It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Mistakes Typically Made by Preppers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
www.backdoorsurvival.com... S_Subscribe2_Campaign

While I do believe that is it worthwhile to be looking forward, it is also good to reflect on past prepping mistakes, to learn from them, and to move forward with a new sense of resolve. Today I am going to share some common prepper mistakes. Many of these – especially those at the top of the list – I have made myself. Others – through luck or planning – I have managed to avoid.

I'll be honest, I suck at the first one, so I thought to post this just to bring this stuff back to mind.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Great post.
I'd have to say #4 worries me the most.
So many factors to consider and I'd be terrified of making the wrong decision.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
jeez if the writer of that article doesn't know how to use a compass I'm not sure I'd look to them for survival information

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
A "prepper" should need two-three things for real survival.

A Knife, Old lighter (for fire), and well third item, could be something random perhaps a book on local plants.

Humans have been surviving for centuries with just a good ol' knife.

Whatever else a "prepper" stores up on is just gravy, so to speak...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
If some one lacks commonsense it don't really matter how much they prep they wouldn't make it a month . Stocking up on guns and ammo will only get one so far how many of them even own a bow and arrows for when the gun ammo runs out . Stocking up on food is pointless unless you intended to camp out at home (urban areas) . people should really be focusing on seeds to grow food . Traps are important . Fishing gear even though I hate fish can't stand it is better than starving . If people are mostly heading in one direction for evacuations I will go the other way .

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
to me, the biggest mistake is telling anyone you are a "prepper". shut the hell up, prepare discreetly, and do not go on websites and brag or give advice, let others do that. always act scared and defenseless, the less of a threat you are considered, the more time you have to try and escape a life-threatening situation. when you have no other choice, at that time you need to become an animal, and kill quickly and quietly. as soon as possible, remove yourself from that area with as much speed and stealth as permitted. your ego is your enemy, the control of your fear is the most important asset you can develop. appear stupid in front of others, never let another person think you are smart, it gives them a reason to fear you.
edit on 27-12-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I would suggest that the number one mistake most preppers make is thinking they know how they are going to actually react if the situation actually presents itself. It's one thing to say you know how you will react when nothing is actually happening, but quite another when you are faced with reality...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

7. Buying stuff while ignoring the need to develop skills.
Buying stuff is easy. Save up your money, select your merchandise and go to your local outdoor emporium or Amazon and make a purchase. On the other hand, learning new skills (or practicing old ones) takes time, patience and bit of study. Do you know how to start a fire without matches or a butane lighter? Do you know how to take advantage of natures bounty by knowing how to fish or hunt? And what about growing your own food? Could you do it? Developing skills to become self-sufficient are every bit as important as having a closet full of the best gear money can by.

I think this one is probably the most common.
You can't buy skills, they are learned the hard way - through trial and error.
edit on 27-12-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
to me, the biggest mistake is telling anyone you are a "prepper". shut the hell up, prepare discreetly, and do not go on websites and brag or give advice, let others do that. always act scared and defenseless, the less of a threat you are considered, the more time you have to try and escape a life-threatening situation. when you have no other choice, at that time you need to become an animal, and kill quickly and quietly. as soon as possible, remove yourself from that area with as much speed and stealth as permitted. your ego is your enemy, the control of your fear is the most important asset you can develop. appear stupid in front of others, never let another person think you are smart, it gives them a reason to fear you.
edit on 27-12-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

You got it completly right

To many guys are just a prepper because the "coolness"
Just keep it to yourself

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Showing off on Nat Geo should be on there, that makes you a target when the SHTF.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Not read the full article yet but whilst the subject was preppers mistakes i had to share the funniest thing i'd ever seen kind of on topic. i was watching the program about preppers on NGC. and a fella on that was smugly giving it all that about how society is gonna need people like him and how everyone else will be panicking and up pooh creek without a paddle but people like him and his obsessively trained children would be better. He then on camera whilst showing his young children how to shoot (very uncomfortable to watch) accidentally shot himself in the hand and went unconcious. i fell off my chair laughing. so glad we'll have people like him running round with tins of corned beef armed and with armed children.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by glassspider
Not read the full article yet but whilst the subject was preppers mistakes i had to share the funniest thing i'd ever seen kind of on topic. i was watching the program about preppers on NGC. and a fella on that was smugly giving it all that about how society is gonna need people like him and how everyone else will be panicking and up pooh creek without a paddle but people like him and his obsessively trained children would be better. He then on camera whilst showing his young children how to shoot (very uncomfortable to watch) accidentally shot himself in the hand and went unconcious. i fell off my chair laughing. so glad we'll have people like him running round with tins of corned beef armed and with armed children.

hahaha I saw that one too! hilarious...

