It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing video from Paris 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This video is from the Paris Airshow 2011. It's a flight demonstration of a C-130J Hercules, both outside, and from the cockpit, with audio. There are several maneuvers in there that you would never expect a C-130 to be able to perform. It's only 6 minutes, but it's a pretty amazing watch.

www.flightstory.net...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
looking good, looking good haha

really cool watching that, ty for sharing

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Now that was a view that not many people get to see from the cockpit... Unless of course you actually fly one..

Thanks for the video...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

i worked on these when i was in the RAF.i thought i knew what they were capable of but this is incredible.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I always knew the C-130 was a workhorse, but some of those climb and turn angles were amazing. When he turned it to 56 degrees I was amazed. And some of those climbs were awesome.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
That was amazing. Too bad they can't improve that roll rate, but when would you need that in a transport anyway. If I were buying, I'd have all kinds of confidence in that ship after that demonstration.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

It's kind of like the Boeing 707 at the boat races that day. It hadn't really sold well at that point, but during one of the passes along the boat races (with the Boeing CEO, and the heads of a couple of airlines in attendance), the test pilot in command decided to do a barrel roll in it. He barrel rolled the plane, and a sale was made (although I think he came damn close to getting fired if he didn't).

edit on 12/28/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Pretty cool , I think the C-130 can finally take it's rightful place next to the C-47 as the greatest aircraft of all time .

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thudpuddy

It should be there just based on the popularity and reliability of the C-130 family, Some of the modifications were.....different, but they have been the C-47 of the modern age, and done everything they have been asked to do.

We used to laugh because a cargo company near where I used to live flew C-47s, and every day, rain or shine no matter what. Then we'd see brand new 747-400s or 777s come in, and sit there for a week broken.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I never flew a C-130 but have been around them and have rode in many starting with the old A models. Some of the roll rate (or lack there of) you are witnessing is due to slow speed, requiring large aileron inputs due to decrease airflow over the control surfaces. The old B-47 was horrible at slow speeds requiring almost stop to stop control inputs to get anything out of her. But at normal cruise speed she would out run most of the fighters of her day; beautiful aircraft for it's time.

Test Pilot for Boeing by the name of Boil or Boile did a high speed pass in a 707 during a football game in Calif.( 1960s ?) As he pulled up he did a victory roll and nearly got fired too...or so his son told me..The story used to be there never was a Beoing aircraft that had not been rolled.

I have rolled the 727 and 737 (only in the simulator) and the 737 can be done quite easily (in a mini simulated airshow;especially the 300, 500, and 700 series) however the 72 will eat your lunch if you do not know what you are doing; wants to act like a lawn dart unless speed and power are proper..The 737 take-off roll, break ground gear up, flaps up, and with proper speed and angle of attack is a no brainer, rudder is very effective...

BTY thanks for posting

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by thudpuddy
Pretty cool , I think the C-130 can finally take it's rightful place next to the C-47 as the greatest aircraft of all time .

Love the C-47. I've been a military aviation nut since a very young age, and always thought that was the coolest plane.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Big transport a/c have a shedload of excess power when operated empty and can do stuff you'd never imagine - I've been pax in test flights of DHC-8-100's where they climb at 40 degrees & have witnessed a P-3 climb at about that after a beat up.

Power-weight ratio is king

From the nature of the commentary I think the 50, 55, 60 the pilot mentions is degrees of climb, and perhaps the 2.5, 2.6 and 2.8 mentioned are g's being pulled??

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I've been in the back of a C-130 on many a flights and after seeing this video I swear this guy may have been piloting some of those flights. Yeah I do not like flying on them at all. Given the choice I'd pick a C-17 or a Galaxy-2. C-130's are loud and cold and slow to sit in the back.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It's degrees nose up when they're climbing, and degrees rolled when they're banking for the 50, 55, etc. The 2.8 etc is G forces.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wow.
I've never saw that kind of flying done by a C-130.
The pilot seemed matter of fact about it, but he had to be having fun.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yeah, a number of cargo pilots love air shows, because they get to play fighter pilot.

top topics

join