It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Mom and similar shows promote and glamourize unplanned pregnancy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
There is no need to glam being a Teen mom in the country I live in because it is a well known, and very popular way to get a free house, and lots of free money. The more illegitimate children you bang out the greater the rewards for being lazy, and feckless become.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Care to include your country of origins?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
reply to post by hotel1

Care to include your country of origins?

Cor blimey guv' nor, do what mate, apples and pears, cup o tea god bless ya Mary Poppins.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

How is Costa Rica?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I've only seen one episode of this.

I'm not a parent and i'm 33, and it made me think twice about having kids

I would imagine that it's original intention was to show the hardships of being a very young parent and to try and put kids off having kids. But from the one episode i saw, i can see how it can also glamourise it.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

reply to post by hotel1

How is Costa Rica?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

reply to post by ZeussusZ

I still don't get why the same people bashing it are defending it.

Personally I am not bashing it but the claims based on your opinion of it because they are untrue and you are trying to pass them off as facts, here on ATS.

That doesn't make the show any better or any worse than it really is.

But since teen pregnancy is down it must be becuse of the show and not birth control in almost every purse and plan b at every pharmacy.

Well in any case it would seem that the show isn't keeping teens from having birth control in every purse or opting for plan b at every pharmacy.

What exactly is your point, because in the OP you tried to say it would cause more pregnancy and when shown that teen pergancy was down, you tried to say it was because there were more abortions. When shown that that is also down you claim that it is about STDs. Now it is just about the moms getting paid well for playing scripted roles. In any case the roles as scripted are not free of struggle.

We could make the same argument for every afterschool special ever made because the actors never really lived through what was shown on the shows and even earned a relatively good amount of money.

edit on 29-12-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Teen Mom 2 is one of my favorite shows. There's nothing appealing about the girls' lives though. They all seem like hardcore losers. Janelle isn't even a mom. Her mom takes care of her baby. She's a straight up idiot too. I can't imagine anyone looking at them as role models.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zinky
This show is Right Wing Breeding Propaganda.

Any way they can get more white babies - that's what they want.

Who else watches MTV except white girls of dubious intelligence?

That's a fairly nice troll there, however, I'm sure you can back this up with hard evidence?

Perhaps if your belief is genuine, maybe you're one of those wacko minorities with an inconspicuous agenda to "wipe whites out slowly" through interracial relationships.

Goes both ways.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
My teenager daughter watches the show. She sees these mothers having to give up their lives as a kid and struggle with problems they are not ready for. The other ones that dump off their kids to party she sees as loser d bags. And she has also noticed most of the baby daddies don't stick around. I think the show does let the kids know it's not worth it. She understands most of America doesn't get on these shows and the people that do are usually very stupid morally lax people. Don't discount the intelligence of most teenagers. Not all of them are hypnostised idiots.

she hasnt worked out that these ones are paid actors yet

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
My teenager daughter watches the show. She sees these mothers having to give up their lives as a kid and struggle with problems they are not ready for. The other ones that dump off their kids to party she sees as loser d bags. And she has also noticed most of the baby daddies don't stick around. I think the show does let the kids know it's not worth it. She understands most of America doesn't get on these shows and the people that do are usually very stupid morally lax people. Don't discount the intelligence of most teenagers. Not all of them are hypnostised idiots.

www.thehollywoodgossip.com...

www.eonline.com...

“Jenelle gets paid $75,000 a season and her mom gets paid $65,000: she calls her an overpaid babysitter,” a source says of the unemployed star.

As for Leah Messer, who recently married Jeremy Calvert, a source says she "believes she could make $100,000 just from her wedding,” and "makes the most of all the girls in Teen Mom 2 because she held out the longest on her contract.”

As for some of the earlier Teen Mom stars, Maci Bookout, who was in school at the time of the show, "was able to buy a house with her profits,” the source said. One sticking point among the cast? “The teen dads make a lot of money … the Teen Moms think it’s ridiculous because they don’t have to film nearly as much or do as much work,” the insider said. Or parent, in most cases.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

Nothing has changed with teenage pregnancy. I was a teen mom back in the 70's when it really carried a stigma and I lived in shame over the condition. Of course I have a wonderful son now who is a happily married man himself now. I was told that I would never find anyone who would want me with a child already in tow but in the late 70's I met my wonderful husband who took that boy in as his own and told everyone who knew us that he was not a step dad and that the only steps were the ones leading up to our front door where we will be living as a family from now on.
That was over 30 years ago and we are still married and have added to our family with two more boys who are also grown though the last one is only 17.
There will always be an issue with teen pregnancy because our natural conditon as reproducing mammals is that those feeling kick in as soon as a girl gets her first period and a boy reaches puberty. They cannot help the natural feelings that come up but they are not being educated on how to handle those feelings or how to protect themselves from pregnancy or disease. Lets not blame the kids, they do what comes naturally. We need to make sure that they are ready and that means education at a much younger age than is traditional. Lets stop making sex a nasty thing and put it where it belongs with the urge to eat and breath its a natural thing. Then once we have that in the right place we teach our youngsters how to protect themselves. We teach them self esteem so that they care enough about themselves to be actively involved in what will be their lives. Some may want to tell them to not have sex but that is not realistic as history bears out. They are going to have sex no matter what we do or say so lets keep them educated so they can keep themselves safe.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

doubt that the average teen is thinking that she can get a TV show. Really I was a teen girl and though I had a crush on David Cassidy I never once thought I had a chance wtih him.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
If you don't like it or think it's harmful to your children or to society as a whole, you know you can turn it off, right?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join