Honestly people planning to stay in their home anywhere in the suburbs/cities are nuts.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If you are prepping that's great I too enjoy being prepared for situations for me it's mostly the learning and
Exchange of ideas I enjoy. Plus the great out doors and the feeling of being self sufficient

The man or woman you live near that you show how to do something could be the person that saves your life
Because as we all do , you made a mistake and now your knocked out and freezing to death

That being said the NGC show is well it is what it is, I would like to know who their so called experts are
I mean like background experience and so on. There are way to many arm chair experts in this world as it is now NGC wants to add more who knows maybe they are some computer jockies for FEMA......
edit on 12/27/2012 by geocom because: Typo

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cartesia

Haha iiterally fell off my chair. i dont think logic comes into it for a lot of them whilst its sensible if you live a place that has ferocious weather to stock up on things you'll need some of these people think they will survive a meteor hitting the planet or one of the big volcanoes going off plunging us into a nuclear winter if they just have enough rice and guns most importantly guns. itll all be okay if we can just shoot enough people who we think are trying to steal our rice.

the zombie preppers was even better people emotionally chatting about the almost certainty that the zombie takeover was coming and arguing and crying about the fact (as they see it) that they will have to shoot their children in the face when they get infected. to paraphrase george carlin people are flipping goofy

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Simple one's ability to hunt and gather from nature. Being able to make what one needs from nature.

I know for a fact I can walk away from my home with nothing. Them more you have with you the more of a target you will be.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I personally look at #3 but I really think the problem comes with prepping too much to stay, not leave. I hear people always talking about buying this and buy that ....cases of a little of everything.

Well, last I knew, I could manage about a 100lb pack and that isn't going to be doing anything fancy...quickly...or with grace. The way I'm looking at this, if we're even fortunate enough to be home if something should happen suddenly ...there are about 100 reasons why any given geographic area may become untenable. If it isn't sudden, then simply being known for what you have is enough to 'prep' for the possibility of turning your back and walking away from all of it...if the situation dictates survival that way.

So it always concerns me....How many people who prep and especially among the urban people, have ever even spent a weekend out in the woods with no running water, electricity, communication devices of ANY kind and nothing but the wind and each others company to pass time by? If things get bad...it won't be a weekend. It could be much much longer. Homeless is one way to put the way that happens...or worse. Depends on how the future unfolds.

I'd just say that while everyone makes sure there is at LEAST 3-6 weeks of comfortable eating and drinking (Not digging Ramen noodles out from packing boxes dating to your college days by the 2nd week either
) It's equally important to look outside and at the woods..or desert or wherever we may be and consider .. "If I have to LIVE in that open natural area for days or weeks and only what I carry.....how?" I know by camping so much in my youth, it can be done and without Military training ....but it can't very well be learned DURING an emergency that doesn't tolerate mistakes and grants few second chances.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
#1 mistake prepers make = believing in the first place.

Oh!!

Can't stop

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I don't know about having to believe in anything. The Ice Storm that devestated this entire region and left this area of Missouri without power, fuel or operating stores for 7-14 days depending on location.....sure made believers out of those who had laughed off the idea before.

2007 Ice Storm

That was the event I learned how happy I could be about prepping what I had ...and just how much I hadn't thought of for needing in the future. There is nothing quite like the dead silence of a winter landscape .....inside what should be a bustling city....and realizing, no one knows when lights or..HEAT..gets turned back on for anyone?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia
jeez if the writer of that article doesn't know how to use a compass I'm not sure I'd look to them for survival information

Lol, I chuckled when I read that myself. However it then immediaely dawned on me that most of the guys in my unit, couldn't use basic land nav skills, without a GPS.. It is truly sad how people will forget the basics when the latest and greatest new electric gizmo's come out.

My primary Land Nav equipment:

Compass
Grease Pencil
Notepad
Map

I have a GPS unit but I rarley use it, unless I am needing to give GOS coords for SAR, otherwise its all map and compass.

Grim

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I personally look at #3 but I really think the problem comes with prepping too much to stay, not leave. I hear people always talking about buying this and buy that ....cases of a little of everything.

Well, last I knew, I could manage about a 100lb pack and that isn't going to be doing anything fancy...quickly...or with grace. The way I'm looking at this, if we're even fortunate enough to be home if something should happen suddenly ...there are about 100 reasons why any given geographic area may become untenable. If it isn't sudden, then simply being known for what you have is enough to 'prep' for the possibility of turning your back and walking away from all of it...if the situation dictates survival that way.

So it always concerns me....How many people who prep and especially among the urban people, have ever even spent a weekend out in the woods with no running water, electricity, communication devices of ANY kind and nothing but the wind and each others company to pass time by? If things get bad...it won't be a weekend. It could be much much longer. Homeless is one way to put the way that happens...or worse. Depends on how the future unfolds.

I'd just say that while everyone makes sure there is at LEAST 3-6 weeks of comfortable eating and drinking (Not digging Ramen noodles out from packing boxes dating to your college days by the 2nd week either
) It's equally important to look outside and at the woods..or desert or wherever we may be and consider .. "If I have to LIVE in that open natural area for days or weeks and only what I carry.....how?" I know by camping so much in my youth, it can be done and without Military training ....but it can't very well be learned DURING an emergency that doesn't tolerate mistakes and grants few second chances.

Mm,i'm not a prepper as it goes against my general principle of life ~ cross that bridge when i come to it.lol.

Seriously though WB2000 makes a lot of sense and I know from growing up in a rural area and camping,fishing,mountain/rock climbing,shooting rabbits (we had air rifles,guns not common in the UK) how to catch food,skin and prep it for cooking,light fires w/o matches,make traps and snares,where to catch fish w/o rod and line.

I figure don't need too much prepping just take to the hills and go native.lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join