It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Flags, Stars and ATS points so important to some members?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It's always nice to know when you post something that you have appealed to members but why is so many people starting threads simply to be flagged?
I mean, if there was a large CASH prize from ATS that would be an incentive.. LOL but sometimes I read where someone will say "You are just trying to increase your flags, star, etc."
Could someone explain why people doesn't post just for informing people and not the 'attention' they seem to need?
Just curious.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
for the free doughnuts

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wulff
Could someone explain why people doesn't post just for informing people and not the 'attention' they seem to need?
Just curious.

Since you put it that way? Simple.... Some folks seem to think that stars or flags get them respect or the right to demand it. At least that's how it seems at times....without touching on anything more specific. No need... It's a crock though. There are people with far more than I have, but I sure have enough to know there is nothing to the numbers but an indication of how much time you've spent posting and being a part of the community.

....Or it makes an interesting epitaph in the profile of a banned member. I've noticed in my time here that the people churning empty threads for quantity usually don't last long enough to get all those Stars and Flags and discover how little it all actually means.

(Staff applause and U2U's people actually take a moment out of their time to write are what I keep mental track of because they mean something, IMO)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wulffCould someone explain why people doesn't post just for informing people and not the 'attention' they seem to need?

I think you've just answered your own question. Unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

My opinion is i really don't care if someone is trying to get attention just for flags & stars i only care as it is worth reading about, I'm the type of person who likes to keep an eye out on new threads in hope to find something fun or exciting i haven't come across.. As long as the threads are not a trolling thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I think flags are important only during the time. You want others to see it.

Stars are sometimes a great way to tell how crazy some folks on ATS are!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I don't know anyone except a few newbies who wonder what it is all about who has asked for stars and flags. They are BEQUEATHED upon you by others, so you do not get them just because you want them, only because other people think you should have them. In other words, the poster him or herself is not in control of how many stars and flags they get. Further, it is considered de classe to admit that they mean anything at all. Even to those folks who have earned a great deal of both, the "proper" thing to utter is, "They don't mean anything" because, after all, we are not only equal in terms of opportunity, we are equal in terms of achievement. If someone earns more stars and flags than you have, they must be part of the one percent and cheated. It's an unfair advantage because, after all, you put your pants on the same wya they do, by God! Those with lots of stars and flags, well, THEY MUST BE PART OF THE CONSPIRACY!

If you want an explanation, please (cough) visit this excellent thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Each month the person with the most stars and flags is noted down, and at the end of the year, the person with the most total is introduced into the illuminati hall of fame.

It's only an honorary role, they don't actually have to sacrifice a baby and eat it's heart. But it's a stepping stone. 3 years in a row and they get to meet grand wizard rockerfeller. Bit like meeting the pope for christians, but with a lot less confetti.

So there you go.

Or did I just tell a load of lies???

Who can tell... who can tell indeed...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Crikey,

you keepers of the crypt and door men of deception sure know how to throw around the spoken word of england.

What he means to say is "Stop sniffing where your nose is not wanted. We call you, you don't call us."

Lol

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

It's a psychological thing.

People like rewards, and the F & S system acts as a basic reward mechanism. It makes people feel good, so they continue to post for the flags and stars.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
If you want an explanation, please (cough) visit this excellent thread.

STOP TRYING TO STEAL FLAGS AND STARS!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I like it....but I also wish there was a flag option for negative or abusive posts that don't belong on the boards. Like on yahoo. I love it when I get applause from a moderator to me that's the highest form of approval on here. I think humans in general search for acceptance and praise when they feel they have earned it.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

I dunno.....I got the most stars one month and all I got was this lousy tee shirt....it's faded now...shoulda turned it inside out when I washed it....cheap assed after market tee with silk screened logo on it.....

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Because I wasn't hugged enough as a child?

Easy anonymouse ego stroking?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure
reply to post by wulff

My opinion is i really don't care if someone is trying to get attention just for flags & stars i only care as it is worth reading about, I'm the type of person who likes to keep an eye out on new threads in hope to find something fun or exciting i haven't come across.. As long as the threads are not a trolling thread.

I agree completely!

Oh, by the way... starred and flagged!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

It feels good to be acknowledged.

Personally...if I get stars etc. fine; and if I don't get them that is fine too.

To me the important thing is...is to be able to express myself; I am glad if people agree; but if they disagree I enjoy that too; and I like reading about why they don't agree with me etc. I figure...I just may learn something!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I don't know? Just gimme, gimme, gimme some more please.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I think stars are a way for people to show they like a post without having to comment - as many of us have experienced being criticized for sharing our beliefs on the boards. I see why some folks choose to use stars instead.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
LOL! Those were ALL great responses! Don't think I can get enough flags to be taken into the Illuminati so I will try for the donuts!
I understand a little more and it makes sense.. after hanging around ATS a bit I go back to an automotive site where I am a moderator and I will post something and go back later and think nobody read it (because there were no stars!! Even tho we don't have them, I guess I get conditioned to look for them!)
I guess I did answer my own question about those that crave attention no matter where it comes from!
I also agree that I come on here to see if I can find something new and exciting that everyone is talking about.
I know also what you guys mean about trolls it seems like there are a few members that nearly every time their replies are just to try to make the OP look bad, stupid, etc. I have often wondered if those people get the stars from the other troll buddies? LOL
Again thanks everyone, it seems like everyone that responded to my OP is the "good guys"

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

I don't know about everybody else, but I trade mine to the Reptilian Overlords for top secret alien technology. You should see my stereo!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join