Teen Mom and similar shows promote and glamourize unplanned pregnancy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
Take a look at shows like teen mom. They take unwed teenage mothers and make them superstars. While schools and every other intellegent orginzations are trying bring down unplanned pregnancy rates shows like this show that having kids as teens is acceptable because it's enough to get these girls a TV show. They flaunt all their dirty laundry for the world to see and think its ok because they are famous. Now think of the babies they will grow up and find out that their moms and babies life story was bought because she was knocked up at 14 years old. How many young girls are going to see the show and think "i act like here if I get pregnant I can get on the show" you might think this is far off but young kids will glamourize anything they see on tv regardless if they understand what the see as negative or positive.

With all the ground work being laid for responsible reproduction they throw this trash on tv.

Thoughts?

Like when kids are little they will agree to be the robber because that is their fantasy at the time it's not until they are older do they understand the robber is not a glamourize role because they never heard of a real robber. These girls will fantasize about having a baby and then have one but you can't just think your way out of being a mom like you can think your way into the role of the cop later on in life.
edit on 28-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

Im surprised this thread hasnt gotten more flags and stars honestly.......

I find it telling, that so many people dont agree with you........perhaps its this mentality thats the reason the world is in the trouble its in.......

We uphold shows like this on TV.......shown to a people and culture who are proven to want to do ANYTHING to be famous for even 5 min...........and yet then we shut down shows like the gun show on TV that promotes , family, responsibility, and strong morals........all because it has GUNS in it.......

We are truly doomed

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

Give it up. Just because you think it could be done better doesn't mean that it is having any negative effect. More than enough proof of that has been posted.
edit on 28-12-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Anundeniabletruth

Since you didn't read all the post before attacking me I'll pass it off as ignorance.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Really? I suppose you could do that... Or, you could answer either of my questions. Of course if you do not have an answer that would make sense to anyone outside of your particular style of thinking then I would understand and accept passing it off as ignorance if that would be your preferred method of escaping a question you are incapable of answering.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

The moment you said I brought my religious views into play is when I decided to not respond but I'll bite.

I don't need to get aids, starve to death, get cancer or be aborted to know that those things are bad. Why would you even bring up whether or not I have staved to death?

When an egg and sperm meet and that cell starts to divide that would be a life form no? Unless science is wrong and that cell is dead killing said created life form which in time would be a human baby is murder no? If I kick a pregnant women in the stomach I murdered that child regardless if she is 1 day pregnant or 40 weeks but its ok for a mother to off said child with no reproductions because she or he simply don't want the baby. The thing with abortion is the dad has zero rights to said life. The mom could abort the child and nothing the dad can do that's ok right. So tell me why if I kill xx child by kicking her it's murder but if she does it even against the dads wishes its legal. That's simple science and common law.

Your mentality will never fit in a perfect world because no one would try to pick apart a utopia regardless of what definition it's called. If every man woman and child is fed clothed sheltered, educated and has a free role in society where one life holds no more or less weight than another is a perfect world. Find a flaw other than details that you and you alone will argue just to say society isn't perfect. humans are capable of doing this scientists and many other scholars agree this planet could support itself fully if everyone worked together.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

No... I agree with your last bit about a perfect world being possible IF everyone were willing to work together. BUT, that is the problem. How many different extremists groups do we have on this planet? Not all "extremists" have to be physically violent either. Groups like Westboro for instance.

In my country the biggest problem would be the Christians and the atheists. But I would have to agree with atheists on one thing, the world cannot be perfect as long as religions exists. My reasoning for such an opinion is because many people DO use violence because of their religion, or so they claim. What religion would this "perfect world" be? Would there be no religion?

You are wrong, the reason is not me alone, as you say. There is a whole world full of humans out there who are unwilling to agree with other people. I am merely an example, a very small and rather insignificant one, just as you are.

How would you advise getting started on this perfect world? I don't know you so I can't say whether or not you are religious and which religion you follow if you are. But if you are religious, then what would you advise we do with everyone who disagrees with your religious opinions? History has proven that it is truly impossible for everyone to get along as long as we have multiple religions.

I'm not an atheist by the way, and to be honest, I find many of them to be obnoxious.

As far as the abortion being death bit... Yeah, you are killing something that is technically "living." However, how "living" is it if it requires a life support system? Take away the mother and it dies. My point isn't that abortion isn't death. My point is that a quick and much less painful death is a much better alternative than a slow painful death and the only people who would ever disagree with that opinion are either sane people who are religious, or crazy people.

The reason I ever bring religion into play is because of the oxymoron of which we face in conservatives here in America. You see, many are against abortion because of their religion and would proudly admit that because they believe that their religion is the ultimate answer. However, the majority of those people are also very against welfare. That's where we are presented with a problem. Have many more poor children being born, thus increasing the need for "welfare," or don't have them being born. Or we could just let them starve to death.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't make any sense for someone who is against welfare to poor people to be against abortion, if they are truly "good" religious people and do not support making other living beings suffer. Teenagers aren't capable of providing for a family and there aren't any jobs out there that would pay them enough to do so... except for things like drug dealing and prostitution of course. So if a teen has an abortion then that means less welfare money being needed.

