learn more

Obama Orders Pay Raise for Biden, Members of Congress, Federal Workers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
The pay raises appear to be minimal at best .. $900 per year in most cases.. as much as I want to, I can't find myself angry about this... $75 per month .. $37.50 per pay check .. before taxes mind you.. hell, perhaps this will put them in a better mood so things get done..

We have far more pressing issues than a tiny pay increase

edit on 12/28/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

What exactly have they done to deserve a pay raise?

At most companies an employee is reviewed and based on their performance, as well as other factors, a pay raise is discussed and/or given. So please tell us, what exactly has Biden done to deserve a pay raise? What has Congress done?

I was one of the best at my previous job that I held for 20 years. In that 20 years, not once, did I get pay raise. At my current job, after 1 year I can get a pay raise. However, that pay raise at most will be .25 cents per hour.

You say "perhaps this puts them in a better mood to get things done" and I say that is an unbelievably naive and foolish statement to make. What exactly do they have to feel bad about? They make a triple figure salary per year, have the best healthcare, are legally permitted to engage in insider trading practices, get more vacation time and days off that I have seen in my lifetime, and after they are finished with this current job they will continue to be paid. I would argue that they should already be in a great mood and have failed miserably.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

On the contrary, if politicians were paid differently, with higher possible salaries, you might actually get some bright minds applying for those jobs. As it stands, the entry point in politics is horribly low salaried and, even the top job, president, pays very little when you consider what they're doing. They should be paid based on accomplishments. Balance your budget, earn XXX amount. Bring down the deficit, earn XXX amount. Avoid wars, etc.

Right now, with political salaries being so low, there are only a few types of people who strive to gain those positions. Failed lawyers, con artists and the wide eyed dreamers who think they are going to actually make changes in the world. Once this last group learns that there's precious little they can actually accomplish, they either split the political scene or fall into the con artist/failed lawyer category.

Lastly, the raise is fine since, come Monday, the government can't afford to make payroll.

I love your poetic sarcasm, or at least I hope it is sarcasm.......But in case it isn't, when the last time a poor person got elected to federal office???? It appears that only the wealthy are priviledged enough to be eligable for some of these higher positions, wouldn't you say?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

If it happened a year ago probably no big deal. But with EVERYTHING they are NOT doing any extra money even PENNIES a year is too much. It's not the amount it's the principal. They are not employees they are elected officials they are lucky they get paid at all. When this country was founded it was a privledge to be part of the government now our Polititians think its their right and their CAREER!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

most politicians start out at lower levels and work their way up to higher levels, and federal posts.

As to the cost of the campaigns, yes, they are such that it's far easier for a very wealthy candidate to win a seat.

All that being true, I still firmly believe that a reward based pay schedule might actually result in some better governing. if there was a potential $250,000,000 annual salary for the president, assuming milestones were met, you'd see people with real qualifications tackling the problems these morons are trying to tackle. You'd also eradicate the lobbyist issues as they wouldn't be able to compete with massive rewards and bonuses.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

So throw more money into the money pit and miracles will happen. How about stop paying them and only put the people in that WANT TO BE THERE FOR THE POSITION AND NOT THE PAY.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

All that being true, I still firmly believe that a reward based pay schedule might actually result in some better governing. if there was a potential $250,000,000 annual salary for the president, assuming milestones were met, you'd see people with real qualifications tackling the problems these morons are trying to tackle. You'd also eradicate the lobbyist issues as they wouldn't be able to compete with massive rewards and bonuses.

I agree, a reward based system based on performance will always be more beneficial than a person getting a raised based upon how long they have held the position....

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

good luck finding them.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by miniatus

The pay raises appear to be minimal at best .. $900 per year in most cases.. as much as I want to, I can't find myself angry about this... $75 per month .. $37.50 per pay check .. before taxes mind you.. hell, perhaps this will put them in a better mood so things get done..

We have far more pressing issues than a tiny pay increase

It all adds up does it not? Do you not see they hypocracy that we are expected to sacrifice and suffer, but federal employees (whom get payed by taxpayer money) get raises? Plus when you take the number of all federal employees it adds up quick...

First, I am a Federal employee. Our pay is currently frozen (outside of promotions) so I'm not getting any pay raise. Obama asked for a 0.5% raise for Federal employees but it would be as a part of the budget talks. Obama only suggests. Congress decides if we get a raise or not.

Second: I'm a taxpayer also. I don't really care if you like or want me to get a raise. I haven not gotten on in recent years as it has been frozen since 2010. Federal workers have sacrificed plenty in the past three years so button up on that garbage. I, on the other hand, hope for the best for you out of your employment because I am not an ass with an apparent superiority complex.

