Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Hover 'Bike' Flies on Pilot's Intuition

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

A resurrected hover vehicle won't fly through dense forests as effortlessly as the "Star Wars" speeder bikes from "Return of the Jedi," but its intuitive controls could someday allow anyone to fly it without pilot training.

The aerial vehicle resembles a science fiction flying bike with two ducted rotors instead of wheels, but originates from a design abandoned in the 1960s because of stability and rollover problems. Aerofex, a California-based firm, fixed the stability issue by creating a mechanical system — controlled by two control bars at knee-level — that allows the vehicle to respond to a human pilot's leaning movements and natural sense of balance.

www.nbcnews.com...

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
That is just cool, as a motorcycle rider, I can see that being just a heck of a lot of fun....Good Find OP.

Edit-...Roads? Where we're going, we don't need no stinkin roads....
edit on 27-12-2012 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Holy crap I want one. I hope all these new innovations go mainstream before I'm gone because I don't want to miss out on any of it!

S&F, thanks OP

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Awesome stuff.
That may have inspired me to spend the whole weekend in the shed!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

That is what I am thinking...It is does sound like it is very expensive to build

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I wonder... how much fuel does a craft like this use?

Looking at this prototype, this is really the first step towards flying cars. Cost efficiency is the question.

It would be awesome to get a test ride in the desert. Looks like a wave runner on air.
edit on 27-12-2012 by BSFC123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It is being suggested this craft could reach an altitude of 10,000 ft.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I reckon you could save a bit by using a scrap 250 engine from a scrappy, maybe weld up a big fan blade instead of buying one.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Looks a bit like the 'solo-trek' flying machine.

Was due to be manufactured for the military..not sure if it ever was though.

It'll never take off (sorry) for the mass market...could you imagine the amount of dust and debris flying around from the force of the fans?

People walking along the street would be sandblasted by it all.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Already been done months ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
Looks a bit like the 'solo-trek' flying machine.

Was due to be manufactured for the military..not sure if it ever was though.

It'll never take off (sorry) for the mass market...could you imagine the amount of dust and debris flying around from the force of the fans?

People walking along the street would be sandblasted by it all.

You can see in the vid where the test is preformed on sand and where two men were holding it down, they did not seem to be having any problems.

SprocketUK.....

I reckon you could save a bit by using a scrap 250 engine from a scrappy, maybe weld up a big fan blade instead of buying one.

How about an Allison Model 250

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Haha. Yeah, might cost a bit though.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Seriously dangerous and unstable, and thats on flat ground! That thing could quite easily flip over and land on top of you injuring you seriously....that's actually why the avro car was dumped as a project

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Nice but when I read the title I expected more

Because the height is so low
The speed is slow
And it's have a large size for a bike

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
As described the vehicle can reach an altitude of about 10,000 feet and as far as how fast it can go, that depends upon the engine (just like in a car). As far as stability, clearly the vehicle could be dangerous if not handled the right way, otherwise it should be safe.

SprocketUK....

Haha. Yeah, might cost a bit though.

For sure but it looks like this thing is equivalent to a helicopter in many respects

join