Help ATS: What to eat to be well?

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
So New Year's is coming. This year the resolution is not to drop that 20 pounds (though I wouldn't mind if I did!), it is simply to be healthy. But, that isn't really all that simple is it? GMO, antibiotics, transfat, fake fat, things I can't pronounce, etc. So, let me run down where I am at in terms of what I like to eat and my available resources and then I would love, love, love some input into where and what to actually get to eat. I figure that the ATS crew that is interested in food probably has more of the right information than an awful lot of people including nice, well meaning doctors who just don't realize how much the food supply itself has changed in the past 20 years. I grew up with most of our recipes straight out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I was always healthy and fit. I now, as noted, need to drop 20 pounds and feel horribly out of shape. There is a family history of autoimmune disease and I am going to be trying to reduce inflammatory foods while still keeping things kind of "normal."

**I am fully aware that ATS is not a replacement for doctor and nutritionist care, I have access to both and they just aren't getting the job done. I am taking matters into my own hands and asking for your help**

So,
I like red meat. I figure I should be moving to grass fed and antibiotic free. Amazon seems to have a nice assortment of these products available and unless I get better advice here that is the direction that I will probably move.

I am not a vegetable fan. I also don't have a ton of room (or currently the right weather) to grow them.
I do like green beans and will eat spinach in a salad. Cauliflower *can* be eaten. Carrots aren't liked but are sometimes tolerated. This is also true of things like butternut squash.

I am a fan of eggs.

I like potatoes and sweet potatoes. I love bread and crescent rolls and the like but want to move away from them. I have done Atkins in the past and it was really, really good for my body. It was just too hard to stick with truly long term.

I love corn but suspect it is most likely GMO at this point and so should avoid it.

Resources: I can certainly spend 170 to 220 a week on groceries for myself, spouse, and child. This really is a priority so if had to go up from that I would but, spending less and still eating right would be better. Probably going to buy and extra freezer so large orders would be okay.

So ATS, books to read, sites to shop (are we allowed to suggest those?), recipes that make the healthy sublime? All help appreciated.

edit on 28-12-2012 by watcher3339 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It's more a case of what not to eat to be well. I highly recommend completely cutting wheat out of your diet. Within a week, you'll feel different...within a month, you'll feel amazing....within 6 months, you'll be a changed person. I also recommend cutting out dairy (although I sometimes have a little organic bio yoghurt because the bacteria in it does my gut good) and sugar.

Basically, research the paleo diet - but adapt it so that it works for you. I was never one for following rules but I took the basic principles from it and integrated them into my life and lost 3 1/2 stone with absolutely no effort and I'm fitter and healthier than I've ever been.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Drink LOTS of lukewarm water or tea. Green and black tea with sugar or honey at half strength is best.

Eat what you want one day and the next day eat very little and ONLY things you know to be healthy
whole foods...but only eat once a day.

Drink and ounce or two of alcohol every day. (red wine is best--I prefer Jack Daniels)

I haven't been sick since the eighties

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This is what has worked for me, though it might not work for everyone else - try to stick to the paleo diet as close as possible, mainly by cutting out bread / pasta / sugar / grains / flour / dairy. Drink lots of water, don't get your calories from sugary drinks. If you drink alcohol do so in moderation with red wine being your best bet. Balance your diet with exercise. Good luck!
edit on 28-12-2012 by allstarninja because: typo's

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I think that it is interesting that two of you have already recommended Paleo since that has been one of the things I have been looking at the past couple of days. I really do appreciate your input. I am too young to feel as tired as I do and am really determined to do something about it!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yes, and I also second water....and lots of it! I highly recommend the book, "Your Body's Many Cries for Water" by F. Batmanghelidj.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I only eat organic food, I also avoid as much as possible all dairy. Just occasionaly I have no choice and I'm forced to buy NON organic food and it always leads to uncomfortable stomach and headaches. Therefore, I would suggest that you eat whatever you want, just keep it organic.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The bottom line is to have a balanced diet. That said I cut out salt and a lot of cholesterol 10 years ago.
I allow myself bacon/sausage and eggs about once a week. You still need those lubricants. They have a bad rep because people were eating them every day and clogging up the arteries. Once a week won't kill you. And that's some damn tasty vittles.

Meat's meat. We need it. We're omnivores. Just watch out for excessive fat. Yes ribs are the best meat around but they are also fatty. Steaks, roasts and chops are tasty and have less fat. Did I mention to not use salt? Just checking. That's a biggie. Effects your brain and heart. Pepper is your friend.

Veg. No one is going to like them all but they are essential. I'm not talking about salad. I mean veg. Broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, beans(MANY different types) and the fruit that we all think of as a veg.... tomato. Those are cancer killers. Now to my 2 favorite veg.... potato and corn. Good for the digestive tract.

