It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Released Files Reveal The US Were Going To Betray Britain Over The Falklands War

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

Originally posted by MaMaa
But what makes their claim any less valid? I wonder how many 'spanish' are still on the island since Spain had it before England. We can't say that the British are the final inhabitants of the island though, who knows what will come. But really to me it is more important what the inhabitants want, not what any country wants. I mean I suppose it wouldn't be much different than if Mexico tried to take Texas. Of course the US would fight for it because it has been a part of our country for so long and the people who live there consider themselves American. (well actually some areas are predominantly Mexican/Hispanic and they might be ok with it becoming part of Mexico again).

edit on 27-12-2012 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

There are no Spanish people at all on the islands. When the British re-occupied the islands in 1833 there was a small River Plate penal colony that had just been destroyed by the USS Lexington. It's complicated in other words, but the upshot is that the Islanders are British and had no desire in 1982 to be ruled by a group of bloodthirsty fascists.

This bit is more important to me. The Islanders wanted to be British, there for their voices should mean the most. Although I can't imagine anyone desires to be ruled by anyone, seems an outdated concept.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Semantics. If you're an inhabitant of an Island owned by the British, you get British military protection, welfare, NHS, public funds, currency, language, culture, diplomatic relations and so on, and the opposite is true if you're owned by the Argentinians.

An alternative explanation is that some people in the UK and her protectorates, especially people in rural areas are fiercely patriotic. It's strange but people from outlying islands or ex-commonwealth nations seem to love the queen more than people on the mainland.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
reply to post by MaMaa

The Argentine claim on the island is based solely on proximity. Seriously, the Argentinians have absolutely no claim on the land other than "it's near us."

www.guardian.co.uk...

As for the political implications of America hedging its bets between Argentina and the United Kingdom of Northern Ireland and Great Britain: lol politicians.

Yes, but this "proximity" reason is enough for argentina to reclaim those islands for them.

But its people prefer being British than Argentinians, well, that's their choice.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Im an east coaster jersey born, I am a walking bad attitude. I find the English quite friendly, mouthy but friendly. Then again Im a big mean looking S.O.B so not many people have many things to to me.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

reply to post by MaMaa

Semantics. If you're an inhabitant of an Island owned by the British, you get British military protection, welfare, NHS, public funds, currency, language, culture, diplomatic relations and so on, and the opposite is true if you're owned by the Argentinians.

An alternative explanation is that some people in the UK and her protectorates, especially people in rural areas are fiercely patriotic. It's strange but people from outlying islands or ex-commonwealth nations seem to love the queen more than people on the mainland.

Maybe just semantics, but still a foreign idea to me to be 'owned' by anyone. I look at my government in the opposite way, that it is the people who owns them, not the other way around. The government, the military, the welfare, ect.. is all there because the people made it so.

But regardless of that, if the people of that Island wished to remain British and not Argentinian then more power to them.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by MaMaa

Im an east coaster jersey born, I am a walking bad attitude. I find the English quite friendly, mouthy but friendly. Then again Im a big mean looking S.O.B so not many people have many things to to me.

LOL I'm from Colorado, born and raised by a Texan family. We are taught to be polite, friendly, and personable for the most part. My mom used to say there are no such things as strangers, only unmet friends. But then again she can make new best friends just by going to the grocery store and chatting someone up.. weird even to me, but Texans are a different lot of folks.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

When I was a bit younger I was a rowdy overgrown pile of meat. My dad was always working to provide for us so I didnt see him much and I was around my mom and her side of the family, who was 100% criminal. I had many bad influences, I was interested in making quick easy money and that lead me in a bad direction gangs, drugs, stealing/reselling pricey things all that crap. Eventually I became my hard working father, I even traded my bike for a station wagon Now i just look like a big meany

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Let me be the first to say. The UK never lost the hearts of their American brothers. Our government is sh*t but we the people love ya till the end.

Speak for yourself!
The few British friends I have were far from loveable! As a matter of a fact it took me a good year to get past the tough, in your face, blunt, rude as hell attitude. Her bad attitude made a hard core New Yorker look like Mary freakin poppins! I do like her now, but good lord she was hard to not hate at first. Aside from her I have only met one other Brit who wasn't just like that. I keep hoping though.

I'm sure you have a wrong feeling about british people. They are fantastic people and once you break the ice they are caring and long lasting friends. Obviously, by british we mean different countries' people. Very different, really very different from each other, but all very good.

I spent five years in England and made great friends from there, Scotland, Wales etc..

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordAdef

Let me be the first to say. The UK never lost the hearts of their American brothers. Our government is sh*t but we the people love ya till the end.

Speak for yourself!
The few British friends I have were far from loveable! As a matter of a fact it took me a good year to get past the tough, in your face, blunt, rude as hell attitude. Her bad attitude made a hard core New Yorker look like Mary freakin poppins! I do like her now, but good lord she was hard to not hate at first. Aside from her I have only met one other Brit who wasn't just like that. I keep hoping though.

I'm sure you have a wrong feeling about british people. They are fantastic people and once you break the ice they are caring and long lasting friends. Obviously, by british we mean different countries' people. Very different, really very different from each other, but all very good.

I spent five years in England and made great friends from there, Scotland, Wales etc..

Probably so as I have only met just a handful of British people. I get the whole idea of breaking the ice, but a year?? Seriously that's a little bit overkill! LOL But now that I am closer friends with her, she is a great friend. She is still very blunt and lacks manners sometimes, but I just accept that it is just who she is. She does do a good job of alienating herself from most the people around here. (Colorado, US) On the other hand I have one British friend who isn't quite so harsh and very polite and friendly. That may be because we met years ago back when my daughter died so the way we met was entirely different circumstances than normal.

But you are right it has probably created a wrong and negative impression of the British in my mind. To be fair I'm sure my harsher British friends probably saw my friendly, outgoing, talkative nature as annoying or fake.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

reply to post by MaMaa

When I was a bit younger I was a rowdy overgrown pile of meat. My dad was always working to provide for us so I didnt see him much and I was around my mom and her side of the family, who was 100% criminal. I had many bad influences, I was interested in making quick easy money and that lead me in a bad direction gangs, drugs, stealing/reselling pricey things all that crap. Eventually I became my hard working father, I even traded my bike for a station wagon Now i just look like a big meany

Well I'm glad you came around and only look mean!
My little brother got himself into drugs, theft, alcohol, crime, ect.. when he was younger too. He isn't that person anymore, but he still has that big tough mean look to him.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Militarywarfare

reply to post by MaMaa

The Argentine claim on the island is based solely on proximity. Seriously, the Argentinians have absolutely no claim on the land other than "it's near us."

www.guardian.co.uk...

As for the political implications of America hedging its bets between Argentina and the United Kingdom of Northern Ireland and Great Britain: lol politicians.

Yes, but this "proximity" reason is enough for argentina to reclaim those islands for them.

No it isn't. By your reasoning it's ok for anyone to claim anything just because it's close.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join