It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers predict that a second Earth will be found in 2013

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Astronomers predict that a second Earth will be found in 2013

www.news.com.au...

THE first confirmed Earth-like planet will be found next year, astronomers predict.

More than 800 planets have been discovered orbiting stars since the first was found in 1995.

Few have been identified as sitting inside the "Goldilocks Zone", an orbital sweet spot - not too cold, not too hot - which allows water to exist in its liquid state and support life as we know it.

Only nine planets have been flagged as having the potential to sustain life.

But none have yet been oficially declared "Earth-like" - either because of their excessive size, high speed or simply a lack of avai
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-12-2012 by Rising Against because: Fixed title and the link.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
So this is the year? Have they already found it an are awaiting for 'clearance' to reveal it to the world?

It would fit in with the master plan. Some would say on ATS that we have been communicating with ET's from distant worlds for years.

How will it change our life when they finally reveal that there is an Earth like planet? Will it marry up with our theory of the universe and our human beliefs?

Is this news article just a diversion? Is there something coming our way that we are not aware of? Astronomers sworn to secrecy about to get the green light?

[url=http://www.news.com.au/technology/astronomers-predict-that-a-second-earth-will-be-found-in-2013/story-e6frfro0-1226544529565]www.news.com.au[/url ]

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
These people are so hung up on water and temperature. Have they never heard of extremophiles? And what says an alien life form would have cells as we know them, or even DNA? Water is not unnecessary for life.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Avgudar

I think maybe they are interested because we need a place to go to when we have completely destroyed this planet.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

We better find a spot soon to call home. Not sure how much more Earth can take...

Plus we could use a bigger planet given the fact everyone is having babies (some prolly shouldn't
) these days, and younger and younger.

Time to get a move on to the next rock so we can ---- that one up too.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Astronomers predict that a second Earth will be found in 2013 Read more: www.news.com.au...

< br /> [url=http://www.news.com.au/technology/astronomers-predict-that-a-second-earth-will-be-found-in-2013/story-e6frfro0-1226544529565]www.news.com.au[/url ]

THE first confirmed Earth-like planet will be found next year, astronomers predict.

More than 800 planets have been discovered orbiting stars since the first was found in 1995.

Few have been identified as sitting inside the "Goldilocks Zone", an orbital sweet spot - not too cold, not too hot - which allows water to exist in its liquid state and support life as we know it.

Only nine planets have been flagged as having the potential to sustain life.

But none have yet been oficially declared "Earth-like" - either because of their excessive size, high speed or simply a lack of avai

You know something, I think we have moved into the 5th dimension, I think I'd rather be back where I was. We have plenty of resident aliens here at ATS, who funny enough are fond of predicting, now we have astronomers who are astrologists, at least going by what little of the story I find, 'cos the fecking links are up the left

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
First order of business will be establishing a system of taxation on New Earth...then we get to go....

Des

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

edit on 27-12-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The thing is, neither Kepler or HARPS are capable of detecting an atmosphere on these planets much less the density or composition of that atmosphere. In other words, it is not possible at this point to determine whether any exoplanet is truly "Earthlike".

As stated in the article:

"The first planet with a measured size, orbit and incident stellar flux that is suitable for life is likely to be announced in 2013," Kepler team member Geoff Marcy said.
www.news.com.au...

Same size as Earth, sure. An orbit which would provide the right amount of heat from its star, sure. But that doesn't mean it's Earthlike. Mars or Venus could be considered "Earthlike" by those standards.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It would be ironic. We could possibly end up being the ETs we've spent all these years waiting for.

Des

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

They have found a few of them. However how many are actually in the "habitable" or "Goldilocks zone".. I am not sure. Here's a wiki link to some (all?) they have found, they are "Super-Earths"

Super-Earths

ETA: Look at this, anything can be out there...Very amazing.

Sorry pic is large

-SAP-

edit on 27-12-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Same size as Earth, sure. An orbit which would provide the right amount of heat from its star, sure. But that doesn't mean it's Earthlike. Mars or Venus could be considered "Earthlike" by those standards

What would make it Earthlike in the true sense?

Would it need to harbor earthlike creatures to fit the criterea?

Or would it just need to be a planet that could support life that is similar to what is on Earth.?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

What would make it Earthlike in the true sense?

An atmosphere (of any particular composition) of proper density to allow the existence of liquid water would be important. So would the existence of water. However, water seems to be found just about everywhere we look for it so the former would probably cover both bases.

edit on 12/27/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Been saying it's just a matter of time before Intelligent life is found (officially anyway), same for goes for an identical "earth".

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Yes. It is a matter of time. That's sort of stating the obvious though, isn't it? Since technology to do so is advancing.
As far as finding Earth's twin? That's probably a matter of a lot of time.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Yes. It is a matter of time. That's sort of stating the obvious though, isn't it? Since technology to do so is advancing.
As far as finding Earth's twin? That's probably a matter of a lot of time.

Sorry mate, I'll specify my "time", within the next 20 years to play it safe

That goes for both and not being ignorant toward the prediction of 2013, I just think they shouldn't predict this stuff at all.
edit on 27-12-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Been saying it's just a matter of time before Intelligent life is found (officially anyway), same for goes for an identical "earth".

I just hope this new identical earth, has a higher percentage of intelligent life, than this earth has....

Des

edit on 27-12-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

I just hope this new identical earth, has a higher percentage of intelligent life, than this earth has....

Des

edit on 27-12-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Wouldn't be difficult now, would it?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I just hope this new identical earth, has a higher percentage of intelligent life, than this earth has...

What if it is less?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Maybe. Webb might be able to do some rudimentary atmospheric studies of "superearths". New tools.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join