It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retired Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf of the Gulf War dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Retired Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf of the Gulf War dies

www.usatoday.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — Retired Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, who topped an illustrious military career by commanding the U.S.-led international coalition that drove Saddam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait in 1991 but kept a low public profile in controversies over the second Gulf War against Iraq, died Thursday. He was 78.

A sister of Schwarzkopf, Ruth Barenbaum of Middlebury, Vt., said that he died in Tampa, Fla., from complications from pneumonia. "We're still in a state of shock," she said by phone...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
World War III

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm on shock, i still thank him for kicking Saddam Hussein's ass during the Gulf War. He executed the war flawless and and greatly. It's too bad he could have march into Baghdad in 1991 and hang Saddam Hussein there. It would save us a lot of trouble in the middle east.

He served in his last military assignment in Tampa as commander-in-chief of U.S. Central Command, the headquarters responsible for U.S. military and security concerns in nearly 20 countries from the eastern Mediterranean and Africa to Pakistan.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Will this be a thread which fights the Iraq wars over again? If so, let me remember that Norman S. was the fellow who let Saddam keep his helicopters after the first gulf war, helicopters which were then used to kill both the Kurds and the people trying to escape in the marshes in the South of Iraq (if I'm not mistaken those marshes are pretty much gone now, destroyed, like so much else, by the hounds of war).

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
RIP Sir...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Will this be a thread which fights the Iraq wars over again? If so, let me remember that Norman S. was the fellow who let Saddam keep his helicopters after the first gulf war, helicopters which were then used to kill both the Kurds and the people trying to escape in the marshes in the South of Iraq (if I'm not mistaken those marshes are pretty much gone now, destroyed, like so much else, by the hounds of war).

Well, Norman thought that Saddam was going to use the helicopters to humanitarian aids since Iraq was bombed by Coalition aircraft many times throughout Desert Storm. When they realize that the copters was used to attack the anti-Saddam forces, the ban was to include helicopters as well.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Norman didn't let Saddam keep anything. Norman followed orders. Plain and simple.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The US didn't go into Baghdad or put too restrictive terms on Iraq after Desert Storm because the Coalition allies wouldn't allow it. The US would have had to go it all alone, with no bases in the region if they had wanted to go into Baghdad.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

The US didn't go into Baghdad or put too restrictive terms on Iraq after Desert Storm because the Coalition allies wouldn't allow it. The US would have had to go it all alone, with no bases in the region if they had wanted to go into Baghdad.

That's true. Dick Cheney did say that going into Iraq in 1991 would be a lot of problems.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Existing threads

Here

here

and here

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Stormin Norman, a salute to you Sir!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Someone dies and theres a conspiracy. Good ol' ATS.

RIP General. :salute:

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
That's true. Dick Cheney did say that going into Iraq in 1991 would be a lot of problems.

Ah yes, the pre-Sith Cheney. Before he became Darth Cheney and all his brains dribbled out of his ears.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add to the ongoing discussion.

Thank You

-thread closed-

new topics

top topics

join