It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole Watch 2013-16

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by shrevegal

Thanks for contributing. I also think that fracking has something to do with some of the sinkholes, but I also believe that my Dangerous Gas theory may have something to do with others as well. And, they actually tie into together because one of the main causes of the methane increase in the past five years could be fracking. There is a lot of information in the Dangerous Gas thread in my signature below, but there has been a recent study that shows much more methane gas is being released from fracking than originally thought. Fracking got its kickstart in about 2005-06, and methane release which had slightly risen for the past 150 years leveled off in the late 90's, but started increasing again and much more rapidly about the same time fracking started. The other way I believe that methane gas is contributing to the sinkholes is the permafrost melt. I've talked about how I think earthquakes and volcanoes are increasing in the quote below but sinkholes fall into the same category.

I do believe that an increase in earthquakes and volcanoes is part of a chain reaction causing more gas leaks. Volcanoes are a major cause of an increase in methane gas releases. The rapid increase of methane gas is helping to heat up the atmosphere as long-wave infrared comes in from the sun, heats up objects on earth and would normally safely escape the atmosphere as short-wave infrared, is being trapped due to the build up of methane. A dangerous cycle. The heating of the atmosphere is in turn melting more Arctic permafrost (which also releases more methane) which then causes earthquakes by the theory proposed here

The argument goes like this: when the climate changed naturally in the past, and the planet emerged from an ice age, large ice sheets covering much of the planet retreated. They were so heavy that the resulting release of pressure on the earth's crust caused it to 'bounce back', triggering earthquakes, tremors, and even volcanic activity along pre-existing fault lines.

Source

Right now the ice is retreating so if this theory is correct it could be relieving pressure which would cause earthquakes, volcanoes and sinkholes.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Sinkhole Update:

Grand Rapids, MI

A boil-water advisory will remain in effect at least into Saturday for homes near a sinkhole caused by a water main break at Adams Street and Gladstone Drive SE. Crews early Thursday, Jan. 24, reconnected 85 homes to water and were repairing the intersection where a break in a 30-inch pipe the previous day siphoned dirt down an incline on Gladstone and left a large sinkhole. The photos at right show some of today’s cleanup.

Source

DeLand, FL

Officials are investigating a "good-sized" sinkhole in DeLand that has swallowed a large tree and a portion of a fence. The Volusia County Sheriff's Office said the sinkhole opened near Mill Road and State Road 17. Officials estimated the hole to be 32 feet and 30 feet deep. Local 6 News helicopter Sky 6 flew over the hole, which is located in a rural area of DeLand. A home is located about 50 yards from the sinkhole.

Source

Salisbury, NC

An 18-inch deep sink hole in the middle of the 1200 block of West Bank Street may not have, “swallowed a car,” as heard on emergency scanner traffic, but it did require a city crew to patch it. The sinkhole, which measured 2 feet by 3 feet, was in the middle of the road in front of a 1217 West Bank Street home. Just after 4:15 p.m., a Salisbury Police officer was flagged by a motorist and parked his patrol vehicle in the middle of the road. The officer alerted motorists to move over slightly to either side of the road, around the hole.

Source

Oxford, AL

A sinkhole is not expected to delay the opening of the new Publix store in Oxford. The sinkhole appeared this week on the grounds of a retail development called "Oxford Commons," located on Leon Smith Parkway at I-20. The site was once part of the old antebellum "Davis Farm" and archaeologists say it was a Native American village before that.

Source

Springfield, TN

A detention basin at Springfield’s water treatment plant has partially collapsed, dumping sludge held within the basin into the Red River. The collapse was caused by a sinkhole at the base of the detention basin. Springfield’s Water/Wastewater Director Roger Lemasters said the 150-foot square basin emptied on or around Jan. 5 when a worker noticed the water from that basin was gone. “It’s causing some big issues,” Lemasters said. “We have the two basins, but can only use one now.” Meg Lockhart, a spokesperson with Tennessee’s Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC), said in an email on Thursday, Jan. 17, that the wastewater is not raw sewage.

Source

Utah

A sink-hole was found in the Holladay area Saturday. The giant hole is 10 feet deep and about 20 feet wide. It's located at 4525 South Wasatch Boulevard. Police say they're not sure what caused it, but rushing water was heard beneath the surface. It could take days for crews to repair the hole.

Source

Charlotte, NC

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities crews have repaired a 12-inch broken water pipe under Tyvola Centre Drive that had shut off water to nearby apartments all day Monday.

Source

Smithtown, NY

A giant sinkhole that swallowed up an SUV has closed a portion of roadway in Smithtown early Tuesday morning. According to police, a 911 call was received indicating that an SUV had driven into the sinkhole. Police said the Suffolk County Water Authority is working on the problem. Mount Pleasant Road remians closed in both directions between Cambridge Road and Daisy Lane in Smithtown. Police said there were no reported injuries. The incident occurred at 3:39 a.m. on Tuesday.

