It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium to prosecute Church of Scientology

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
$cientology is and always will be a cult, no matter which way you look at it.

If it looks like a duck...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Because of pressure from family friends that were "in the biz" and high up members of scientology, I was kind of forced to give it a try.

I have an entire true story about what happened there over around 3 months. Not sure if I should post it here, or make a new thread. Mod help? OP?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I love how we've got the mason jumping on the thread to tar his clan with the same brush without anyone having to lift a finger

I really can't stand any group/religion/cult/person that manipulates others for their own gain (or for any reason for that matter), I believe it is a pure form of evil. There is always going to be people who are weaker willed or more open to suggestion than others, to take advantage of that is on the same par as rape.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Oh I have to disagree! The people that believe in the Urantia book are even more out there!

They are way, WAY out there!

Your world, Urantia, is one of many similar inhabited planets which comprise the local universe of Nebadon. This universe, together with similar creations, makes up the superuniverse of Orvonton, from whose capital, Uversa, our commission hails. Orvonton is one of the seven evolutionary superuniverses of time and space which circle the never-beginning, never-ending creation of divine perfection — the central universe of Havona. At the heart of this eternal and central universe is the stationary Isle of Paradise, the geographic center of infinity and the dwelling place of the eternal God.

Urantia Book Online

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I had no idea when i was 13 what dianetics was about, I had not read the book, bought it for my mom thinking it was science fiction. Big mistake, but I was a kid. But here's my problem, why do people call you a scientologist if you doubt the claims made by psychiatry, when in fact the claims made seem fairly outlandish as well? And to go another step forward, who believes in magic pills and talking can solve life's problems, and the prospect of being born to die? I doubt anyone would honestly say that brain science maybe even anywhere near as accomplished as say heart surgery, if anything it resembles cardiology maybe back in the 1750's.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bubbabuddha
I had no idea when i was 13 what dianetics was about, I had not read the book, bought it for my mom thinking it was science fiction. Big mistake, but I was a kid. But here's my problem, why do people call you a scientologist if you doubt the claims made by psychiatry, when in fact the claims made seem fairly outlandish as well? And to go another step forward, who believes in magic pills and talking can solve life's problems, and the prospect of being born to die? I doubt anyone would honestly say that brain science maybe even anywhere near as accomplished as say heart surgery, if anything it resembles cardiology maybe back in the 1750's.

Maybe because these pills are designed for receptors in the brain that fix deficiencies and it's medically proven. Perfect, no. Better than nothing, most of the time.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody has posted a link to this yet, but if you want the low down on COS try reading the Penthouse Interview With L. Ron Hubbard Jr.

My father started out as a broke science-fiction writer. He was always broke in the late 1940s. He told me and a lot of other people that the way to make a million was to start a religion. Then he wrote the book Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health while he was in Bayhead, New Jersey. When we later visited Bayhead, in about 1953, we were walking around and reminiscing --he told me that he had written the book in one month.

About as close to the horses mouth you're gonna get regarding COS...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
And these people revere him. When you first go in to the celebrity center ( known as cc, the hub in la) the first stop on the tour is his office. Which is roped off like it's apart of a set in a museum. Along the tour are pictures of him on the wall which conveniently gives the tour guide an opportunity to bring Hubbard and a story about him up. Then, if you aren't freaked out yet, you get to sit in a theater that sits maybe 15 people, and watch a propaganda film at its finest.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Although the article has the potential to drop certain elements of detail in the translation, the charges appear to be related to extortion, fraud, practicing medicine which violates the local law and so on. Those would seem to be pretty clear. Obviously, what with the translation, and the paucity of detail regardless of that, there does not seem to be any specific accusation made in the article.

However, there must be a specific incident, or number thereof, in question here, otherwise no legal action, certainly none of this magnitude could actually be bought. You see, these are criminal charges, and to bring those against an entire organisation is hard enough in the European Union, even when you do not consider the status of scientology as a psuedo religious group. When you do consider the status of the group, it becomes clear that it is very unlikely that the accusations being leveled are not solid in thier nature. To accuse and attempt to prosecute an entire demi religious organisation of such things, without solid evidence, would see massive ripples and legal ramifications.

