learn more

Chicago Reaches 500 Murders in 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Chicago is often listed as one of the toughest gun law cities in the country. Illinois does not allow concealed carry. This year they recently hit 500 murders which isn't that much more than normal. This is a perfect example of how gun laws wont change a thing. Sorry to open up the whole gun discussion again but I thought this was interesting. Search engine was down mods so im assuming this hasnt been up.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
it is interesting i'd just like to see everyone happy with a plan in the middle but there isn't one yet!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
500 murders (most with guns) in the most restrictive gun controlled city (in America) proves that GUN CONTROL does Not work. I appreciate that something has to be done in Chicago to stop the gun violence. Gang bangers are not what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they sought to secure the right to keep and bear arms for citizens who would be a civilian militia. If the government is planning on rounding up citizens and collecting guns then why dont they start and finish with the criminals?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

No OP don't be sorry. It amazes me how this dumphole city has the worst gun related crime in America but no one is attemptin to address the gun issue there. Why, because no one cares about all of that. It takes a couple disturbances in some quiet town for people to wake up on these things

Governments loves to be biases on certain things. For the fact that our President comes from Chicago he should been trying to make a difference there and help curb the crime ridden city.

Politics as usual.
edit on 28-12-2012 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)
edit on 28-12-2012 by sylent6 because: android typos

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
You know I don't really know where the answer lies either....Its like one of those scenarios that will never be solved until other social issues are fixed first.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This is the biggest proof that gun control does not work! So sad that ignorant people still think that gun control = safety with numbers like those.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

until other social issues are fixed first

That the root of most of the problem. As the gap widens it should be no surprised it gets worse.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yea, CHICAGO, hows those STRICT GUN CONTROL LAWS treating you all??

OH, not so good I see...

Maybe because STRICT GUN CONTROL LAWS is BACKWARDS thinking, eh?

YEP.
edit on 28-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Take it from me, I live here in Chicago, there are MANY areas that I wouldn't consider going to even in the day time with cops all around me... South-West sides of Chicago are like Mogadishu...And sadly, a lot of the crime spills over from the crap neighborhoods to the nice "safe" neighborhoods.... The strict gun laws here do NOTHING... Sad truth to the current debacle we're facing here...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Take it from me, I live here in Chicago, there are MANY areas that I wouldn't consider going to even in the day time with cops all around me... South-West sides of Chicago are like Mogadishu...And sadly, a lot of the crime spills over from the crap neighborhoods to the nice "safe" neighborhoods.... The strict gun laws here do NOTHING... Sad truth to the current debacle we're facing here...

Thank you for the info!!!!

The strict gun laws here do NOTHING... Sad truth to the current debacle we're facing here...

There we have it folks, directly from the SOURCE!!

I used to live in an area of strict gun control laws too (NY). And now I dont. I agree fully that strict gun does NOTHING good at all. In fact, it goes unbelievably bad for the good guys who become defenseless. And the bad guys go unchecked with full power and control on their side. NOT GOOD for the good guys. But GREAT for the bad guys. As is ALWAYS the case here in America!!!!!!!!

Only [color=gold]CRIMINALS, TRAITORS, and BRAINWASHED SHEEPLE are in favor of strict gun control in America.

edit on 28-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Only 6 homicides in my home town of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (population of 721k)! Which is suspiciously low considering the trash that frequents downtown. No guns involved, btw.
edit on 28-12-2012 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
500 murders (most with guns) in the most restrictive gun controlled city (in America) proves that GUN CONTROL does Not work. I appreciate that something has to be done in Chicago to stop the gun violence. Gang bangers are not what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they sought to secure the right to keep and bear arms for citizens who would be a civilian militia. If the government is planning on rounding up citizens and collecting guns then why dont they start and finish with the criminals?

No it doesn't. Anything that happens in America proves nothing, because you're drowned in guns, nothing will work. America is different from other counties where gun control does indeed work, America is stuck, it will have one of the highest murder rates in the world no matter what happens. Gun control or no gun control, it's due to guns. It's too late, it will get worse either way.

Therefore it's pointless arguing for or against it.

Also, you can't have gun control in part of America and not the rest, if you're surrounded by guns then of course it won't work anyway.
edit on 28-12-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

This actually reminds me of something...I lived in Germany for 3 years...I was excited to see they were playing the movie Gladiator one day (in German). It got to a scene where Russel Crowe takes on like 5 guys at once...one of my favorite parts. The battle started and then bam...it was to the end of the scene skipping all the combat haha...I thought how weird that they cut out all the violence..but that was just it...I was so accustomed to the action scenes that in Germany it was too hard core for them...

The counter to that is they are much more open about sex and even have topless women in their commercials.

You bring up some good points...

The US is just a nation of warriors...I mean many of our ancestors revolted against a government or had the balls to migrate and take a huge risk...our genes are aggressive and it multiplies as we feed off each other...idk it has advantages and disadvantages.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Appeals court overturns Illinois concealed carry law in gun rights victory

blogs.suntimes.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
There is rampant violent crime in Chicago because of gangs. There are gangs because of extreme poverty, lack of opportunity, deplorable quality schools, and lack of parental guidance.

