It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: South Korea ends hunt for raiders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
South Korea's military lifted its highest state of alert Tuesday and called off a hunt for possible North Korean infiltrators feared to have sneaked across the tense border, defense officials said

IHT.com

A South Korean patrol early Tuesday found two holes in wire fences on the southern boundary's buffer zone dividing the two Koreas, the Joint Chiefs of Staff office said. The zone is four kilometers, or two and a half miles, wide.

But a joint investigation team of military, intelligence and the police later concluded that the holes were believed to have been cut by a person from South Korea defecting to North Korea.

"Investigators believe the holes may have been cut by a defector to North Korea. So, we terminate anti-infiltration operations," said Hwang Jung-Sun, a Brigadier Genera, in a televised new conference.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Al-Qaeda connection might be involved. No confirmation from N. Korea, S. Korea, or Al-Qaeda on this matter, just speculation.

S. Korea Urged to Withdraw Troops from Iraq

South Korea is seized with uneasiness and horror after international terrorist organization Al Qaeda declared that it would mount an indiscriminate attack on south Korea for having dispatched combat troops to Iraq. Blaming the U.S., a terrorist kingpin, for the threat of terrorist attack posed to south Korea, a signed commentary of Rodong Sinmun Monday observes that had the U.S. not launched the war of aggression against Iraq, a sovereign state, and pressurized the south Korean authorities to dispatch troops to Iraq, south Korea would not have been listed as a target of terrorist attack and exposed to the present threat.

Bignewsnetwork

The possible infiltration came as U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell arrived in Seoul to discuss the North Korea problem.

Related Links:
ABC Alabama
Reuters

This could be an explanation
North Korean asylum-seekers enter South Korean school in Beijing

[edit on 26-10-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Thats alarming news, especially with N. Korea being part of the "axis of evil." I got a call from an army recruiter today and it may be just a coinsciedence but I think our military is looking for more people for a possilbe situation over there.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by jrod]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
North Korea digs tunnels. They crash thier mini-subs on South Korean beaches. Been happening for years. There are thousands of North Korean agents in Seoul as we speak. Welcome to the Land of the Morning Calm!

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
They found two 16- by-12-inch holes in the wire fence.
Big friggin deal.

Seems like they are just trying to alarm their populace over there.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
could just be some damn immigrants...lol, oh wait this is Korea not America
in that case, the "axis of evil" must be up to something

on a more serious note, I hope that nothing military comes of it as we are already faced with a difficult situation in Iraq and possibly Iran, so we don't need another country thrown into the mix.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This has no real significance in my opinion, by all means go to alert but I think the North Koreans are just getting nervous because they know the GW is going to win and another 4 years of tough stance will not change.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You know the media has to make the "axis of evil" sound like they're up to something if the want to persuade the people that we need to use more force over there. It is interesting that N. Korea and Iran are back in the news when I get a call from the recruiting office. The last time I remember them calling me was abut 2 months before we started on Iraq.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
What could Al Qaeda possibly have to do with any of this? Is the October surprise full-scale war on the Korean peninsula? Does the North Korean "great leader" want to make his move during the confusion of the US presidential election? Is this just a bunch of media hype that is actually absolutely nothing?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
This has no real significance in my opinion, by all means go to alert but I think the North Koreans are just getting nervous because they know the GW is going to win and another 4 years of tough stance will not change.

At this point I am not convinced that N Korea is involved in this. Al-Qaeda has threatened to attack them, which they have done to numerous countries. This could be just coincidence, or they could be trying to draw the US into something else. One of Al-Qaedas goals, IMHO, is to draw countries against each other, which has since worked. Drawing the US into another War, or the like, before an election would not surprise me, no matter who is in office. This comes on alot of research on the subject and is my opinion. Unfortunaletly Bush would have to react and do something if something should break out, which I dont think it will in the next 7 days. Any President would have to, but it would hurt them because our Military is stretched thin, and might not go over to well with Americans, even though I think it would have to be done.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I think this is likely to be immigrants rather than terrorists, it is highly probable. Two small holes in the middle of nowhere does not suggest to me any threat from military or so called "terrorists".

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
jrod the moment you turn 18 the recruiters will start calling you until you tell them to leave you alone.

I dont think there is any connection.

Marine recruiter called me and told him I would meet with him in six months when he came by our school... 6 months later, I forgot about it, but he didnt and he called me back. I told him the mililtary wasnt for me. Never heard from him since.

When I first saw hole in the fence I thought "Whats the big deal? Oh.. It must be a concrete fence. That's some concern.... OH wait.. Its a wire fence!"

Anyone can cut through a wire fence. What is it barbedwire? Bailing wire?
Now if it were stone or concrete then thats some concern.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This isn't really all that dramatic.

A hole cut in a fence? Huge North Korean tunnels have been discovered running under the border before. A tunnel cut for an escaping agent or even as someone else suggested people fleeing the country hardly warrants this level of dramatic reporting here on ATS.

Unless there's a hell of a lot more to this than we know, there's nothing really to this story.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I just heard they�ve found it was a hole for going north and not south.
I�m not kidding!
There�s the BIG news for you.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
You're right Helmutt, they've now called off the high alert.

International Herals Tribune
The rectangular holes, each large enough for a person to get through, sparked fears that armed guerrillas from North Korean might have sneaked into South Korea.
But a joint investigation team of military, intelligence and the police later concluded that the holes were believed to have been cut by a person from South Korea defecting to North Korea.

They find out it was from the South side from the direction of the footprints and the direction of the cut.

It was all a big deal over nothing.
The South Korean government was probably just trying to scare it's population.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Why are they making a big stink about possible infiltration into the country!!!Its a small hole...lol.... We have that problem here in the United States...But our hole stretches for miles... For example: Arizona border..their are millions of terriost getting in and we dont have enough money or man power to defend our border. You tell me whats wrong with this picture???I was watching a show of a few patriots helping the border patrol out in capturing illegal aliens and various immigrants from other countries. The show was on CMT...called Hidden Secrets of a Little town...I think ....But anyways when I saw what was going on ..I was disturbed by how things are being handled...Check it out... My hat goes off to those patriots helping patrol our border!!!...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
TheLastProphet, I think its a Big deal because at any moments notice over One Million North and South Korean Troops are ready for battle, we do not have that problem with Mexico. Also Colin Powell is in the area and the US along with allies is conducting its 12th Military Exercise close to North Korea. It could be a shaky situation in that region of the world right now.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Oddly enough, I myself also got a call from a military recruiter last wednesday, aswell as a couple of my friends too. I have a friend who is a marine, and he just recently visited us here in Atlanta, and said they have been having more trainning than usual. Could it be possible that we might be looking at a World War III???

new topics

top topics

join