We are all people and we are all working our way through life. You walk in your own shoes and get the hell out of mine. My feet are cold!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

But there will always be special interest groups that will pay MORE than anything the tax payers CAN AFFORD TO PAY THIER POLITITIANS. That's the vicious cycle no matter what uncle SAMs pays them big oil will one up them. Now remove their pay except what they make privately and monitor them WHILE IN OFFICE to make sure they are not taking bribes. If I was an elected official I would let the people know every time I peed if you don't like transparency in the government then you have something to hide.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
reply to post by scorpiosin

Not to mention they all make 4 times or more than the average American wage as it is.

Hogwash. I am a professional with a Bachelor's Degree making 51k a year as a Federal employee. I could easily make 75k right now in the private sector. I chose to serve the American people. And I get a pension, so there's that...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

What exactly have they done to deserve a pay raise?

MrWendal, I really wish you would not paint all Government Employees, Current and Retired like myself with the above statement.
I worked for a Government agency for 30+ years and retired. The best part of my employment with our Government was, One, I enjoyed working for you, The American Public in the Federal Law Enforcement Field, Two, I met my wife while working for our Government, if I had been working for another private company, I can truly guaranty you, I would not have met her.

I received my statement today from the United States Office of Personnel Management to explain the reason my pay would be changed.
I am receiving a whole 1.7% pay increase.
I promise you, I earned my pay. Every one I know retired and still in the agency, Earns their pay.

I'm not upset, I'm Angry, You have No right to Point Figures at an entire Government Working Force.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Ron Paul was begging. So was many others. America means something to some... Not many but some and some is enough.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The rich should pay their fair share so we can "avoid the fiscal cliff" and give them a raise for spending us into oblvion and running off that cliff.

They have done such a wonderful job!

Seriously the current administration and those congressman are a joke.

ETA:

Most congressman are millionaires in case some forgot.
edit on 28-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

I was talking about the ones on the list that don't need it. I feel for you man and I praise you for your integrity but sometimes we get grouped into a category that doesn't fit us personally. I can't help but feel you knew you would be personally excluded from the group by us and you needed to make a point.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Let's use Jeopardy as an analogy here:

Final Jeopardy: The Clue: Politics

Answer: A group that can vacation whenever they please with certain deadlines looming and turmoil across a nation while constantly failing at their job without ever having to worry about losing their job...oh and don't forget the yearly raises and tax breaks for accomplishing absolutely nothing but digging a hole deeper for the nation in which it represents!

Question: What is the United States Government

That is correct, lets see what you wagered.

Your Wager: Just more taxes, less freedoms, and my head further into the sand!

Thanks for playing!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

Nah, I just got caught in "a moment" if you know what I mean. Lost my cool a little bit. Trust me, we get it from all ends, including Congress. I read more of the thread and I do understand that the primary discussion is the elected officials. We just tend to get lumped in with these discussions and I popped off. Nothing personal.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

First off my apologies if you feel I was personally attacking you. My post was to show the hypocracy of our president. Just so you know, and anyone else may want to. I DID see the pay scale for GS pay scales, and for those who are under GS 8, your right, you are not raking in the bucks and living high on the hog.

The issue is a government telling people that they need to sacrifice, while doing the total opposite...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

And I also apologize for "going off". I know better.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
On the contrary, if politicians were paid differently, with higher possible salaries, you might actually get some bright minds applying for those jobs. As it stands, the entry point in politics is horribly low salaried and, even the top job, president, pays very little when you consider what they're doing. They should be paid based on accomplishments. Balance your budget, earn XXX amount. Bring down the deficit, earn XXX amount. Avoid wars, etc.

Right now, with political salaries being so low, there are only a few types of people who strive to gain those positions. Failed lawyers, con artists and the wide eyed dreamers who think they are going to actually make changes in the world. Once this last group learns that there's precious little they can actually accomplish, they either split the political scene or fall into the con artist/failed lawyer category.

Lastly, the raise is fine since, come Monday, the government can't afford to make payroll.

is their any politician that lives off of their base pay? seriously they all partake in inside trading, offering them quite the benefit package i might add. normally i would agree with your assessment, but our elected officials bathe in money\power and it doesn't come from that paycheck either.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
We can see who will bear the burden of the debt and it won't be any Federal employees. It looks like the average pay increase (G7) will be around $1,000/annually.
There'll be no "sharing the burden" for D.C.
You have to figure out your own method of stealing if you want more.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join