Don't take any of this the wrong way. I personally would prefer a person have the child and just have welfare assistance to help support the child if it is needed. But then again if the person is going to be an abusive or neglectful parent I would opt for an abortion over the lifetime of suffering that the foster system most often offers.

edit on 29-12-2012 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
You know, a hundred or two hundred years ago, teenagers were having children, and nobody got too upset about it. Life was harder then, and it forced teenagers to get jobs, go to war, and have children of thier own. Today's teens are coddled and it makes them soft. Thier adolescence extends into their 30's. This is one reason why teenage pregnancy is considered a negative thing.

The other reason is that our society programs people to make money/indulge, and having children "too soon" is a hindrance to that. What do "they" always tell you? "Don't get knocked up! It takes away your freedom! You won't be able to have the career you want! If you want to get a good education and a good job, you can't divide your time and loyalties!"

In other words, don't have kids, because we want you to slave for us and accrue debt instead.

You can't spend money on things you don't need if you have to buy formula and diapers.

That's why our society puts across the idea that teenage pregnancy represents some kind of failure. You're a bad slave/consumer if you breed. Put it off, use birth control, get an abortion-you've got some debt to rack up, like a good little American.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

The word religion is everything that is wrong with the worlds spirituality. To take it farther words themselves have ruined what was probably a successful system of spititual beliefes ( the ten commandments) as language and cultures changed all it took was for little changes in the holy scriptures, ie the few non consistsancies between the Torah, Koran and Bible for people to start fighting over the details because they believed so bad that they must follow the scriptures to the exact detail to get into heaven again with the bible, Torah And Koran.

To follow a scripture to exact detail is to lose free will. You have no free will if god demands compliance like those who shove bibles, torahs and korans in people faces and tell them to read or go to hell.

The spiritual world was never meant for physical humans to understand we are only to understand our physical world until we die and are born into the spiritual world.

Why would a god demand from us to understand something we can never fully understand.
Like people who have Out of body experiences who can read name tags of people working on them or what the doctor was doing while the person was "dead" we will never understand it and it's supposed to be that way.

When the religious leaders tried to condem science it was because knowledge is just as sought after as money but does knowledge really help humans progress? Our knowledge brought us more inventions of destruction than inventions of peace or in the benifit of humanity. Anything that is invented nowadays that has a large impact on humans Is almost always used in a negative way. Look at facebook and how long for the government to start running that show. Just think of what the government is creating to control us now and think of what they could have in ten years. I will cry that the USA stop inventing things because even if someone creates free energy something more cynical has been created.

All humans need to do is understand things and not know how they work.

For instance I understand that if I plant a seed it will grow into a plant that I can eat. Do I need to know how that seed made that plant that feeds me? No I only need to understand that if I plant it it will grow and nothing more. Once we start to know how something works we will never turn down the urge to "play" with it which is now not in our best interest because there wasn't anything wrong with the seed and needed zero changing. Look at GMO and what it's doing.

In a perfect world No one will care what each others beliefs are. I will answer to what I believe is my god and you are free to do the same with what ever you believe is your god.

I hope I made sense.

And religious anti contraception screams is only to create more followers of that religion. The ancients used condoms an contraceptives becuse they knew population control was important. It wasn't until religious groups needed followers that it was demonized.
edit on 29-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Okay. I see where you're coming from and you did make sense but I have to disagree with you because I would kill myself if I was expected not to desire knowledge. I'm an engineer so... If I was expected not to figure something out then I would have little to live for in exception for that which is expected of me. I know that you are wrong. while I have no issues with letting someone be who they are and want to be as long as they do not harm another in doing so, I know that war does not have to be the ultimate answer. The only way you could have the "perfect world" that you desire would be to eliminate those who do not desire that kind of lifestyle. It is human to desire to figure out why something is the way that it is and there is nothing wrong with being human. Some religions attempt to teach us otherwise.

While I do believe that there likely is a god or more than one of them, I do not believe a god is responsible for the 10 commandments. One is to worship it and no other. That's a contradiction in itself because if it's the only God then there would be no reason to say not to worship another. And my argument toward that one in particular is that a loving being would not demand you "worship" it. I love my wife and children but don't demand them to worship me.

It seems we have moved away from the OP. As far as those kinds of shows are concerned, as someone who became a parent as a teenager who grew up in poverty, I am disgusted by them. They do not properly represent life as a teenage parent and they make children seem like accessories to stupid teenage girls. Personally, I see nothing wrong with having children at an early age IF you are mentally capable and ready to be a parent. Unfortunately in America most people are not. As someone else already stated, we are taught to be the perfect obedient slave. In our society you are not allowed a job that will pay a family raising wage straight out of high school. That's a lot of the problem. I can't see why we can't have on the job training and let people skip the whole college thing since we usually don't learn jack related to the job in college anyway.

