It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIVIL WAR: Senate To Go For Handguns

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

I would also add to this that banning a substance is the quickest way to drive its inappropriate use.

All these millenia have passed, and humans have yet to learn that they will never be capable of controlling one another.

That could be argued by you and you can get a lot of data to back it up, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still done.

It's not the best choice, but it's the choice that is sometimes made. The best choice would be to find a way to prevent stupidity, but it's more difficult to do. Banning the guns is easier than banning the stupidity, so that's what they are going for.

I don't agree with it 100%, but given the alternative, something has to be done. If you can come up with a way to prevent the idiots from doing what they do, please, share it. I'm sure many people would prefer taking care of the root of the problem instead of the side effects of it.

If you can find a solution to the idiots, I'll stand right beside you and oppose whatever gun ban they dream up, but until we can prevent the idiots and the stupidity, that's all we have.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

When are we going to declare the War on Ignorance? Now there's a cause I would enlist for...

AMEN! I'll be right there beside you on that one!

Doing away with that would make every other ban of any sort unneccesary. We could do away with 99% of the prohibitions that exist in the world.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

The state that I live in regards driving as a privilege. We have to purchase a driver's license to use the privilege.

My state regards freedom of speech as a right. They don't make us buy a license for that. If they did try, I think it would be shot down by the courts. At least I hope it would.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

The state that I live in regards driving as a privilege. We have to purchase a driver's license to use the privilege.

My state regards freedom of speech as a right. They don't make us buy a license for that. If they did try, I think it would be shot down by the courts. At least I hope it would.

Do you have a birth certificate? A social security number? Think about it.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

You haven't read a single thing on this topic have you? The SCOTUS ruled that the government did not GIVE us the right to keep and bear arms. The SCOTUS ruled that the right already existed prior to the construction of the constitution and the bill of rights. The Second Amendment was a commitment to PROTECT a pre-existing right. No document GIVES us the right. It is considered inherited and inherent.

The current government structure has to be reassembled to take it away. In other words, no law can take this pre-existing right away. Only a "redo" of the bill of rights.

And luckily, you being okay with "giving away my right" doesn't mean spit in this issue, not unless you've got the pull to completely abolish the current U.S. government and the restrictions it abides by. (By the way, attempting to do so is a treasonous act.) I'm okay with giving away your right to free speech, how do you feel about that? How about I just willy-nilly announce all the rights you have that I'm okay with taking away from you because I've personally decided you're incompetent to have them? That okay with you?

edit on 12-29-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

You haven't read a single thing on this topic have you? The SCOTUS ruled that the government did not GIVE us the right to keep and bear arms. The SCOTUS ruled that the right already existed prior to the construction of the constitution and the bill of rights. The Second Amendment was a commitment to PROTECT a pre-existing right. No document GIVES us the right. It considered inherited and inherent.

The current government structure has to be reassembled to take it away. In other words, no law can take this pre-existing right away. Only a "redo" of the bill of rights.

And luckily, you being okay with "giving away my right" doesn't mean spit in this issue, not unless you've got the pull to completely abolish the current U.S. government and the restrictions it abides by. (By the way, attempting to do so is a treasonous act.) I'm okay with giving away your right to free speech, how do you feel about that? How about I just willy-nilly announce all the right you have that I'm okay with taking away from you because I've personally decided you're incompetent to have them? That okay with you?

first you say the constitution doesn't give it to you, then you say it does, then you say it doesn't. It seems you are very unclear on the subject.

If a "redo" of the bill of rights changes it, then it wasn't a inherent right to start with since it could be changed. Anything that can be changed is not inherent. It CAN be taken from you, it's not a "god-given right", it's a constitution-given right (i.e. priveledge)

You just aren't letting it sink in.

Your decisions about anything pertaining to me are irrelevant, you have no power to take anything from me, however, the government does. In fact, they are, right now, looking at taking away my privelege to own a semi-automatic weapon. They take it from me the same as they take it from you. It's my privelege(right) the same as it's yours. It's taken from me the same as it's taken from you. The only difference is the willingness to let it go.

You can feel free to TRY to take anything you want, but you won't be effective. Just as this gun ban will not likely be effective. It's something to keep people distracted, nothing else, and it's fulfilling it's purpose well, now isn't it?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by L8RT8RZ

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

WHAT???

Opium, heroin, morphine

Uh, those are all naturally occuring products of our planet, and quite legal in many parts of the world.. And since when is morphine a banned substance? Controlled, yes, but...

What planet do you live on again???
edit on 12/29/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: i can...

You're almost there, just a little tiny bit further and you'll have it.

Controlled vs banned, think about it.

think hard, you're almost there

Yes...You are right...The other day I took a family friend to a mental health clinic...He isn't mentally ill, but he heard they were giving away free "assault wapons" there... I mean, it's common practice to do this because we don't already have 1,000's of laws on the books to try to "control" who can possess a gun, now!!!

Why won't these CRIMINALS just abide by the law??? geeez...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by L8RT8RZ

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

Do you have a birth certificate? A social security number? Think about it.
I think that is the best you can muster.

I gave you the commonly accepted uses of the terms 'right' and 'privilege'.

Whatever.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

No, you just can't keep up with the logic.

And fortunately you've conceded that my rights are not on the table for you to forfeit, no matter how "comfy" it makes you feel.

Have a good day.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

Truly a shame that you have to leave.

You mentioned that the only right a person has is to die. Rights are what a person stakes out for themselves. I will stick with claiming a little more than the right to die.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join