Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Teen Mom and similar shows promote and glamourize unplanned pregnancy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Take a look at shows like teen mom. They take unwed teenage mothers and make them superstars. While schools and every other intellegent orginzations are trying bring down unplanned pregnancy rates shows like this show that having kids as teens is acceptable because it's enough to get these girls a TV show. They flaunt all their dirty laundry for the world to see and think its ok because they are famous. Now think of the babies they will grow up and find out that their moms and babies life story was bought because she was knocked up at 14 years old. How many young girls are going to see the show and think "i act like here if I get pregnant I can get on the show" you might think this is far off but young kids will glamourize anything they see on tv regardless if they understand what the see as negative or positive.

With all the ground work being laid for responsible reproduction they throw this trash on tv.

Thoughts?

Like when kids are little they will agree to be the robber because that is their fantasy at the time it's not until they are older do they understand the robber is not a glamourize role because they never heard of a real robber. These girls will fantasize about having a baby and then have one but you can't just think your way out of being a mom like you can think your way into the role of the cop later on in life.
edit on 28-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I think you're absolutely correct. I think, initially, it was a good premise for a show. It was supposed to document the struggles of having a child so young. But as the seasons progress and you see these people , with no jobs, getting nice new cars it starts to make the lifestyle more appealing to young people with no direction.
edit on 28-12-2012 by MJZoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
agreed
but i think youre making the age of the audience a larger issue than it really is
i see fully grown adults acting like this all the time
14 is old enough to know better and most do but some will do it anyway because thats just who they are and no amount of time is going to change that
and as long as we have a culture that rewards greed and ignorance thats what were going to have to live with

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

Have to disagree with you there. When I watch teen mom It makes it look like being a young mother is a big hassle.
Saying it's acceptable or not is irrelevant, as anything goes these days.

"hey take unwed teenage mothers and make them superstars. " I can't remember one name of these superstars.
edit on 28-12-2012 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

Struggles... Really. All the girls do perfectly fine given their situation due to all the help they get because it's a TV show. Now is your every day teen mom driving around getting all this special help out of nowhere. Where are the girls that drop out because their school don't have day care or even finish school because they work at McDonald's for the rest of their life like real teen moms are doing these days.

That one girl that went to jail blew up because she went to jail then they did specials on her because she got locked up. I don't know their names off hand but show me any two seconds of anything teen mom and I can tell you it's a teen mom episode.

A few years ago being a teen mom was a curse because of the hardships now it's like a free pass to easy street.

Get knocked up now and you can get special schooling and all this aid and you can go after baby dad for child support and food stamps and welfare.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Of course;

U.S. teen pregnancy rates at an all-time low across all ethnicities

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Care to add what the abortion rate was? Just because a baby wasn't born doesn't mean it wasn't created!!

An abortion is as easy to get as a double cheeseburger these days.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
Of course;

www.cbsnews.com...

Bears repeating for our friends in denial who wish to change the subject to one about abortion because they are so ill informed they actually believe that getting an abortion is just as easy as getting a cheeseburger.

edit on 28-12-2012 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

Of course;

www.cbsnews.com...

Bears repeating for our friends in denial who wish to change the subject to one about abortion because they are so ill informed they actually believe that getting an abortion is just as easy as getting a cheeseburger.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This show is Right Wing Breeding Propaganda.

Any way they can get more white babies - that's what they want.

Who else watches MTV except white girls of dubious intelligence?

What I noticed, from those I look at on Fake Book - the Famblee Oriented Republicans - older ones, married with kids, like this show too.

Pretty odd to see middle aged men and women discussing the characters on this mess. But, they were likely in the same boat once themselves, too.

Breeding Propaganda. That's all it is.

Same thing with "Abstinence Only" sex ed. This is *designed* to get people to breed more. Esp. teens - you tell them not to do something - they do it all the more.

