Amazing HD Video, Lunar Occultation of Jupiter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Jupiter being occulted by the Moon on 25th December 2012, as seen from São Bernardo do Campo, Brazil. This video shows the event 5x faster than real time.

Captured on camera by astrophotographer Rafael Defavari ..

See more photos of the Dec. 25 event from viewers in Brazil ..

blog.cienctec.com.br...
edit on 28-12-2012 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Wow that was super cool

The scale blew my mind that gas giant is massive.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MariaLida

Jupiter being occulted by the Moon on 25th December 2012, as seen from São Bernardo do Campo, Brazil. This video shows the event 5x faster than real time.

Captured on camera by astrophotographer Rafael Defavari ..

See more photos of the Dec. 25 event from viewers in Brazil ..

blog.cienctec.com.br...
edit on 28-12-2012 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

As Jupiter re-emerges from behind the Moon (at about the :53 mark of the video), you can see Europa to the upper left of Jupiter, re-emerging before you see Jupiter.

edit on 12/28/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm confused OP. The title of the thread says "HD" but the video is in 4:3 aspect and nothing at the YouTube page mentions HD.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
I'm confused OP. The title of the thread says "HD" but the video is in 4:3 aspect and nothing at the YouTube page mentions HD.

The video has maximum of 720p resolution, which counts as HD. Aspect ratio has nothing to do with this (otherwise it would also say "widescreen") .www.youtube.com...

What I find remarkable (apart from the awesomeness of it all) is that the telescope tracked the Moon instead of the celestial sphere. To be pedantic, it's the Moon that's moving across the nearly-stationary Jupiter.

I'm pointing out the tracking of the Moon because I'd like to see a timelapse of sunrise or sunset on the Moon, with the terminator line crawling across craters and mountains. Anyone know of such a video, or maybe even can make one?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
Post On Topic – Please Review This Link.
edit on 29-12-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Beautiful OP, you have uplifted my tired soul.
One of the best space footage threads I have seen

edit on 28-12-2012 by OrionsWitness because: spelin

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Kool video... does anybody know what those subtle flashes are on the moon's surface ? If I had to guess I would say lightning but im pretty sure their isnt any there.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Well spotted, you really can see it. Amazing.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
As Jupiter re-emerges from behind the Moon (at about the :53 mark of the video), you can see Europa to the upper left of Jupiter, re-emerging before you see Jupiter.

Beat me to it! That's the first thing I saw when it re-emerged, and I thought "how come Jupiter looks so much smaller then it did in the first part?" Pretty cool seeing 3 heavenly bodies all in the same shot like that.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

The sky closer to earth should have been looked at I wish I had a better camera than I do so I could have gotten a decent pic. An Object west of the moon was once again jumping like a Mexican Jellybean. This was seen during the last full moon to. I have been following the object in the sky for the last 4 weeks hoping the moon would get near it again to where its movements are more noticeable & get more people to see it. I am still following the Object in the sky. I heard that during the last full moon our Gov't said it was a UFO. What I'd like to know is how long this object has been in our skies. It is still jumping, it is not as noticeable unless the moon or a tall building is in the fore front of the vision to notice it. Is it one of ours or is it really a UFO?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

That is clearly one of the best Jupiter footage I've seen in a long time !!! S&F !

It's amazing that while we search throughout the galaxy, the best treasures are in our own backyard !

Awesome. Thanks for sharing !!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I would just like to add that on the evening of the 25th, during a beer run, I looked up and saw Jupiter next to the Moon. That alone was majestic, little did I know that I would eventually see such a cool video of this event.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Can't wait to live on the moon for the awesome view.

nice vid

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
That was magnificent!!

Thank You for posting this! You've made my day!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Amazing. It's great to know that something that should be so simple and trivial is still so powerful and awe inspiring.

The very idea of capturing video of the moon and Jupiter in such a way never occurred to me, and I was surprised and amazed at the same time.

I for one would love to see more like this.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I actually saw that happening but didn't stay outside long enough to watch it, I'm always looking up at night and saw a 'star' very close to the moon that night, I immediately thought "cool, there's a planet in conjunction with the moon" and went inside. I wish I had known what was actually taking place, i would have stayed and watched.

Thanks for posting the vid..

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

That is just amazing. Please please someone that can read that blog try to find out what kind of equipment was used in order to capture this. I'd love to know what it takes to get this kind of imagery and video.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join