It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fun With Photonics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This is a really cool video explaining photonics in layman's terms. Some of the things they are doing in the lab with photonics are amazing. For instance, photonics could be the future of computing and replace much of the electronic processing power of a computer with light. Then there is the Star Trek tractor beam. They are moving microscopic particles in a liquid with nothing but light..

Having Fun With Photonics
edit on 28-12-2012 by happykat39 because: typo

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I love the idea of photon driven computing, holograms, telepresence and all the things that research and development of photonic systems can achieve. Especially the idea of a light driven tractor beam. However, I hate being condescended to, and this video is perhaps the most purile and utterly childish possible explanation of the principles involved. I couldnt watch it all the way through, because it was like being at a physics lecture lead by Barney the Dinosaur, Big Bird, and the Smurfs.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Typical ATS jump off thread that requires a litttle searching to find resources.
Used to be able to find more detailed information using in house search engines.

For Example

spiedigitallibrary.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Cauliflower

This is why i like ATS. Give me just enough info to peak my interest and i am off researching for myself. Nobody likes being told what to think. I only need enough to make me interested in getting more details. The thread does this for me. Mission accomplished.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
This is a really cool video explaining photonics in layman's terms. Some of the things they are doing in the lab with photonics are amazing. For instance, photonics could be the future of computing and replace much of the electronic processing power of a computer with light. Then there is the Star Trek tractor beam. They are moving microscopic particles in a liquid with nothing but light..

Having Fun With Photonics
edit on 28-12-2012 by happykat39 because: typo

Dont forget Eureka when they gave Holly Martin a photonic processor brain to go into her artificial body...
2nd..........

new topics

top topics

join