It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blogger publishes names, addresses of newspaper staff after gun-permit database

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
You knew it was coming:

SOURCE

If you're a publisher, and you are going to be irresponsible for the sake of your politics, then you risk being held to your own standards.

edit on Thu Dec 27 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
just saw this on liveleak today. i was thinking about posting it but im glad someone threw it out there! Poetic Justice.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Good for this blogger. My hats off!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Oh that is rich...yeah I figured this would happen. Stay away from trends friends.

Always mind your business if you can. Now both parties are in the same boat when it comes to crazies knowing where you live. They should have looked elsewhere for spin.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Mixed feelings about this. One part of me says good...they really deserved it. But perhaps the wiser, saner part says that stooping to the same level and doing the same to them just seems wrong. Where would this end?

Maybe the ACLU or someone like that could take them to court for this violation and make their lives miserable. Then again, Gannett (or whoever it was ultimately responsible for publishing this information) could probably fight for decades in court and not even feel the pinch.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Fountain said he has since received emails from “abused women” who were under protective order.
“They’re terribly afraid that now their names and addresses are all over the Internet and accessible through that map,” he told CNN.

source of OP.

I had not considered this. You know what, you reap what you sow. What they did was the first step in putting people´s lives in danger, kids who lived in those homes as well.

They do deserve someone to stoop to their level. I am glad this guy did for the rest of us.

EDIT:
So are cops families now on that list too?

Are retired PO required to have a permit or do they ride their former status as a LEO? If not their addresses are on there as well.

There is a whole myriad of considerations that were over looked by this paper. I know people in that area come to think of it. I have to check it and give them a heads up if their names are on there.

I know for a fact a LEO friend of mine might have his family on that list, and by his last name they can most definitely find him or his family who have permits. They stand out like sore thumbs and actually would be looked for. He works in a REALLY bad part of town and that sort of thing has happened before.

Jesus what retards for doing this.

EDIT TO ADD:
I know people on that map. It is actually ALLOT bigger than I thought. I didnt really pay attention to all this. Wow. That is basically where I grew up. I found 3 people´s addresses who own guns that I know personally. Now I know they own a gun. This is SO dangerous and irresponsible. I am really pissed about it. I dont even want to look anymore. If my dad shows up I am going to lose it. He REALLY cant have that information out there.

ADD:
I dont know what is worse, having your name on there, or being the one dot they decided to put all by yourself since it covers ALL New York really. If you are a lone dot on the map like the two in brooklyn, you will definitely have someone click on your name and see your address. I would move. I kid you not.

Just wow.

oh, they have a customer service number......the five year old in me is going to love that......nice.
edit on 27-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Divide and conquer. Boy are the sheeple a bunch of suckers! It's so easy to win a war when you have the opposition working FOR you. WAKE THE F UP, people!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Poetic justice if must say so myself!!!!! That put a smile on my face. Thanks OP!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
what an utter FOOL that would write an article and let all the criminals in america know what houses that have guns so they can avoid them and rob the unarmed people.

kudos to this blogger.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Do people really take the time to think through the consequences of their actions before they do them? Because if this person did, he wouldn't have posted these addresses. I mean, what did he practically expect he was going to achieve? I doubt this method of public display of private information would decrease violence or criminal activity involving guns. It would undoubtedly make neighbors who did not possess guns unsafe, because the unlisted houses would be seen as targets. Those who were listed might possibly be targets themselves, actually. And what about the family members of the owners of these guns? Now, aren't they in risk? This move was incredibly irresponsible.

-Ghoster
edit on 27-12-2012 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2012 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well I certainly don't condone this whole line of thinking or what either side did here. The online world and society in general have to recognize a few lines of plain common decency. Although, the reporter drew first blood on this one, without question. So with THAT detail to frame the picture here? I'd just ask them how it feels to get a dose of their own?? Still feel all mighty on that 1st amendment?

Freedom comes with responsibility. Far too many abuse the former and laugh at the latter. Even freedom of the press comes with implied responsibility, IMO. A growing number just choose to ignore it.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I thought it was wrong when the media published the addresses of the firearm owners and I think it is wrong the other way around.

They should have held the high ground and not sunk into the muck. All this does is cause more trouble. It seems everyone is morally bankrupt on both sides. It is very typical of the world we live in today. You attack me so I will attack you and it will go on for ever.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Getting back at these expletive deleted feels good, but stooping to their level just seems childish.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

To these people, the ends justifies the means. By any means necessary.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Disagree. At some point you have to realize that you are playing an a tilted field. Fire with fire, baby.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

So they just stick to higher ground and then it seems these idiot publishers get away with that. Next thing you know, they are doing it again. Now they see there are sometimes consequences to irresponsible behavior.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

So they just stick to higher ground and then it seems these idiot publishers get away with that. Next thing you know, they are doing it again. Now they see there are sometimes consequences to irresponsible behavior.

But you could still seek retribution without stooping to their level. Why not enact a class action lawsuit against the paper? Or how about organizing a boycott of the paper they print? There are many ways to go about getting back at these yahoos without endangering their lives and their family's lives.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t

But you could still seek retribution without stooping to their level. Why not enact a class action lawsuit against the paper? Or how about organizing a boycott of the paper they print? There are many ways to go about getting back at these yahoos without endangering their lives and their family's lives.

There not in anymore danger than the gun owners who they published. What? All these gun owners are a bunch of nut bags that are going to go hunt them down now? Not likely.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t

Yeah, I agree there could have been a better way to respond to this, but this tit-for-tat action is not only childish, but fails to explain to the public-at-large why postings such information is inherently bad for the community and the victims. This particular method of "striking back" only does everyone involved the disservice of cheapening what could have been a more serious and adult conversation about the dangers of disclosing personal information online. But now, its just a ridiculous headline for the public to gawk at. How unfortunate.

-Ghoster

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Disagree. At some point you have to realize that you are playing an a tilted field. Fire with fire, baby.

Did you ever stop to think this is exactly what they wanted to happen. Things in this world are not as they seem up is down left is right.

This eye for a eye attitude is destructive. Like I said before I kinda expected this from the world we live in today. It is about destroying the other side and at the end of the day no one wins.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join