It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you are old enough to remember "the party line"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Gave me some lol's along with some warm and fuzzies hearing some of your experiences with the party line!

Thanks for sharing your stories. As backwards as some things were back then, I really miss the simplicity of things.....

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

Actually I was a kid in the 80s, I guess technically I am a 90s child. Nothing interesting about the 90s though.

but you would pay like 10 cents a minute to talk to people. The phone equivalent of a chat room.

there would be party lines, date lines, singles lines..etc. You had to sit through the ads late at night.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

My dad still has a rotary phone in the rec room. Once, my 14 y.o. niece went to go use it and couldn't, she didn't know how.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Oh the dreadful rotary phone.......I will say that I certainly don't miss waiting for those dreadful clicks to end before the call is made....

Although they still may make them with the dials, I do believe they still have the touch tone capabilities and you don't have to sit there and wait for click click click click......
edit on 29-12-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I was in an antique shop and they had a few. I was showing my son how to use it. lol

But yea, your house burned down while trying to dial 911.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I can remember and took part in the following...

Party lines, Red/Blue/Tan boxing, Flash Dialing and any other phreak that was applicable..

Funniest memory I had of stuff like that was using a Hallmark Recordable Card as a rudimentary red box and holding it up to a payphone then getting caught and trying to explain wth I was doing ..good times

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My Gosh. You have brought back memories I never dreamed I would ever think about. I had totally forgotten about the party line. LOL.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Rural North Dakota in the sixties. Four families on our line. We called the people who listened in "rubber neckers".

Had a neighbor lady named Hazel that always listened in. We used to say get off the line Hazel regularily even if we never heard her. Often you would hear the hang up click. Each family had a different ring. One long, two short, etc.

When I was a child my grand parents had the old crank phones that you had to ring up a central operator to get out. Lightning used to hit phone lines and come out the speaker of the phone.
edit on 29-12-2012 by bintim because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join