But sometimes you just want to eat out: I prefer Chinese. See above.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If you like corn.....drink Bourbon! ....but seriously, look up raw energy recipes. And I agree it's what you don't eat that makes you healthier.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

If you have extra money to spend, I would advise finding a free-range butcher. It seems that animals that live a happy life taste better and are of course healthier to consume. I also purchase free-range eggs. They are pricey but taste ten times better.

Lately I've been consuming many nuts. They lower cholesterol quicker than any other food; and after a few months of including them as an important part of my diet, I already notice a significant change in overall well-being. Of course high fiber foods or anything that keeps the intestinal tract clean and healthy are very worthwhile.

Good luck. you will find that choosing proper nutrition will have a significant and very noticeable effect on your quality of life.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Oh, I do like green tea and have decided to make it at home instead of purchasing pre bottled. I do suspect that sugar is basically a very, very tasty poison. Water. It is probably true that I don't drink nearly enough. I actually could purchase half a free range, grass fed cow living locally but while I was really excited about that at first it turns out the farmer uses antibiotics and told me that they think everyone, even those as advertised without must use them.

I have also "became" lactose intolerant in the past few years. While middle age should, according to current media reports, make that somewhat normal for a caucasian, it didn't happen to any of the family members a generation ahead of me which now makes me think that the difference is the milk more so than me. I rarely drink milk anymore (too bad because I like it) though I do still eat yogurt several times a week.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I didn't know it was called a paleo-diet or even had a name or scholar behind it.

I thought about food a long time ago and put these three things together:

1. Eat what humans have been eating for thousands of years--whole foods, raw and cooked,
and probably only one or two meals a day. (I figured it would be best on the digestive system
of this body I am wearing to mimic what my ancestors ate. )

2. I learned some time ago that periods of starvation had been linked health and long-life and the
reason seemed to be that the body would repair aged cells rather than replace them. So I
decided to kind of fast every other day...it became easy after awhile. I do eat but I try to eat
very little and very healthy...I mess up alot though, but it is a habit now.

3. I just instinctively knew water was best to drink, and tea has been around for ages...not iced drinks,
and I knew that iced drinks could possibly slow the digestive process, so I drink room temperatute
tea...I mix green and black (so my family can stomach it--and then I water mine down by half and
drink ALOT).

Hmmm Paleo-diet...I thought it was my own damned Idea....s'ok I thought I was the first one to come
up with the idea that aliens had seeded our genome

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Hydrate, of course, and add lots of Vitamin C supplements (see the threads on this site about C). The major genetic disease that all humans have is lack of ascorbic acid (C) in our bodies because primates - once you get past lemurs - can't make it any longer. Genetically broken. All other animals, plants, insects and germs make it in their body, except for guinea pigs. Anyway, take a 1000mg tablet at least three times a day or more, and do it for the rest of your life.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Depends on your family history and race.

There are genetic tests out now that'll assist you (I think, I'm not willing to shell out 500 bucks for junk crystal ball type readings myself).

Always Stay away from all White processed carbs (white rice, white flour, white bread, white sugar, white etc...)

If you are mainly white - stay away from soy. (Stick with your family history of carbs for your current carbs - if your clan usually ate potatoes then eat them. If they were bread eaters - eat bread. etc).
If you are of a native american background - stay away from high glycemic foods (Glycemic).
Pacific Islanders - carbs should only be from root tubers.
African - pretty mixed group if you are from America, but stay away from high sodium foods & carbs should also be from root tubers and/or beans.
South Eastern Asians - minimize wheat/barley/rye foods.

For meats: Whites stick with Beef. Asians with Pork and fish. Africans with pork. Pacific Islanders Fish of course and other low fat content sea foods. Chicken (and all eggs) can almost be eaten by all races/cultures without issues.

This is just from my observation of different places I've visited. The 'white man' diet is fattening for most other non-white cultures due to it's starch content...but it's the type of starch that seems to cause a havoc. It's almost never the amount of calories that a person eats, but the type of calories they eat that causes issues. But eating a huge amount of calories will cause you to get fat - that should be a no brainer...

So for you - what you should eat to be well will be a trial and error matter. You should start with your race/family's foundation and work on that. Most will tell you to stay away from processed foods - which you should. They will also tell you to stay away from wheat/barley/rye - which you can try.

I'd start out with Chicken meat as a protein source. Root veggies as my starch (since that seems to be good with any race and causes almost no issues). Above ground veggies for my regular veggies (Trying to keep the veggies in the Alkaline category - Google alkaline veggies for more info). Try that for a week - then build on that.

This is just my opinion and is based on little medical fact.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I really do thank you all for your continued insight. I cannot help but be increasingly skeptical of the quality of a lot of the food available in the U.S. I think for me the final straw in that category was the realization that GMO foods are outlawed in many developed countries but here they aren't even labeled! Even without a tin foil hat that is cause for pause!