Source

Worth County, GA

Worth County Public Works crews are barricading a hole that has formed under part of Jewell Crowe Road in Western Worth County. Only part of the road is affected, and they hope to fill it in tomorrow. For the time being however, you should avoid the area if possible.

Source

Giants sinkhole swallows car in Brazil

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Small hollywood sinkhole disrupts traffic

A small sinkhole at North 64 Avenue and Taft Street closed one lane of traffic Sunday afternoon and into the evening, police say. "It's only about two feet wide," Sgt. Pablo Vanegas said. "It was discovered by our fire department." City crews were called out to repair the problem immediately, Vanegas said. He could not say whether the problem would be fixed by morning or what might have caused the sinkhole.

Small sinkhole in Utica

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sinkhole opens up in quarry; workers missing

cnews.canoe.ca...

L'EPIPHANIE, Que. — An unknown number of workers were missing Tuesday when a quarry caved in, sending at least two trucks tumbling down an embankment.

The ground gave way at the Maskimo quarry in l'Epiphanie, Que., about 45 minutes northeast of Montreal.

There were reports that two dump trucks and a front loader fell into the quarry.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
and one in China today, geez Louise,

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

I saw that in China....dayum

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dianashay
and one in China today, geez Louise,

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Awesome video. These sinkholes are going to start getting some attention when buildings collapse and people go missing.

The group of buildings was totally swallowed by the hole which appeared near the construction site of a new underground train station in Guangzhou, one of China's biggest cities. The first building collapsed at 1620 local time (0820 GMT). The other three buildings then fell into the ten metre hole later that evening, according to China state television CCTV. Around 300 residents from the surrounding area had to be evacuated and nearby roads were closed off. No one was injured in the incident and an investigation was launched into what caused the hole to appear.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Another sinkhole: Fullerton, CA

Both directions of Euclid Street will remain closed overnight as crews work to repair a sinkhole, authorities said. Crews about 3 p.m. were called to assess a sinkhole on Euclid between Commonwealth Avenue and Valencia Drive, the Fullerton Police Department said.ADVERTISEMENT The sinkhole is believed to have been caused by a broken 12-inch water main, police said. No accidents or injuries were reported. Authorities don't expect to reopen the roadway until Wednesday.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Another Sinkhole:

om510b51bd.jpg[/pic]]Massive sinkhole in Birmingham, AL

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Construction at Birmingham's $64 million baseball stadium is hampered with a recent discovery of a massive sinkhole at the entrance to the sports facility. City officials said the sinkhole, which was at least 100-feet deep, is repaired but forces the relocation of sewer lines at the site.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
More sinkholes

Two sinkholes in Southwest GA

ALBANY, GA -- Two sinkholes in Dougherty County near Pippin Pecan Company and Sherwood Christian Academy on Old Pretoria Road has started to grow in size. Nearby workers say that one of the sinkholes started at a mere eight inches and has dramatically grown in size. Sherwood Christian Academy Building and Groundskeeper Ken Bevel said he got a call that it was flooding, but was no big deal at the time. However, Wednesday afternoon, he started receiving calls that sinkholes were forming and expanding. Bevel said that crews are on scene attempting to fill the hole.

Bayou Corne grows 7500 sq ft.

BAYOU CORNE, LA (FOX44) — Assumption Parish officials say more land has been swallowed up by the sinkhole in Bayou Corne. The latest piece slid in on Tuesday, Feb. 12. Officials tell FOX44 News that a 75 by 100 foot section of land on the opposite side of the sinkhole from LA 70. The total land-loss is now estimated to be a much as 9 acres. The area of lost land is considered “swamp side,” and should not impact landowners. Some residents have been forced out of their homes for over six months. The sinkhole was first noticed on August 3, 2012. It is believed to have been caused by a failed brine cavern owned by Texas Brine, Co.

A second large sinkhole appears in Enid, OK

On Wednesday morning, a second sinkhole gaped open about 25 feet south of the first one. Each of the sinkholes is large enough to swallow an adult. “Every time we have something and we have additional people here, I warn them,” Byrd said. Charlie Price, spokesman for AT&T, said he was unaware of the problem until the News & Eagle phoned. “Let me do some digging around on this,” Price said. “This is the first information I’ve heard on it. Let me make some phone calls and I’ll get back to you.”

Sinkhole in PA

A water main break in Boiling Springs caused a sinkhole and prompted a boil water advisory Tuesday morning. The break occurred around 3 a.m. on the 200 block of Walnut Street in South Middleton Township, according to the Carlisle Sentinel. One home has been condemned from damage due to the break. Around 4 p.m., Walnut Street was resurfaced and reopened to traffic, according to South Middleton Township Supervisor Tom Faley. The entire village of Boiling Springs was without water when the break occurred.

