It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erratic Environment May Be Key to Human Evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
While I am a bible believing Christian, I still keep my mind open to the possibility that the six days of creation were not an actual six days as we know them today. So, in that vein of open mindedness I present to you this new study on the theory of evolution.

SOURCE

At Olduvai Gorge, where excavations helped to confirm Africa was the cradle of humanity, scientists now find the landscape once fluctuated rapidly, likely guiding early human evolution.These findings suggest that key mental developments within the human lineage may have been linked with a highly variable environment, researchers added.

The researchers discovered that Olduvai Gorge abruptly and routinely fluctuated between dry grasslands and damp forests about five or six times during a period of 200,000 years.

The research team's statistical and mathematical models link the changes they see with other events at the time, such as alterations in the planet's movement. See - 50 Amazing Facts About Earth

The researchers now hope to examine changes at Olduvai Gorge not just across time but space, which could help shed light on aspects of early human evolution such as foraging patterns.

Magill, Freeman and their colleague Gail Ashley detailed their findings online Dec. 24 in two papers in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

edit on 28-12-2012 by happykat39 because: clarified a point

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Adaptation has always been the key to our survival.
We did well during the ice ages where as other human species and mammals did not.
We will fare well during the coming warming.
The only thing that will destroy us all is our selves.

Or a really big asteroid.

new topics

join