The gun ban didn't work in Chicago because there are guns all over the place in the USA. Nothing is stopping you from going and buying them.

edit on 29-12-2012 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

The US is just a nation of warriors...I mean many of our ancestors revolted against a government or had the balls to migrate and take a huge risk...our genes are aggressive and it multiplies as we feed off each other...idk it has advantages and disadvantages.

This is a lame excuse. Every nation is a nation of "warriors" and immigrants. Also, there isn't a "warrior" gene that gets passed down from age to age because your great great great grand dad fought in the civil war.

The US media glorifies crime and violence. From Mafioso movies/shows, Gangster rap, and shows (Dexter) romanticizing a serial killer. It also worships capitalism, and crime is just a fast way to make some cash.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

Gun crime and homicides by guns have fallen in NYC. NYC has the lowest crime rate of the big cities comparable to population.

Starting in 2005, New York City achieved the lowest crime rate among the ten largest cities in the United States. Since 1991, the city has seen a continuous fifteen-year trend of decreasing crime. Neighborhoods that were once considered dangerous are now much safer. Violent crime in the city has dropped by three quarters in the twelve years ending in 2005 with the murder rate at its lowest then level since 1963 with 539 murders that year, for a murder rate of 6.58 per 100,000 people, compared to 2,245 murders in 1990. In 2009, the low would be displaced. Among the 182 U.S. cities with populations of more than 100,000, New York City ranked 136th in overall crime.

As of December 31, 2007 New York City had 494 reported homicides, down from 596 homicides in 2006. This marked the first year since 1963 (when crime statistics were starting to be published) that this total was fewer than 500.

In 2008, there were 523 reported murders, a 5.2% rise from the previous year.

In 2009 the murder rate was recorded at an almost fifty-year low at 466. This was more than a 10% decline from the previous year, and the lowest count during the period that crime statistics have been recorded.

Murder rate in New York City hits a record low with 414 homicides in 2012

Slayings drop by nearly 20 percent from this time last year. Shootings fall to their lowest point in 18 years

Bloomberg compared New York’s murder rate — the lowest rate per 100,000 residents amongst the 25 most populated cities — to other famous cities in the country.

The murder rate in the city plunged to a record low this year — and the number of shootings plummeted to their lowest point in 18 years, officials said.

As of Friday, there were 414 homicides investigated since the beginning of the year — about 19% less than the 471 killings reported at the same time in 2011.

It was the lowest number of murders since cops began keeping a reliable log of homicides in 1963.

“That’s a blessing,” said Isitro Bennito, manager of Bagels and Beyond in Gravesend, Brooklyn.

“The murder rate is dropping and that’s great news.”

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
My first wife and I were married for 16yrs and had four children. Ten of those years, I was a cop, as was she for about 2. We managed to raise those children in a safe and loving environment with NO incidents. There were guns in the house and they knew it. The oldest knew where they were secured, but he also knew how to safely handle them, how to load them and how to fire them. He also knew what they could do. We had a plan that the entire family knew and understood. It was ENFORCED and the consequences of even the slightest infraction of the rules were swift and memorable.
I would not feel at all uncomfortable in stating that that probably describes 99+% of gun owners in America who are not criminals.
The rest, well, take Chicago; 500 homicides, most with firearms, most among so called "Gang Bangers" against each other, or any one who interferes. Rather than open a can of worms about root causes, trends and other useless "demographic constructs", I will just call them what they are, CRIMINALS. Laws only give them room for expansion in their chosen profession. Sure as hell don't scare em or deter em. They know they likely won't do any hard time or face ANY serious consequences. So they don't care.
The Criminal Justice Industrial Complex is busy with more pressing shat like Drivers License Offenses and the insidious pot culture. No more cells left. So they don't care.
Perhaps Sen. Feinstein will pass a law making it unlawful to "not care".
How do you legislate that away?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I knew kids from the south side of Chicago (kids who were fortunate to make it out) and they use to tell stories from when they were in High School that it was easier to get a gun then it was to get alcohol..... That there told me all I needed to know about the area and the times...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

I was born and raised in Hamilton and it was a little rough but I am sure glad I was not born in Chicago as 500 murders seems like a lot.

My personal opinion on the whole gun thing is very simple, guns should 100% be allowed to be owned by law abiding people with no bad history. I also think any people who break gun laws should get extremely harsh jail sentences like 2 years min for some thug who gets caught with a gun and LIFE in prison for gun crimes. If they also licence firearms like they do with vehicles where you actually have to somewhat prove you know what your doing that would also help.

I do not agree with a free market system for guns where basically a regular nobody can get guns untracked and unchecked as I would not want people driving cars with no insurance or id plate. Most people are normal and sane but some people are morons and are the reason we should at least know where the guns are going and who they are going to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join