It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Language is the biggest thought control

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamdavid
For many years I have always thought our language, whatever it is we think in, is the biggest limit to what we can be.

Everything we think has to go thru our ability to find words or a concept of words.

Free thinking, concept and ideas, in this age we live in, must abandon the (extremely) old and limited languages we use.

IMO we must invent a new concept of language that can support a wider band of thinking, and maybe even after that, we can invent yet an another language based on that.

Could you say all that again but in e-prime?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid

We need telepathy. If science can deliver us anything truley useful it will be devices to make us all telepathic and able to understand eachother whatever language we speak in.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Just try being well-spoken and using a substantial vocabulary. I tried it. People laugh at you, scratch their heads or think you've lost your marbles.

I gave up trying to educate the masses. They don't give a damn about their language and you can't make them give a damn about it.

Their loss.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Language gives structure to thoughts and feelings.
Scziophrenics have images and thoughts voices sounds all entering their heads , but without structure , they have lost control of the language factor you allude to.
In meditation you silence the language...so you may find that interesting if you have not experienced the liberation of meditating(done properly).
Great thread OP. you raise a great dilemma.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Isn't this the exact reason most used languages are not considered dead languages like Greek and Latin? New words are created to describe ideas that were previously unknown or describable all the time. It takes time for the new words to be accepted and become widely used in order to be added to Websters but todays languages continue to grow.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

What came from Greek? Latin. From Latin? English and the Romance Languages.

English didn't come from Latin, nor is it a Romance language. English is a Germanic language, and as such, is related to German, Dutch, Danish, and so forth. There are a lot of Latin words used in English, but that has to do with Latin once being the lingua franca and it alone being used in science, philosophy, etc.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

All language proceeded from one source. All history began in one place.

We should have one common goal - to find the source.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The Candle

At the end of the night the candles burned long,

in the flickering light, we dimly choose wrong.

With a sallow face in the waxing night,

we regret our disgrace and kindle for right.

As we lay down to sleep, in our beds we have made,

our Id will not weep for the plans we have laid.

And the candle gutters and is about to die,

in our dreams we are sometimes brought to cry,

and relight a candle.

Don't ask me what it means, I am not an entomologist

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join