Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Bullets Are Safety Net as 64 Mentally Ill Die at Hands of Police

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

...64 mentally-ill people who died after being shot with a gun or electroshock device by U.S. law enforcement this year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That’s about three times the number police indicated in a 2009 U.S. Department of Justice survey, the last year for which statistics are available.

What does this next quote say about our current society?

President Barack Obama vowed to make treatment for mental illness as easy to obtain as a gun

The failures of the U.S. health care system in treating the seriously mentally ill have swelled the workload of police in all 50 states and put the emotionally disturbed at the mercy of officers who may have little or no training in defusing situations fueled by psychosis.

This seems to be a reoccurring theme in todays police activity. It seems that money cuts have diminished training in a lot of situations, not just dealing with the mentally ill. It seems that to pull a weapon and fire is becoming the first plan of action in many cases.

I have quite a few family and friends that are connected in some way to LEO, even a few on this site and I see both sides of the situation to a point. It seems to have begun when law enforcement became monetized and the old idea of "Protect and Serve" was discarded that the current problems began to rise. Lack of money means less officers and/or less training. The respect for law enforcement has drastically decreased in the last decade and LEOs are loosing control. This loss of control can be attributed to, in my opinion, the laws currently in place. It is not the LEOs fault in most cases(yes there are bad apples) but their job is to enforce the law and in many cases their hands are tied as well.

The Laws are set up to make the business owners and stockholders money and not to protect the people. There are LEOs that still have the mentality of helping people but their hands are being tied tighter and tighter with each new law being passed out of fear.

Our education system is broken, regardless of how hard the teachers try to educate it is no longer about intelligence or teaching social skills like respect and responsibility.

The mental health care system is broken, it is no longer about helping people, it is about making sure the money keeps flowing. If that slows or stops so does the treatment.

Our pharmaceutical/medical system is broken, it is no longer about helping to cure disease, it is about sales regardless of the side effects and their impact on the lives of the people they sell to. Its not about eradicating disease, its about reoccurring sales.

Our media is broken, its not about education or being informative, its about agendas and mindless banter and idolizing the drug dealers/gangsters/murderers and the idiots.

All of these and some I did not cover contribute to the issues. People are in fear because the LEOs can't do their jobs effectively which leads to less and less rights and choices which leads to more and more assumed authority by LEOs that are people too. They want to go home to their families just as much as the mail person, the nurse, the teacher etc. The difference is they can defend themselves both due to having a fire arm but also the authority to do something about the situation they are in. The people do not have this option except in some cases like in their own home.

Our Government can jump on the bandwagon of revenge but for the people it is illegal, The Government/LEOs can get involved in a situation but the people are not or they face possible financial lawsuits for doing so. The people have lost the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, for the most part, because we are not allowed, by the laws in place, to protect ourselves, and because the LEOs are not around to protect and serve there is ultimately no protection nor is there recourse for the people to look too for even when the offended party is incarcerated there is no help there either. The jail system is broken as well. It is not about rehabilitation anymore, its about separation and financial gain by the prison system and State/Federal Governments. People are going into this system for petty crimes and coming out as educated criminals with hatred in their hearts.

Our dept system is broken, once a person could not be jailed for a debt but because of the "Failure to comply to a court order" loophole people are put into the prison system for said debt instead of programs(widespread and universal) set in place to help educate and train people in a trade so the debt gets paid.

The Government cant stop its spending due to this spiral and we are facing the "Fiscal cliff" but what recourse do the people have? It's the peoples money the Government is spending and it's the people that has to pay the debt yet those that are spending are not put with the other non debt payers. The misappropriation of funds has caused so much hardship on the people in so many ways and the respect that was once given to people of authority is diminishing by every moment that passes. People are becoming desperate and taking actions into their own hands. Unfortunately without proper education and a completely broken system they are going about it the wrong way.

There is no quick fix in any of this but as usual the Government is waiting until the last minute to do something and it is just like the Pharmaceutical companies in that it fixes the short term with no regards to the long term to ensure the people still have the need to be governed and controlled.

The old saying of "give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he can feed himself for a lifetime" has been lost in our country. It is no longer about moving forward and fixing problems nor is it about bettering the lives of the people through education. I feel that if we spent more money and time on helping people "learn to fish" there would be less handing out "fish". If the advancements were more for the betterment of Mankind and society rather than the greed of lining the pockets we could work our way out of this situation we all have caused through action and non action alike.

I could go on and on and this report has turned into more of a rant of the situation than the report this is based on and for that I apologize but I truly feel if We, The People, stand up and make our elected officials address the cause rather than the short term fix we May have a chance at fixing the situation but without doing so will only push us further into the pit of despair. It is all about education, education, education. If LEOs are trained properly maybe less shootings would occur. If more people had adequate education and the focus was on the betterment of Mankind, maybe, just maybe, there wouldn't be as many "Bad Parts of Town" and our safety would not be our top priority. This was the main priority of the caveman prior to the domestication of the dog yet here we are full circle. Todays society is living in fear both from a safety standpoint but also the fear of being incarcerated and or loosing our freedoms because the laws have taken our rights to support ourselves as we see fit, including growing food and how and where we live.

Sorry, I will stop there as most of you already know this information and it's the people outside this site I should be saying it to.
edit on 27-12-2012 by Agarta because: wording/spelling

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Well said. I am at a loss how we make those outside of ATS hear us. I have voted, signed petitions, spoken up in groups, all to no avail. It is like when your trying to run in a dream and you just can't get past slow motion. I am shouting to those who are no longer there.

It seems the answer when the questions are asked, is always the same, there is no money. Where did it go? How about we check pockets?

edit on 27-12-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
What does this next quote say about our current society? "3403 abortions performed per DAY in the US in 2008."

Whats the diffrence?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 458SOCOM

Welcome to ATS and the Family, as dysfunctional as it may be. The answer to your question would require a thread as long as the one I wrote to answer, but in a nut shell, at least from my stand point, that there is a long way to go before life becomes the value over money, education and how we deal with societies taboos on sexual ism(not referring to pedophilia and such but the general "sex is dirty" while it is shoved in the faces), being responsible and taking responsibility for our actions, having respect for life(for ourselves as well as for others), and that we are, as a society, basically children with an attitude(the teenage years). Our society has the ability to be loving,caring, respectful, responsible, and to do great things once all the bickering is settled and basic beliefs in morals is finally accepted. There is not a need for violence irregardless of what the general population thinks. It is not human nature to be warlike or to have a tendency toward aggression(this I showed in my last debate) and only education, respect and responsibility can bring us out of the attitudes we currently grasp onto.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Well said. I am at a loss how we make those outside of ATS hear us. I have voted, signed petitions, spoken up in groups, all to no avail. It is like when your trying to run in a dream and you just can't get past slow motion. I am shouting to those who are no longer there.

It seems the answer when the questions are asked, is always the same, there is no money. Where did it go? How about we check pockets?

edit on 27-12-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

Go to guns stores, sporting shops, grocery stores, where ever and hand out cards with a site with a # load of gun facts. Go out in public now, Internet speach always falls on the deaf ears of those who oppose.

Edit, and massacres too obviously. Just about anything, examples of other countries. Etc etc etc
edit on 31-12-2012 by Preacher76 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join