It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does vehicle safety in America offset gun violence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
In Germany you have twisty roads and highways, stationwagons with more horsepower than common sense (730 PS thats just 20 PS less than an late FORMULA 1 car Schumacher won the championship with) and no speedlimit on some stretches of the Autobahn and lax enforcement on the rest and traffic, sooo much traffic and roadrage
. Riding shotgun with somebody whom goes at a reasonably fast pace on the autobahn is downright frightening for Americans whom experience it for the first time.

In America on the other hand you have straight roads a ton of states which never had a traffic jam ever and speed limits that put you to sleep and if you think nobody is gonna monitor that deserted barely used road thats where you get a ticket.

I wondered if you throw in the taffic casulities where are you more likely to die? In Germany or America?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

German driver's licenses are far, far more difficult to obtain than American. Usually requiring so many hours of in-class training by certified trainers, followed by hours and hours of behind the wheel driving with approved instructors in addition to the fee of upwards of $1000 EU. To make up for this difficulty public transportation is fantastic in Germany.

Compare that to the US where anyone above the age of 16 can get a license after one driving test with little or no oversight into how they learned to drive or who taught them. In addition to the near requirement of having a personal vehicle in the US due to the horrendous public transportation options.

What car accidents have to do with intentional homicide by firearm though...I don't know.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Alternative?
A mountain lion could eat you.

Oh,wait we are in the modern age with cars and such.
We are most likely to be killed off with texting while walking/driving more than anything.
Guns?
You could use knives and all kinds of gardening tools to kill with.
It's not the tool or weapon,it's the user who kills.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm not sure how accurate these stats are but if you look at this wiki page on fatalities attributed to traffic incidents, the US more than doubles Germany's rate per 100,000 people.

traffic fatalities by country

We have lots of people here that drive that shouldn't...They would ruin some people's day if they were let loose on the Autobahn.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

My apologies,I missed your point of your thread.

I wondered if you throw in the taffic casulities where are you more likely to die? In Germany or America?

The faster the speed limit is here,it seems the higher the accidents and casualties are.
But that is dependent on the roads and conditions.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
i wish we had the autobahn here! at least where I live most speed limits are 70-75mph
so you can go like 80-85 without much hassle but there is traffic most of the times in the morning and around 5pm-6pm when people get out of work...

but yah they pretty much throw you out the door in 5 minutes with a license in the usa lol you pay $25 and are not a complete retard you get a license..

When i took my written test the lady helped me on like 5 of the signs if she didn't i wouldn't have passed lmao I didn't study at all for the test just from what I learned driving with friends and family and most signs are common sense the only ones I didn't know were mostly for big trucks they have special signs, and i got a couple questions about snow and icey weather wrong but where i lived it NEVER got icy or that cold so I never really had any need to know that.

I use to race cars though on the drag and on the street in FL and basically we use to go to places where they have big warehouses and areas that aren't used at night and it would literally look just like a scene from fast and furious you would have hundred cars or more lined up on both sides of the road and have street races for hours. We use to race allot on the hwy there because the speed limit is so high on i-40 and if you aren't doing 90mph they will run you off the road lol 2 times i was in my evo 9 with my brother and cops hit there lights going the opposite direction fro us on the hwy and I just dropped it into 3rd gear got up to about 150 for 3-5 miles and pulled off the hwy onto side street they never find you... If you slow down or stop they will get you but if they are going the opposite direction especially you NEVER slow down or stop or you lose ur car and going to jail when you are racing in FL.

My brother ran from them once when they were behind him but they were far back and hit their lights idk why they would do that so he just hit and and kept on going and they didn't get him

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

That's interesting.

I wish I knew this info back when I discussed U.S. vs German car safety in a thread here on ATS about 1 year ago.
At that time we tried to figure out why exactly so much more people die in car-accidents in the U.S. compared to Germany.

reply to post by Merinda

You're not going to propose to ban cars now... are you?
edit on 28-12-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

I was just curious if you are just as safe in America when you factor in violent death in traffic. But it seems more people per capita die in traffic in US compared to Germany as somebody said above. Unless total numbers were compared, then its easier to achieve a higher death toll in a country of 300 Mil than in one of 80 mill.
edit on 29-12-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

You can't really go by raw numbers, simple statistics tells us that having nearly three times as many people in the US than Germany means we'll have more people die from the same causes. So, per capita is a better comparison between the two. If you really want to get to near population numbers go with statistics between the United States and the European Union, which has a population close to 300 million.

You're more likely to die in the US from firearms, car accidents and lack of health care than you are in Germany...or just about any other industrialized nation on the planet.

new topics

top topics

join