It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Plea For Decency

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
In the wake of the recent, atrocious loss of life experienced in Connecticut, USA - I feel compelled to question the appropriateness of ATS continuing to make available the Weapons and Tactics Forum open for discussion.

Regardless of our beliefs surrounding weapons ownership and usage, our political bias, religious persuation, gender, generation, nationality or income status, we all carry a social responsibility for the betterment of our communities and the development of we, as people.

Regardless of our beliefs and theories surrounding the circumstances of this horrific event, any reasonable person should be appalled by this tragedy and ideally be introspective enough to reassess their value of community, and the role they contribute.

In a plea for decency and out of respect for lives lost, I believe consideration should made to temporarliy suspend this particular forum until further notice.

ATS, what are your thoughts??

ETA: It's late here, I'll return.
edit on 27-12-2012 by Perhaps because: add

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
so this one event is going to change EVERYTHING we ever do or say?

What about the next, and the next?

People are pretty naive if you think anything you do will change human nature or the inevitability of bad things happening once and a while. It is arrogant to think that what happens to you or in your time is more important than what will happen in the future. Arrogant in thinking that people will not need traditions or other things you wish to get rid of just because you don´t.

I think it is inappropriate to ask for accommodation to the rest of the world because YOU personally don't like something and wish to change everything you don't like.

Sometimes we just have to live with things we don't like by ignoring them. It is like saying that patriot act and Homeland security were necessary FOR EVER, and that we should change flags every now and again to keep them in style with current fashion trends.

Just look away and stop playing the heart strings of moral this or decency that. How about respecting peoples right to disagree and be different? Is that not "worthy" anymore?

edit on 27-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
OP what you are asking for goes against the core beliefs of what ATS is all about. Freedom. Openness. Expression for all. It is easy to advocate freedom of speech/beliefs when they mirror our own, much more difficult when they don't.

It is said again and again, but still no one hears. If you take away my forum in this case, you are ultimately taking away your own. To be clear, I personally am not a big fan of the particular forum you want removed, but I will fight to keep it on principle.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perhaps

In a plea for decency and out of respect for lives lost, I believe consideration should made to temporarliy suspend this particular forum until further notice.

Actually the decent thing is to question authority and find out the real reason those people were killed.

If I had kids and one of them were murdered; I would want the TRUTH and not just the bogus official story.

Using "decency" to stifle investigation and reason is censorship! Censorship is indecent!
edit on 27-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I am curious to see how TAN would respond to an American assault weapon ban.

Would TAN eliminate all chatter about assault weapons [snip]

edit on 27-12-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

reply to post by Iamschist

reply to post by olaru12

reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

Thankyou all for your replies, they each offer a different perspective and much food for thought... and there lays the value of ATS.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Weapons and Tactics isn't my cup of tea, but I don't think it should get taken from those who enjoy it. It's not like the mods are going to allow people to plan mass murders here. Also it isn't disrespectful or indecent to like or talk about guns right now. I like old Sci fi movies and shows, some people dig guns.
edit on 27-12-2012 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Regardless of our beliefs surrounding weapons ownership and usage, our political bias, religious persuation, gender, generation, nationality or income status, we all carry a social responsibility for the betterment of our communities and the development of we, as people.

Shuting it down WOULD be a matter of narrow bias.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Go some place else if you can't handle discussion.

No one is changing anything for YOU, because YOU think it's inappropriate.

Honestly, this planet saw TWO WORLD WARS, where's your thread about the WW3 forum??

I question you..

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

In the wake of the recent, atrocious loss of life experienced in Connecticut, USA - I feel compelled to question the appropriateness of ATS continuing to make available the Weapons and Tactics Forum open for discussion.

Regardless of our beliefs and theories surrounding the circumstances of this horrific event, any reasonable person should be appalled by this tragedy and ideally be introspective enough to reassess their value of community, and the role they contribute.

Man.. you do realize what kind of world we live in right????????