It's a common psychological tactic. Works great, too. The Catholic Church were early pioneers of this tactic. Make things "forbidden" - you get people to do them all the more.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
reply to post by infolurker

Care to add what the abortion rate was? Just because a baby wasn't born doesn't mean it wasn't created!!

An abortion is as easy to get as a double cheeseburger these days.

Which is a good thing for us all. Even those hardcore conservative type... because less children being born into a family that can't financially support it means less gubment dollas being spent to keep the non existent child up. I'm just not seeing the problem here.

Or am I to assume that letting a child be born and starve to death because some people are against welfare is a better option than an abortion?
edit on 28-12-2012 by Anundeniabletruth because: Addition

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
My teenager daughter watches the show. She sees these mothers having to give up their lives as a kid and struggle with problems they are not ready for. The other ones that dump off their kids to party she sees as loser d bags. And she has also noticed most of the baby daddies don't stick around. I think the show does let the kids know it's not worth it. She understands most of America doesn't get on these shows and the people that do are usually very stupid morally lax people. Don't discount the intelligence of most teenagers. Not all of them are hypnostised idiots.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

While it's true IMO that the media promotes negative behavior, its also true that art imitates life. One of two things need to happen. We either need to start taking responsibility for the way we live (lifestyle, govt. etc.), or stop giving the media a pass on this type of programming (turn the tube off). The former is a more effective but less likely to happen solution as nobody wants to take responsibility. The latter may help some. Seriously, WTF is wrong with human beings? Are we so weak that we cant recognize a problem and contribute together for the solution?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me in the least that these kids form a support group for one another.
"Narcissists of America" would work very well.
These self absorbed children and the producers of this much hyped trash need to get a life.
Toss in that show about 6 year old "beauty" or "talent" qeens and send the whole ragged lot to several dozen years of nuch needed therapy.
End rant.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
My teenager daughter watches the show. She sees these mothers having to give up their lives as a kid and struggle with problems they are not ready for. The other ones that dump off their kids to party she sees as loser d bags. And she has also noticed most of the baby daddies don't stick around. I think the show does let the kids know it's not worth it. She understands most of America doesn't get on these shows and the people that do are usually very stupid morally lax people. Don't discount the intelligence of most teenagers. Not all of them are hypnostised idiots.

Good points. My guess is the OP is male. Females tend to spot issues that males totally miss. Probably because they can relate better and take the issue more personally.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

I'm not worried about the smart one who know better. It's like Daniel toshs joke. I don't need to pander to the 1% they will do just fine on their own. It's the no so smart that we are worried about. I'm sure your daughter is very bright and does well in school.

Flip on Maury every now and then and you will see the ones I am worried about these shows effecting.

And to the person about abortion is better than a starving mouth which is like saying getting aids is better than cancer.

The point to my topic is these girls are not living A REAL LIFE they are getting lots of help and those of us who have been around babies or have kids know this.

The real teen mom is a high school drop out flipping burgers while a friend watches her kid along with her own 2 kids.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

Of course;

www.cbsnews.com...

As much as people might not agree with me but I think the whole pro abortion drive is being fueled by teens requesting so many abortions. Remember that some info on minors under 18 might not be accessible. I also hate to say that abortion is turning it to big business nowadays.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

"I don't know their names off hand" not really superstars then.

You forget the child. You still have to look after it.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

I might not know every name to the cast of friends but if I say their face I would know they were famous.... If you are on a tv show you are famous regardless if some dude knows your name or not. I don't follow the show I have seen enough of it to know that their lives are staged and it's bad tv for the world youth.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
It all goes back to the parent being responsible for teaching and not allowing a reality show to do that. Parents need to get their heads out of the sand and stop pretending they have a perfect teenager that does no wrong. The fact is they have hormones and and underdeveloped brain and need information and guidance. That is the best way to feel assured they are not letting entertainment guide them. ALOT of people don't want to deal with the fact that a high school kid has real life issues and life choices, and most are not prepared.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join