It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mess Of Mankind And How We Clean It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hi ATS

I decided to start a thread on the seamingly non-stoppable destruction of the Earth by us humans and how we can possibly start to clean it up.

Mankind has a very strange relationship with the Earth and we do not give our Mother enough respect and if we continue on this path this planet will face problems bigger and more troublesome than she ever has.

Here is a few examples:

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

This man made monster covers approximately 680,000 square miles and is still growing, the problem with plastics is not the actual plastic as a whole, although damaging to turtles, dolphins, sea birds and many other creatures, creatures that mistake the plastic as food and eat it. As you probably already know plastic is in-edible and the animals that eat it are doomed to a horrible death of starvation as they are hungry but their stomach is full of plastics that are pretty much stuck.
As I said this is not the major problem anymore, the major problem is micro plastics that may travel though food chains

Mircro Plastics

One thing to attempt to clean this mess is this invention

A giant tower designed by South Korea that will filter plastic from the ocean and then compress it into pellets for further use here is a link about it :

South Korea Recycling Tower

GMO Crops and Potential Hazards

GMO crops are something that has been discussed alot on ATS and I unfortunately know little of the subject, What I do know is man has naturally modified crops for thousands of years without much problem but until recently we have never actually gene spliced different species together. We have opened pandora's box so to speak and now I doubt we will get everything back in again.

GMO crops

A major problem with this I see is the spreading of the crops into nature something that has got to have occured already and the fact is we just do not know what these crops will do to the surrounding environments that they find themselves in. I believe we have had enough problems with food chains with pesticides never mind genetically altered crops.

Antibiotics and Potential Damages

This problem is the one that prompted me to start this thread after reading this one:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a fast approaching problem and the more we use antibiotics it is only going to get worse, Antibiotics and the use of them is creating newer and tougher diseases that are killing more and more every year. Like many man made problems this is one of the kind that falls into the "pandora's box" type problem, how can we possibly stop this from getting worse?

Well one idea would be to stop tyring to beat nature and learn from her, here is a thread I made before on Opposoms a creature that has evolved an amazingly powerful immune system

The Opposom's Miracle Gift

If we keep setting ourselves apart from nature we will fail afterall it is nature that sustains us and created us.

So ATS this is just a few of our messy problems, do you have anymore ? or any possible solutions?
I would like to here your views on this ATS

Thanks for your time

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Thanks for posting, that's a really interesting concept you have presented.
I have great hopes for these developments.

I have a few tips for others if they want to contribute to mitigating our "pollution problems".

#1 Stop buying a bunch of crap
# 2 Try to recycle more often
# 3 Pick up stray garbage whenever you can and dispose properly
# 4 Get active in local community events and if possible, speak your concerns when it is your time to speak.
# 5 Offer assistance to friends, family neighbors, to aid in mitigating their pollution problems.
# 6 For anyone with inventive mind, look into new concepts and attempt to design waste elimination or mitigation technologies, then proliferate them and advertise it's existence.

In respect to a major pollution event still ongoing, Fukushima Nuclear Disaster, I have in my mind a concept that may actually work.

After reviewing the infamous NASA "Tether incident" it came to my attention that a particular electromagnetic field has the ability to "magnetically attract" various types of radioactive particles. This is very important.

With such knowledge and technology, we could devise a "nuclear vacuum" machine, that would utilize magnetic fields to "suck in" the dangerous radioactive particles and store them in a safe containment capsule for proper disposal.

Imagine what we could do with such ideas/technology.
We could potentially clean up our world within 100 years, but it would require a global effort and the governments and corporations will have to get out of the way (because they are the source of 95% of the pollution, and they stonewall those seeking to remedy it).

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
wow, great OP bro,

and i like the idea of the micro plastic thingy... i agree with you that something needs to done to preserve the planet before we kill it ...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
wow, great OP bro,

and i like the idea of the micro plastic thingy... i agree with you that something needs to done to preserve the planet before we kill it ...

The planet will be fine even if we pollute it to the brim.

The life on Earth however, is in dire jeopardy if we do not solve our pollution problems asap.

Especially us, we humans.
We are at great risk of our own ignorance destroying us.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
What a great thread! I love the Korean plastic recycler thing...I hope it's wave powered and creature friendly...and I've often wondered how long it would be before we developed plastic mines to harvest all our rubbish and turn it into something useful. We are such a disgusting, wasteful, messy disrespectful species and we need to change.

A radiation harvester...yup...we need to put that idea out there. Maybe we don't know HOW to create something, but every great invention starts with a vision, no matter how crazy it might sound, so if we can come up with some, perhaps someone else will know how to actually put it together. Ok...have to think of some examples now.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Starting local is the key to most problems with society though isn't it

I totally agree though we waste far too much stuff we could recycle and the producers are the biggest to blame for instance; read any pop or water bottle and it will most likey say do not re-use, fair enough we can send it to a recycling center but then that itself is more energy consuming and only applyable to certian plastics.

We face a bigger problem when faced with what is outside of our cities and in nature I'm not sure we will ever clean it all up but we can atleast try. My local beach was one of the messiest in the country but with community spirit it is now clean, even won a few awards so yeah it can work if we try.

I'm fascinated with your electromagnetic nuclear vaccume idea could you share more?

EDIT

I agree with your second post too we will never have the power to destroy the world but killing nearly everything yes, nuclear or poisoning either way it's happening. Things like these little beasts will always live though
Deinococcus radiodurans

Deinococcus radiodurans is an extremophilic bacterium, one of the most radioresistant organisms known. It can survive cold, dehydration, vacuum, and acid, and is therefore known as a polyextremophile and has been listed as the world's toughest bacterium

edit on 27-12-2012 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

It's not the only idea to tackle the problem here is another:

Plastic-Eating Underwater Drone

A new underwater drone concept could seek and destroy one of the ocean’s most insidious enemies, while earning a profit for plastics recyclers. This marine drone can siphon plastic garbage, swallowing bits of trash in a gaping maw rivaling that of a whale shark.

Also I'd be happy to here any ideas or examples you have

the more the merrier

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I just keep thinking what it's gonna be like when anything regarding the ocean is used in the past tense, because we f****** it up. To think we are the bane of our own exsistence is the epitome of life's irony and yet we can't escape it...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think this has great potential and can be so much more then just a place to recycle plastics.

I would love to invest more into this concept.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maarten

I totally agree. A platform at sea could be used for multiple things

And as for investing more into this project... the closest I can get is picking up plastic at the beach lol, but I would happily supply funds and time to such projects. You only get one shot at this life might as well make some use of it.
edit on 4-1-2013 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I was talking to a friend about four years ago regarding this. We talked about repurposing fishing fleets and trolling the ocean in sections and staging next to processing ships that would treat the plastic (shred-chop-compress) and put the billets into barges made on land of the same plastic to be towed to land and recycled.

I think it would be great but politicians and big business don't see it as lucrative enough. They would rather tax us for breathing.

top topics

join