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

I feel compelled to question the appropriateness of ATS continuing to make available the Weapons and Tactics Forum open for discussion.

After that, the Political Forums, because we disagree with government, ad naseum. Each forum on ATS is a stand alone entity, check your baggage at the door, and stay on topic in that forum.

Easy.

It's a troubling situation, yes, but it can't affect the rest of ATS. There are those who shy from the whole SH situation, and God Bless Them for not soiling themselves with the sometimes horribly inhuman discourse, and in that respect, you can choose what to read, and what not to.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

edit on 12/27/12 by Druid42 because: dbl post.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Perhaps there is a way to approach this atrocious loss of life and still show respect for the lives taken from all families involved.

When would the suspensions end?

Perhaps the Weapons and Tactics Forum is truly the WTF forum of all ATS forums.

Perhaps one of my favorite words is perhaps and I have overstayed my welcome in this thread.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I feel the exact opposite. Now is the time, more than ever, we should be aware of the weapons we can use to protect ourselves from lunatics.

When an ostrich puts its head in the sand chances are his ass will get blown off.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Really?

Who, in their right mind, is so threatened by casual and innocent conversation?

What happened in Connecticut is a tragedy. But really? 2 weeks later, and we are still not willing to start letting it go?

And why is this a conversation about weapons and guns? Why in the hell aren't you outraged about the REAL cause: the utterly pathetic efforts at what passes for "mental health care" in this country? Without guns, crazies will still kill people. Why not try to stop THAT, instead of worrying about the method they will use to unleash their madness?

This, seriously, has gotten to the point of making me just roll my eyes. Which is sad, because I shouldn't feel that way. I should feel shocked and outraged at the killer, or the lack of prevention via adequate mental health care. Instead I am shocked and outraged at the knee jerk, small minded reactions that seem to be growing rather than receding, as would be logical and normal. To the point where we now have ATS users feeling so threatened by people discussing something that they don't like that they want it censored.
edit on 28-12-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

No, no, no, no, NO!

Now is NOT the time to be censoring speech and denying rights of association.

When we are wounded, when we are hurt -- it is just then that it is most important for people to be able to speak out, and be heard. Because even if we disagree with someone, even if we are offended and horrified and turned around by it, we might still benefit from hearing it. And we have no right to deny someone the chance to improve by hearing something new.

"It's not just the right of the person who speaks to be heard, it is the right of everyone in the audience to listen, and to hear. And every time you silence somebody, you deny yourself the right to hear something -- your own right to hear and be exposed is as much involved as is the right of the person to speak... If all in society were agreed on the truth and beauty and value of one proposition -- all except one person: It would be most important of all that that one person be heard." - Christopher Hitchens

We are not talking about a "forum" here, we are talking about a community, and their forum. They have a right to speak as much as you -- and you have the right to listen, and to hear.

www.youtube.com...

This is a 20 minute video of Hitchens speaking on the subject of free speech and free expression. I'm certain you will enjoy it.

-R

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Here comes the progressive I know what is best for you thread.
If you consider yourself a liberal progressive you should take good hard look at this thread and ask yourself some hard questions.

Were does this slippery slope stop? Who decides what we should talk about?

To the OP in my eyes you are a fascist and I bet you lean far left of center. I know I am painting with a big brush but sometimes you need to just slap the paint up. I bet you are the type that will cry for tolerance until it is something you dislike then it should just be banned. Typical liberal crap.

Think about it instead of just not reading threads you dislike you want them never to exist. If I was you I would feel ashamed of myself.
edit on 28-12-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Not to be picky or anything....but fascists typically don't tend towards the left end. Fascism tends to be very right leaning.

Having said that, any political mind can exert socio-economic pressure on the populace.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Why bring this up now? There has been a lot of killing over the last 12 months. The list is long. Why now?

I do not have an interest in the weapons side of things but I am really interested in mass murderers and what makes them tick. Does that mean I can not explore that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join