It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul stands up to defend our rights: the 4th Amendment Protection Act.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Much like his father, Rand is trying to defend our rights under the Constitution.

Sad when you have to introduce a law trying to safeguard a right which is supposed to be guaranteed under our system of government.

Instead of government defending our rights, as they have sworn to do, as is their main job, they consistently violate them.

Specifically, he thinks that the 4th Amendment should apply to modern means of communication: e-mails, text messages, credit card statements, your computer etc.

When this Bill comes up for vote, call your Representatives, we need to make our voices heard. Calling our Reps en masse is the first step. It worked with the banker bailout (on the first vote anyway), it can work again.

They had to use the threat of martial law to get the Banker bailout passed.

The Wall Street bailout and the threat of dictatorship.

“This is dangerous,” writes Thomas Friedman, the senior foreign policy columnist for the New York Times, in a column published Wednesday. “We have House members, many of whom I suspect can’t balance their own checkbooks, rejecting a complex rescue package because some voters, whom I fear also don’t understand, swamped them with phone calls. I appreciate the popular anger against Wall Street, but you can’t deal with this crisis this way.”

In short, the opposition of the majority of the American people cannot be allowed to stand in the way of a “complex rescue package” designed by “experts” like Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, Goldman Sachs’s former CEO, for the purpose of bailing out his colleagues on Wall Street and rescuing the fat portfolios of individuals like Friedman.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This should tell you what a joke this country is becoming. We already have the constitution and 4th amendment in place to protect our rights. Now we have to make laws to protect the laws that that are already there? How about just abiding by the damn founding documents?

What's next? 1st Amendment Protection Act? 2nd Amendment Protection Act? This is all so insane.
edit on 28-12-2012 by Merlin Lawndart because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Merlin Lawndart

It sure shows how hard current leadership on all sides works to find ways around what is clearly printed for all to see and read in the Document itself. In a nation where people led in Good Faith, this sort of law would be laughably absurd. It is scary when it's actually a good idea and necessary to define what shouldn't need definition.

edit on 28-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The modern day leaders except a select few on both sides of the aisle are tyrants and have brought us to the point of no return. They always pull this theatrical nonsense with the debt ceiling and fiscal cliff when they had all year to fix it. Yet they campaign, and campaign, instead of actually being a representative or President. People like McCain and Lieberman should be tried for treason for writing unconstitutional bills like the N.D.A.A. bill. McCain really surprises me with him being a p.o.w., and having the nerve to write bills that say you can be detained indefinitely without a trial, even being a U.S. citizen. It throws out all kinds of amendments.

I'm not sure why we have gotten to this point, well I kind of do (project for a new American century), but the ship needs turned around and fast. I know the libs like spending money on the Utopia, and the Conservatives love spending money on war, but in the end Liberty loses another round and we get more surveillance, more laws that don't help a thing, more regulations, and more reforms. The Government is entirely to big and doesn't have a tax problem, it has a major spending problem. It's time to start cutting some alphabet agencies, and take 1% from every government program that gets tax dollars.

It's about time we start looking at ways to save money on printing and making pennies that cost 2 cents to make too. There are tons of things that could save money, but the people that are sent to Washington don't seem to want to work on things to better the country, they just want more control and to rule with an Iron fist while lots of people act like cheerleaders routing for the winning team. I wish more people could see the reality for what it is, and that is the U.S.A. is broke.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merlin Lawndart
This should tell you what a joke this country is becoming. We already have the constitution and 4th amendment in place to protect our rights. Now we have to make laws to protect the laws that that are already there? How about just abiding by the damn founding documents?

What's next? 1st Amendment Protection Act? 2nd Amendment Protection Act? This is all so insane.
edit on 28-12-2012 by Merlin Lawndart because: (no reason given)

The problem is that after 200+ years, the Constitution has been twisted and turned into something that would be unrecognizable to the Founding Fathers. Between the litigation and laws created over that time, original intent has been lost. Can you imagine if they tried to make persons in the early 1800s buy health insurance or else pay a fine? They probably would have started the Civil War right then. I find the Constitution easy to understand. Take the 4th amendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

That is as cut and dry as it can get and is easily translated to today's mediums of electronic messaging. There is no ambivalence. It says, "shall not be violated". It also says you cannot make some blanket warrant to cover all your bases if you want to apprehend people or their things. Now you throw in unconstitutional laws like the Patriot Act and where does that leave you? In the quagmire that we live in today, that's where.

new topics

top topics

join