You may sneer, and say that the seat of EU power can insulate itself from such things, but that is a near sighted view in the extreme. Even if the ramifications to the accusing nation were to be, shall we say softened by Brussels, in the current political climate, that kind of back scratching would be utterly unforgivable, and would add to the possible break up of the multi state government.

This must therefore be genuine, or at least, the prosecutors office must see a case in this somewhere, else there would be no action being taken.

I believe that this might be a very educational moment in European legal history, and in the politics of the region.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Post it here or make a new thread, whichever suits you. I'm always interested to learn.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

With one phrase i can debunk scientology.

L. Ron Hubbard.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WhereIsTheBatman

Focuses mostly on the world than acknowledging that someone by the name of God created ot, it's another form of atheism, in my opinion, but on the more extreme part.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Here's the report in english.

Seems they are not quite the 'untouchables' some would like to think, they were convicted for fraud in France in 2009 and lost their appeal this year.

Maybe the Europeans aren't so susceptible to bullsheet.
edit on 28-12-2012 by Iam'___' because: read report and added/typo

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Maybe because these pills are designed for receptors in the brain that fix deficiencies

I am afraid that is untrue. Pills, especially the SSRI's of today, actually short-circuit the receptors after prolonged use, which is the real reason they have to up dosage, not tolerance. They cause more damage than they treat or prevent.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

Maybe because these pills are designed for receptors in the brain that fix deficiencies

I am afraid that is untrue. Pills, especially the SSRI's of today, actually short-circuit the receptors after prolonged use, which is the real reason they have to up dosage, not tolerance. They cause more damage than they treat or prevent.

When it comes to pain killers, yes that's true. But for anti psychotics, seizure medicine, bi polar and the like I haven't read published reports that find that to be true.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
And make no mistake, they aren't just anti psychiatry medication. The more hard core scientologists (those who have spent thousands to move up levels) forbid the use of simple aspirin or Tylenol.
edit on 28-12-2012 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhereIsTheBatman

Post it here or make a new thread, whichever suits you. I'm always interested to learn.

Ok I will. And I have proof of my claims as well. Proof I took courses there at least lol. Assuming the mods are ok with me linking the story to and from this page. That's the mods call I think, and yours as well OP.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

When it comes to pain killers, yes that's true. But for anti psychotics, seizure medicine, bi polar and the like I haven't read published reports that find that to be true.

Although this isn't the place, I would still have to disagree. I dated someone who took Prozac for 10 years, and their depression, etc, always got noticeably worse when they were on it. Not to mention that it destroys your thyroid from the fluoride. Fluoride is on the same halogen group as Iodide, and because of that, mimics it to a degree. Fluoride displaces the Iodide due to atomic weight, and the thyroid doesn't know any better until it realizes that it can't use the fluoride.

It's a nasty little situation. I have been meaning to make a thread about this whole fluoride situation. If I ever manage the time to do so, I will send you a U2U, since I needn't carpet bomb this thread with links.
edit on 28-12-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Well I think were on topic because this is one of the cruxes of scientology. And of course there are always exceptions. Everyone has a brother or a girlfriend and those stories are I'm sure very accurate. Prozac is one I'd agree with. But overall there are more studies that say they work. And scientology with its absolute stance against it is depriving people of medicine that will help

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Maybe so, I wouldn't want to argue or comment further on it though until I knew the specific mechanisms and manner of what they are doing. Serious health issues, etc. I do believe in finding natural alternatives to 'pharmaceuticals' which actually originates from a 'pharmacist' which was one who dealt in poisons. However, in the short-term, I believe they can hold a benefit, as long as dependency doesn't develop. This could be something they want to remove, dependency on external influences, which causes detriment to personal responsibility. Just look at today's current political system, and tell me it isn't true. People want something or anything to take care of them, except for themselves.

Again, I couldn't really comment factually on the subject until I saw the specific scenarios. I am however, interested in your 'escapade' into Scientology.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join