I don't think technology is our problem. I think that the people who we allow to have the control is the problem.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

The have a SHOW about that??? Oh, wow....and I thought it was bad enough that we had things like Toddlers and Tiaras.....

These days, more and more, it's clear someone out there doesn't want children to be allowed to BE children.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Name anything and it is glamourized on American TV. Want to see how much you can make working the street corner... Watch tv.. Want to learn how to make crack watch tv... Want to see 5 year old girls flaunt around in questionable attire and 6lbs of makeup... Watch Tv.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Take a look at shows like teen mom... Thoughts?

Are you SERIOUS?

Do people on ATS actually WATCH the "Illuminati's Favorite Network"

TV: The perfect mind control device...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Take a look at shows like teen mom... Thoughts?

Are you SERIOUS?

Do people on ATS actually WATCH the "Illuminati's Favorite Network"

TV: The perfect mind control device...

Apparently Teen Mom is educational television. Read some of the replies for interesting views from male and female perspective on the issue.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
these ridiculous, horrifying, stupid, preposterous, absurd television shows are on because of people actually watching them. don't be fooled.. if no one watches a show it'll get yanked in a heartbeat so yeah, the only thing worse than the shows themselves are "the people" who are watching them.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I guess the level of intelligence+good oldfashioned common sense of the viewer would strongly influence in what light young people see these shows-my 15 year old don't watch these shows,as she can't stand people so desperate for attention,ANY attention whatso ever,that they expose every part of their private lives out there for public consumption.She is aware of these,her older sister watched an episode once+mentioned it-Her opinion of these girls-witless idiots,Jerry Springer-style rubbish,etc.She often goes on about the fact that there's such a lot of this pointless crap on TV.If you raise your child as well as you can,and take the time to Talk to them about many different aspects of life,and they're fortunate enough to be sensible down to earth people by nature,they will see shows like this for what it is:A portrayal of pathetic people who are so desperate to be on TV,that they basically sell themselves+their personal lives,decency and privacy.Worse than prostitutes,really.A prostitute may still strive to keep some dignity-the type of people on these shows obviously don't feel the need to retain any-CUZ THEY GONNA BE ON TV!!! And apparently thats the heighth of human achievement for some,and nothing,however tasteless or asinine is going to stop them in their quest for tasting this glorious pinnacle of human evolution.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

That about sums it up! There is so much junk on, it's unreal. We have satellite, and half the time, there isn't anything on many channels but some "reality" program or other. What happened to television being entertainment?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
MTV is poison.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Yeah the glam of the big screen is as dangerous and destructive as drugs. "Addicted at attention". My higher up says not to be idolized so I will keep as low of a profile as I can. I have always wanted to act but I never want to be famous. I watch TMZ and feel bad for some of the celebs

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

“There is no question that these shows are affecting the conversation about teen pregnancy and teen motherhood,” said Sarah Brown, chief executive of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. “This generation of teens is very oriented to reality shows in general. They seek them and they believe them. These shows resonate powerfully.”

This lady just said that they are using reality shows to connect with the girls. Reality tv shows are not real life. In real life a tv crew won't follow you and your kid around. They don't tell these girls the moms get money from the show and in real life you will be flipping burgers. The moms are getting plastic surgery too everyone gets that in real life too.

Shoot a teen mom that takes the bus everywhere that is working at Denny's 6 days a week to make ends meet because she has no idea who the dad is and I'll get behind scaring these girls into not having kids. But show these girls driving brand new Benz and help and baby sitters oozing out of the woodwork and I'll say that it's rubbish.

These shows are scripted to be perfect tv so they feed in all the drama that keeps the ratings up and these girls take it as reality this leader of that org told me so. So do we really want teen mom teaching our young girls how to be moms becAuse that is what these shows are doing.

"82 percent of those who had watched “16 and Pregnant” said the shows helped them understand the challenges of pregnancy and how to avoid it. Only 15 percent said the show glamorized pregnancy."

You must be in the 15%. Theres nothing wrong with that.
My advice, stop watching it maybe.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

That poll is loaded as hell. Taken from the school where they show the episodes as educational teachings. When I was asked if I learned anything from videos in class you always say yes so you can watch more videos.

www.wetpaint.com...

K140$ for 6 episodes is struggling. Yup kept telling me that MTV is accurately portraying the life of teen moms so that others will learn from it and not just another trashy drama. But since teen pregnancy is down it must be becuse of the show and not birth control in almost every purse and plan b at every pharmacy.

I still don't get why the same people bashing it are defending it.
edit on 29-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join