It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless Power Transfer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just thought this following article was interesting .
JUst wondering though about safety, in relation to the human body.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This was a friends facebook status yesterday.....

"So my dog Ahnah almost died today. We were walking down the street and when we went to cross the street Ahnah stepped into the road and a puddle. As she yelped and sqweeled I tried to control her and see what had happened as there was really no explanation!!! After I got her to the curb and she calmed down I inspected her to find no cuts or glass and she was walking fine. On our way back home we received a call from a friend that advised us that another dog had almost died, # itself and went into convultions! We walked back buy the spot to find fire trucks, police and hydro. When I spoke to the police I
He said that they think the area is energized with electricity!!!!!!!! I was nearly electructed alongside my dog! Just 5 minutes ago I spoke with the hydro guys that fixed the problem and the said " you have a claim. The whole area was energized with 347 V! !!!!!!!!! " Now if you know anyting about electricity your home has 110/120v and 220v for your drier and now 347 is a Voltage that KILLS! !!!!! AND IS EXTREAMLY DANGEROUS! !!! Anphnah and myself arr very lucky to be safe and ALIVE! !!! I WILL BE SEEKIMG LEGAL ADVISE AND MAKING A COMPLAINT! WTF HYDRO I COULD HAVE DIED TODAY HAD I PUT MY HAND ON THE GROUND TRYING TO CALM MY DOG WHO WAS BEING ELECTRICUTED! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrionsWitness
Just thought this following article was interesting .
JUst wondering though about safety, in relation to the human body.

Ok,going to look at your link,but it would have been nice if you add some more content from it and some of your own comments

So this is what you are referring to..........

A mobile phone that charges in your pocket, a flat-screen TV that needs no power cord, a car fueled by a cordless panel in the floor: In a nondescript building just outside Boston, these and other applications of wireless electricity signal a future with fewer snaking cables. WiTricity, a company spun off from research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), aims to redefine how people use energy, making it possible to power devices without ever plugging them into an outlet. In WiTricity's lab, various devices run on power transmitted via electric coils through the air. Plugged In, Virtually "It is not hard to imagine that in the next few years, you go to a coffee shop, sit down in a chair, sign into a power zone, and charge your phone or laptop," said Richard Martin, editorial director for Pike, a market research group that focuses on smart-energy solutions. "We predict this technology taking off in a similar fashion to how Wi-Fi got its start a decade or so ago." Martin says the industrial potential for wireless power is huge, especially in the realm of electric vehicles and wireless sensors, where harsh environments make it difficult to run wiring. In addition, he says wire-free electricity transmission is often a more convenient, greener alternative to conventional plug-in charging. (See related blog post: "Wireless Power Can't Yet Replace Utility Poles, but Could Offer More Options for Electronic Charging") "Part of this is that there is an obviously big space in the market waiting to be filled," Martin said.

edit on 28-12-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

You make good points, I should add more comments and add text snippets

Iam alas shy here on ATS.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

Wow what an experience, it is true sometimes there are short circuits to conductive areas that should be fully insulatd from a power source.
This wireless technology sounds very good and safe though.
It is interesting as it says their technology see liink....is 100 times safer than mobile phone.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse

"So my dog Ahnah almost died today. We were walking down the street and when we went to cross the street Ahnah stepped into the road and a puddle. As she yelped and sqweeled I tried to control her and see what had happened as there was really no explanation!!! After I got her to the curb and she calmed down I inspected her to find no cuts or glass and she was walking fine. On our way back home we received a call from a friend that advised us that another dog had almost died, # itself and went into convultions! We walked back buy the spot to find fire trucks, police and hydro. When I spoke to the police I
He said that they think the area is energized with electricity!!!!!!!! I was nearly electructed alongside my dog! Just 5 minutes ago I spoke with the hydro guys that fixed the problem and the said " you have a claim. The whole area was energized with 347 V! !!!!!!!!! " Now if you know anyting about electricity your home has 110/120v and 220v for your drier and now 347 is a Voltage that KILLS! !!!!! AND IS EXTREAMLY DANGEROUS! !!! Anphnah and myself arr very lucky to be safe and ALIVE! !!! I WILL BE SEEKIMG LEGAL ADVISE AND MAKING A COMPLAINT! WTF HYDRO I COULD HAVE DIED TODAY HAD I PUT MY HAND ON THE GROUND TRYING TO CALM MY DOG WHO WAS BEING ELECTRICUTED! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Where do you live and what kind of safety codes do you have? I suspect that the codes are lacking where you are for safety.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrionsWitness

