sharing software most people do or have used, but, to find out they use torrent sites is amusing.

Now, I understand this could possibly be some guys downloading stuff, which could or could not be legal, but, the idea of the studios leaking competitors films and content is much more appealing.

Just thought I would share this to show a little more corruption to big corps.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
are they sure that the companies aren't in fact sharing their own movies in an attempt to log the ips of people downloading them?

either way.. where do you think these dvd screeners and things come from, only certain people can get them and have access to them so only those people can share them...

these companies are a bunch of idiots anyways... they have no clue how to enforce anything.. 6 strikes and ur out hmm guess I would have been out about 20k strikes ago

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hypocrites everywhere. As far as the eye can see, someone or some organization says, "Don't do that." Yet, under the veil of secrecy, they're doing it. I hate this crap, and it's getting old.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is pretty good for the average joe.

If a corporation can be proven to share a rivals merchandise, the offending corporation has instantly invalidated any chance of litigating against anyone doing the same to their own work as they have set a precedence that file sharing is okay.

Bravo!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

You know, as crazy as that all sounds.... You're RIGHT! I'm amazed to realize it...but what could they say if the next person to get an extortion letter for payment after download tells them to stick and and they'll see 'em in court. It would be near impossible for them to legitimately argue your own liability for a product download when they see it as fine to do themselves right?

Just make sure it's a jury for the civil trial and heck...they're toast! Thank You indeed!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I say lets spread the word to be used as a defense. Any company found purposely putting anything on the net can not charge another for downloading it or anything else from that company or any other company found putting movies/shows on the net.
edit on 28-12-2012 by KaenasDestiny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
are they sure that the companies aren't in fact sharing their own movies in an attempt to log the ips of people downloading them?

either way.. where do you think these dvd screeners and things come from, only certain people can get them and have access to them so only those people can share them...

these companies are a bunch of idiots anyways... they have no clue how to enforce anything.. 6 strikes and ur out hmm guess I would have been out about 20k strikes ago

The files linked to the IP's were content created by rivals, not their own property. So they claim this is theft, then put their rivals products out there to lessen sales to their rivals.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Basically what they are doing is, if i cant make big money then by golly
neither can (insert competitor here), either we all fail or we get our way.....

The problem, as i have always seen it, is the lack of adaptation from movie
studious and the music industry as well, the music industry has honestly
been trying to address it more so i would say than the movie guys but
the simple sad truth is, they missed the innovation opportunity when it
was still unique, think of how different it would have been if all these
places embraced with open arms digital sales from day 1 of it even being
possible, 0.99$ movie download, sure the quality is not DVD quite but
its 1/20th the price, could you imagine, even $2.99 and they would have
sold endless millions, the problem really came from them throwing a
2 year old hissy fit that they got out innovated because they were
complacent with the super profit they once made.......

Innovation drives industry and not complacency, innovation is what made
these companies who they are today, and they honestly wanted to hit
the pause button as if they actually could control their own creation.........
the world moves on, it always will, you can try to legislate it to stop but
good luck with that.
edit on 29-12-2012 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

My issue with this is that when they do it, it amounts to entrapment. To take information gained through this methodology into legal action, to me, is a violation of the 5th Amendment.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

My issue with this is that when they do it, it amounts to entrapment. To take information gained through this methodology into legal action, to me, is a violation of the 5th Amendment.

Enterapment is when you persuade someone to do something illegal. When you create a situation to get someone to do something they otherwise would not do. Such as person is walking past minding their own business and you ask them if they want drugs. That is entrapment. All they are doing is putting the file there, people still need to click it. So I must 100% disagree with you.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Sure enough these companies have many locations with many employees. If I was a coffee runner for my boss at one of the smaller branches and used the company's network to download a movie on my personal laptop it will ping back as the company I work for. I highly doubt the ones who are downloading said files are the ones on the piracy crusade. More then likely theyre just like you and me. So put the pitch forks down.

Though oddly enough a lot of screeners do get leaked fairly early. Could be upset employees or maybe leaking the movies early some how generate more sales. I dont know.
edit on 29-12-2012 by YoureAllNuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by YoureAllNuts

Very true. Although all we have to go by is the report, which states they are uploading movies from their rivals. It should be completely random, as in we should see Paramount IP's uploading Paramount products as well.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Too bad it doesn't say what type of files are being uploaded. If these are some of the high quality ones that get uploaded while the movie has barely been out in theaters I would be more curious of how these other companies are getting their hands on it. If you can put an end to that i bet piracy rates would drop. Theft has been known to be larger internally then compared to their customer base.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

So, what you are saying is, it is alright if the police sell drugs to people, so long as those people were the ones looking for it?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by YoureAllNuts

If it was that type of internal theft we should be seeing Paramount IP's uploading Paramount products.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I was implying one company is selling or giving these files to their competitor.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I dont understand what you're trying to get at with claiming entrapment and this news article. Care to explain it further? Just because the companies that are suing are also doing what they are suing for does not make it right or is considered entrapment. It is illegal in both instances unless these were some sort of encrypted files and there was a mutual agreement between the two companies but even then I doubt you could do that over a public tracker.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
This is the peculiar thing about rules. Rules are never taken seriously by the people who make them, they are always meant to apply to everyone except the creators of them.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Ah the good old problem reaction solution ploy

THEY are the problem .............as we now see
THEY have the reaction ............it's us common folk up to no good ....stamp down the the Internet
THEY have the solution ............up Internet surveillance .....sue and lock more away into corporate prisons

Just pushing their own agenda and that of gov possibly ............but yet again it's all us

Hopefully something comes of this

Poster above
fraggin amen to that
"We said do as we say .......not as we do"
edit on 29-12-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It strikes me as just odd that the in-house company network isn't blocking these sites in the first place. While I don't DL, period, I have streamed (I don't trust a DL, no matter the source, to not contain something malicious) I've been on many public networks where just about every streaming site I could think of was blocked. That begs the question--why aren't these companies blocking peer to peer DL sites? You can't tell me they NEED access to them, what with the company servers out there capably of housing files (assuming they're even bothering to keep their material THAT locked down) I understand that this is about putting up rival material, not their material, but the point is the same. Why is access needed again? Just block it if you REALLY believe pirating is as awful as you claim. I mean really, this just strikes me as 100% "Do as I say, not as I do". And it certainly chisels away at the credibility of the need for tighter internet controls.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join