It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RQ-4 Global Hawk flew over my house

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I live in CT and a RQ-4 Global Hawk just flew over my house a few minutes ago. Does Sikorsky have anything to do with this or is this most likely a surveillance on the American people? If I had to guess it was flying at under 1,000 feet which is odd I would think.

What are they up to?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
duck and cover! RUN!!! they coming for you broster.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

It's the MQ-4 Triton BAMS test bed flying out of Pax River in Maryland. The Navy is testing it for future use as an antiship/antipiracy surveillance and communications aircraft.

www.as.northropgrumman.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Probably a GPS test/drill.
Rut-Ro.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

It's the MQ-4 Triton BAMS test bed flying out of Pax River in Maryland. The Navy is testing it for future use as an antiship/antipiracy surveillance and communications aircraft.

www.as.northropgrumman.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

You're right it looked exactly like the Triton.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Same basic airframe, slightly different mission. The BAMS will carry an electro-optical camera that can survey several thousand square miles at a time, and see a small ship within that area. It's a fairly revolutionary new system.
edit on 12/28/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

link   

edit on 28-12-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Hollywood has gone hard core on stopping illegal movie downloads.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Hollywood has gone hard core on stopping illegal movie downloads.

LOL im taking that your joking. I just got out of the shower, covered in fluoride. Im a bit slow at the moment.
Piracy as in boats...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yes, piracy as in what we've seen in the Gulf of Aden.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

BAMS is going to have an AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) radar, as well as a mechanical rotation that gives it a 360 degree field of view, as well as "Due Regard Radar" which will allow it to see other aircraft between six and nine miles away. It will have a field of view 20 degrees nose up and down, and 110 degrees side to side. It's also going to have a two way radio for the pilots to talk to ATC, deicing boots, and a beefier wing. When operating within 12 miles of US airspace, they have to have a special operating agreement with the FAA that is most likely going to require a chase plane (that's what the Air Force does when they depart California with their RQ-4s).

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Yes, piracy as in what we've seen in the Gulf of Aden.

Now there is a use for Drones that makes all the sense in the world. How else to patrol millions of square miles of water with something other than a Satellite with it's limited options? I'm all for THIS direction of drones being developed. After all, Piracy is a scourge from the Panama Canal approaches to the Malacca Straits and of course the Gulf of Aden where a whole failed state seems to have adopted Piracy as their new means for national income.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is what BAMS and UCLASS are designed for. UCLASS will be able to carry out a strike mission as well as a surveillance mission, so once they find a target, they can attack it and won't have to rely on other assets for the strike portion of the mission.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The only thing that looked different from the picture of the Tritons I see is the end of each wing tip appeared a slightly different shape. Rather than a flat wing at the tips this looked like it had a small vertical stabilizers or something attached to the ends pointing up and the wing tips or stabilizers looked blue.

'-----()-----' something like that
edit on 28-12-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

They're winglets. A lot of planes use them now. They allow for less drag, which means less fuel consumption, which means more mission time. Ok, now this is odd. I hadn't heard anything about them putting winglets on, but i just was looking and can't find a single picture of the wingtips of the MQ-4.

Winglets add weight to the wingtip, so the wing has to be stressed differently, but the MQ-4 was supposed to have a stronger wing anyway. The performance benefits more than outweigh the added weight, and changes to the wing tip design.

Some common winglets:

Sharkfin:

Blended:

Original:

737MAX (future winglet):

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

These winglets looked completely vertical. There was also an all white plane flying minutes later at higher altitude after looking at some pictures it seems like it COULD have been a P8 Poseidon?
edit on 28-12-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

The Navy and Air Force both fly 737s as both transports, and VIP transports. I believe the P-8 is in Florida doing testing and training right now. There is currently only one operational one.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Dude, get rid of your "tomato" plants, pronto!

Seriously though, I've heard that they're flying them up here with FLIR, looking for grow-op heat sigs-warrant, schwarrant. Have any strange neighbors?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by xquietonex

I don't know about that.. I'm more inclined to agree it was a military exercise / test of some kind.
edit on 29-12-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Could very well be, just throwing my 0.02 for what it's worth.

See them pretty steady flying over the US/Can border airspace, patrolling, I guess, actually saw one on the apron at Calgary once-a global hawk, I think.

Only getting more and more common to see these days, unfortunately

new topics

top topics

join