Another sinkhole in China swallows farm

These Chinese sinkholes are extremely large and happening quite frequently. Also, this one above is in frozen rice fields which rice paddies are one of the biggest contributors to methane levels in the atmosphere. Coincidence? Plus, the story reports people heard a loud booms like firecrackers.

Frozen rice fields in Sichuan province were swallowed up by a massive sinkhole Tuesday, with farmland collapsing into a pit ten metres across in the province’s Weiyuan county. The cave-in occurred around 7pm on February 5, with an explosive sound heard by villagers 100 metres away, which some compared to the sound of firecrackers. No one was reported to have been killed or injured, according to China News Service, but villagers will have to deal with the gaping holes in the middle of their land, while authorities monitor the area for further geologic instability.

Triana, AL

NY City sinkhole

On Saturday we noticed a smallish sinkhole forming here on East Second Street the Bowery and Second Avenue. And it has grown. The NYPD now has the street blocked off... can definitely get a MINI Cooper in there...

Sinkhole in Dominican swallows truck

Another PA sinkhole

Denver sinkhole

Suwanne sinkhole

Pittsburgh sinkhole

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Sinkhole develops on the Garden State Parkway.... on the morning of Feb 21.

news.yahoo.com story

This is in Woodbridge, N.J. - which is across the river from NYC-Staten Island.... definitely part of the metro NYC area.

For some reason, after a day.... I'm not seeing any local NYC sites mentioning it yet.... I guess it's too scary for the local folk.... (home of the brave? sounds good in a song at the beginning of a baseball game... is that it?).

edit on 22/2/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
www.cnn.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Sinkhole in FL swallows man, Thurs 2-27reply to post by MarkJS

www.cnn.com...

Text(CNN) -- A 36-year-old man disappeared Thursday night when a sinkhole opened up under his bedroom in Florida, swallowing him as his brother tried to rescue him, authorities said. Right after the ground started to give way in his home in Brandon, his brother frantically tried to keep him from sinking into the hole, an emergency official said.

Hopefully I'm posting this correctly, I just saw this story on CNN a few minutes ago...

edit on 1-3-2013 by MnorthVA because: Trying to add link to story

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MnorthVA

Great catch, thanks for posting this. The first casualty of a sinkhole and I'm sure it won't be the last with the amount of these holes developing and the size. This hole is beleived to be 100 ft in diameter and 50 ft deep and still growing, but not visible from outside the house. That's scary stuff. Authorities believe the house will eventually fall into the hole and other homes may as well.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
edit on 1-3-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: already posted.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

yep, this one is a bit too close to home ... another link to the FL loss
news.yahoo.com...

odd that the surface measures 30ft wide but the sub-structure is 100ft wide.
think ... shaped like an hourglass and that's what really scares me about LA and the Bayou.

here's an example ... www.warmmineral.com...

it is sad to know a life was lost but from what i read, it could have been much worse.
sincerest condolences to the family.
that must have been quite a shock for all involved.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I've been following you and Phage through out this thread.
And as far as I know, there is no evidence to substantiate
Earths core mantle and crust reacting to Solar Flares etc.
However... that really sounds counter intuitive.

Wildly Speculating;
maybe the Earth's core which is understood to be
Nickle and Iron but also containing oceans of platinum
and gold, like a pave the Earth amount, is perhaps in a Quantum Entaglement
with the Sun. Our core is about the temperature of the Sun. The
molten mix of metals is under so much pressure, there is believed
to be HUGE crystals aligning themselves North and South at our center.
Diamond like crystals? The pressures are there.

Remember the Diamond Quantum Entanglement experiment?
www.scientificamerican.com...
We have a curious star like molten center,that probably once belonged to our Sun.
Maybe when the Sun heats up our core heats up.
Of course this is all poppy cock, but it certainly isn't impossible.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Here's some good information and some pics about sinkholes. I'm sure they created this article following the Florida sinkhole that swallowed a man in his bed. You have to flip through the picture slideshow to read each part of the article.

10 sinkhole facts that can save your life

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
You know what bothers me about Louisiana...aside from the shifty stories and lack of detail to what someone must have documented to the last container for what's down there... It's the seismic activity recorded. What the heck is moving around down there??

I get the idea that the Salt Domes collapsed or at least one did completely with whatever was stored inside. Fine. I'm sure that event rang seismographs too..No big surprised. It's the ongoing periods of activity people are talking about that really makes me wonder. What is still moving enough to be noticeable at times? That's a little unnerving.

any idea how deep these are?
it occurs to me that Leeziana must be one of the wettest places in conus, between the subtropical rain, prox to the Gulf, and the Mississip. (and Florida of course is very wet)
could the soaked ground be sliding off the limestone floor?
if there are salt mines &tc maybe the holes are creating lateral structure faults.
I'm in Maryland and so far so good.
good topic

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join