You make good points, I should add more comments and add text snippets

Iam alas shy here on ATS.

It's ok.
We are all the same on here,some have more power with words than others.
But that's all.Just words.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

He lives in Vancouver somewhere.... freaky stuff.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm also curious about the safety of this...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
WiTricity is a rather neat near-field trick using magnetic fields. It probably isn't an issue for health. It's not very efficient though. And yeah, you're going to have a low-power diathermy machine charging your stuff, but people use those all the time. It OUGHT to be safe. Probably.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
And to think the scientific community called Tesla mad for his ideas on the wireless transfer of electricity. Well looks like he was right regarding its viability after all. The man was truly ahead of his time.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SonsOfTheMeek

Except Tesla was into e-field transfer. This isn't. No Tesla coils, no radio waves. Not even radiating EM at all. Just near field stuff.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
reply to post by SonsOfTheMeek

Except Tesla was into e-field transfer. This isn't. No Tesla coils, no radio waves. Not even radiating EM at all. Just near field stuff.

Excuse me, but Tesla was a pioneer in the field of resonant inductive coupling and a Tesla Coil, while capable of electrical discharges, is actually, at its heart, a resonant transformer. Don't just write off his contributions like that.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Overhead power lines = cancer.
Buried power lines = electrocution.

Oh, the irony.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionsWitness

So essentially a couple of posers sat down, and started decoding Tesla's confiscated documents. How nice...Not only did it take them about a 100 years, but they will likely even charge for it...What nice guys....
edit on 29-12-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse>snip<
" Now if you know anyting about electricity your home has 110/120v and 220v for your drier and now 347 is a Voltage that KILLS! !!!!! ...."
>snip

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse

Um... isn't it amperage that kills? Not voltage? If the amperage is low, 10 000 volts wont kill you. If you are going to make a legal claim, you might want to make sure you do your homework. Here is a link explaining all this. Amperage Kills Not Voltage

XL5

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
It is the voltage that helps the amps to flow, you need both for it to be lethal. I could touch a 12V battery that can supply 1 million amps and nothing will happen! I could touch 100KV at 1nano amp and nothing will happen. Its when you have both voltage and current that it can kill. 110V is not as bad as 240V, I have touched the two with the tips of my fingers on one hand, voltage does help get the current through.

As for magnetic power transfer, I think its a bad idea. The reason being that metal in the area will absorb at least some of the magnetic flux and heat up, I don't want my glasses frames to start heating up, nor my fillings. It could also induce stray voltages in other electronics.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
As for magnetic power transfer, I think its a bad idea. The reason being that metal in the area will absorb at least some of the magnetic flux and heat up, I don't want my glasses frames to start heating up, nor my fillings. It could also induce stray voltages in other electronics.
Possibly. I'm not that concerned about low power radio signals in the air, but transmitting higher power levels concerns me more. One thing we discovered with technicians in the military working close to microwave transmitters is that exposing them to higher power levels increased their risk of developing cataracts.

The effects of EM radiation on human tissue are not well understood, and being studied. The precautionary principle would suggest that we probably shouldn't make ourselves guinea pigs to find out what the effects of higher power levels on living tissue are, until the research progresses further.

However that said, I suspect if you plug in one of these wireless battery pack rechargers and put it in some un-used corner of your house, the risk to humans is pretty low. If however you put it on your desk close to where you work, I'm not so sure.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

edit on 12/29/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join