It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The scapegoating of Nancy Lanza' by Lionel Shriver, author of 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

As you say, it's an interpretation of her article, just as yours and anyone else's is. I actually considered editing my first post after posting it to add that I have little time for Shriver anyway, which I'm sure is obvious
and perhaps in hindsight I should have done - lesson learned I guess. I don't think I've skewed any facts, just offered my interpretation and criticism of the article.

I do believe that her article is as sloppy and sensationalised as the reporting she's criticising - 'demonise', for example, is imho too emotive a word to have a place in a reasoned discussion, and the diversion into the two paragraphs about Asperger's is sloppy to say the least, as the weight she gives the discussion in such a short article in my opinion serves the opposite purpose to that you suggest she intended (and I agree with you about her intention). But that's my opinion of her as a writer, and I know very many people don't share it.

To be clear: I absolutely do not think Nancy Lanza deserved to die and I believe that everyone deserves to be mourned, even Adam Lanza, and absolutely Nancy. I maybe shouldn't have asked my question about the law around gun keeping in the same post as I see how it might have given that impression, I just didn't want to double post tbh. Again, lesson learned.

Thanks for your comments and the discussion

edit on 30-12-2012 by Brocade because: clarification (hopefully!)

<< 1  2   >>

join