I like the idea of looking further into the "what my people ate" idea. I have considered it before and wondered if it is possible that the U.S. has so many log term food related diseases because as such a diverse and intermixed group we have more than one family tree to draw from and have assimilated yummy foods from so many places that we no longer default to eating what we used to eat.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

There's a woman that overcame multiple sclerosis through eating. She did a TED talk on it. I'll see if I can find it again. I really enjoyed the talk even though I'm not changing my crappy diet.

Phew! Took a while but I found it.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It was very nice of you to look for that video for me. Thank you. I haven't watched it yet but I will make a point of doing so.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Holy crap - this woman is my new hero. She eliminated almost all carbs from roots and grains - just stuck with veggies and smart meats (organ and grass fed meats plus fish). Stuck with the hunter/gather diet mindset...she failed to mention that the inuite don't need veggies cause their bodies adapted centuries ago...that and they ate organ meats-which are like natures vitamin pills when eaten raw...which they did eat raw on many occasions. Wiki Link for Inuit stuff

Glad she found her diet of wellness - sure most of us are still searching. With me being a half breed - I found that a diet with any white rice carb does not go over well with me. Eating white rice (american long grain - haven't tried basmati - tried Jasmine rice...almost puts me into a diabetic coma everytime) causes me to gain a few pounds. Once I eliminate the white rice and use skin on potatoes (never refrigerated) and/or brown rice, my weight drops 3lbs that week. I usually jack up the amount of veggies I eat too - more garlic is a must. I always eat at least 2 eggs a day (the EB or NH ones - the veggie fed hens...or at least I hope they are) which are loaded with Omega3's and Iodine (or at least the food label states).

Everyone has that aunt or uncle that ate the same thing forever (and smoked and drank everyday) and seemed to live that long. Others with Mediterranean relatives that lived a long life eating the diet of the area. Some with Okinawan relatives that are still kicking eating the same low cal stuff they always have been eating. Just boils down to 'What to eat to be well - for you'.

Hope we all find the diet that is perfect for ourselves. Maybe this year will be the one where we do. Happy New Year y'all.

-CN

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Holy crap - this woman is my new hero.

No kidding! From wheel chair to bike from just changing her diet. She is one incredible lady.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339

So New Year's is coming. This year the resolution is not to drop that 20 pounds (though I wouldn't mind if I did!), it is simply to be healthy. But, that isn't really all that simple is it? GMO, antibiotics, transfat, fake fat, things I can't pronounce, etc. So, let me run down where I am at in terms of what I like to eat and my available resources and then I would love, love, love some input into where and what to actually get to eat. I figure that the ATS crew that is interested in food probably has more of the right information than an awful lot of people including nice, well meaning doctors who just don't realize how much the food supply itself has changed in the past 20 years. I grew up with most of our recipes straight out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I was always healthy and fit. I now, as noted, need to drop 20 pounds and feel horribly out of shape. There is a family history of autoimmune disease and I am going to be trying to reduce inflammatory foods while still keeping things kind of "normal."

**I am fully aware that ATS is not a replacement for doctor and nutritionist care, I have access to both and they just aren't getting the job done. I am taking matters into my own hands and asking for your help**

So,
I like red meat. I figure I should be moving to grass fed and antibiotic free. Amazon seems to have a nice assortment of these products available and unless I get better advice here that is the direction that I will probably move.

I am not a vegetable fan. I also don't have a ton of room (or currently the right weather) to grow them.
I do like green beans and will eat spinach in a salad. Cauliflower *can* be eaten. Carrots aren't liked but are sometimes tolerated. This is also true of things like butternut squash.

I am a fan of eggs.

I like potatoes and sweet potatoes. I love bread and crescent rolls and the like but want to move away from them. I have done Atkins in the past and it was really, really good for my body. It was just too hard to stick with truly long term.

I love corn but suspect it is most likely GMO at this point and so should avoid it.

Resources: I can certainly spend 170 to 220 a week on groceries for myself, spouse, and child. This really is a priority so if had to go up from that I would but, spending less and still eating right would be better. Probably going to buy and extra freezer so large orders would be okay.

So ATS, books to read, sites to shop (are we allowed to suggest those?), recipes that make the healthy sublime? All help appreciated.

edit on 28-12-2012 by watcher3339 because: (no reason given)

I read autoimmune issues. that raises a few questions. What is your normal body temperature? What is your heart rate.

The food you eat sounds like the diet I have to eat to stay healthy. Many people around here eat meat potatoes, and some veggies like green beans, corn, root veggies, etc... Not all of the people have to eat these around here but tradition was formed to avoid something that was occuring amongst the people of a certain area or genetic group. It was easier to follow the age tested diet than to try deviating and possibly get sick. I know a lot about this particular subject but cannot quite tell exactly who needs to eat this way. I see many people straying from the diet locally and having bad results. It is a metabolic syndrome.

new topics

top topics

join