It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega ice meteor lands in Morocco

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Not quite a "snowball apocalypse", but still interesting.

Has anybody else been noticing the huge increase in meteor sightings. It seems like there is a "fire in the sky" story every day or two. Not too long ago it would be unusual to see a significant meteor more than once or twice a month at most. Now they are happening all over the world on an almost daily basis. The thing that bothers me is that astronomers admit that they have covered only a small part of the sky looking for near earth asteroids. When one sees this many small ones one has to wonder if there is a BIG ONE somewhere in the mix???

SOURCE

December 27, 2012 - MOROCCO - A Moroccan farmer got the shock of his life when a giant snowball fell to earth leaving a half metre hole in his land.

The farmer from the Hrira region split the ice and put it in his fridge to prevent it melting. Local authorities then sent a team of scientists who confirmed that it was in fact a 'mega meteor' from space.

edit on 27-12-2012 by happykat39 because: added info

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I bet he licked it
I know I would have had some space ice lolly.
I reckon he can sell that space snowball for mega bucks or was it a space snowman?
S&F.
edit on 27-12-2012 by boymonkey74 because: dyslexia

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If it was that big when it hit the ground, how big was it before it entered our atmosphere?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Interesting, wonder how many of these fall to earth?

Suppose, given enough time, they could have provided the source of water on Earth?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Anyone else wondering why this isn't being tested for frozen "alien" virii and bacteria? Also why was this man not put into quarantine just in case it did have some sort of virii or bacteria on/in it? If it is still frozen there is a chance that something could still be preserved inside it. Just saying...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
and thats how water reaches planets.....

every planet..in the universe

s&f

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Anyone else wondering why this isn't being tested for frozen "alien" virii and bacteria? Also why was this man not put into quarantine just in case it did have some sort of virii or bacteria on/in it? If it is still frozen there is a chance that something could still be preserved inside it. Just saying...

this was my 1st impression too

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

The farmer from the Hrira region split the ice and put it in his fridge to prevent it melting. Local authorities then sent a team of scientists who confirmed that it was in fact a 'mega meteor' from space.

thecelestialconvergence.blogspot.com...

Not "mega meteor" and not from space. It's called a megacryometeor and they form within the atmosphere.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Not "mega meteor" and not from space. It's called a megacryometeor and they form within the atmosphere.
en.wikipedia.org...

That explains why they could care less about it, the contents, and the fact that the farmer has it then.

link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

you re right..it scare me a litle bit..but mostly, i am afraid this is just bigining of gigantit meteor approaching eart with slow speed

link   

en.wikipedia.org...

im missing the part where the link provided says its an megacryometeor

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage. You spoil sport.

But I thought that some meteorites were composed of ice, Does not this ice come to earth?

(Stands by for a corrective science lecture.
)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

It doesn't. It says it's a "mega meteor" and that it is from space. The article is wrong.
If it were a meteor(ite) there is nothing mega about it. If it were from space it would not have survived entry into the atmosphere. It is a megacryometeor, a large ice meteor.

edit on 12/27/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I'm confused. Did a decent sized rock fall from space, within it containing Ice, upon landing and breaking apart revealing it. Or did a giant Ice ball fall from space.

EDIT: very slow typing....missed all the recent posts....

edit on 27-12-2012 by blackspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dowot

These ice meteors are rare but not unheard of. The process of their formation isn't really understood (one reason is because they are so rare) but it is well established that the ice is of Earthly origin.
www.damninteresting.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It came from Pluto/Hades.
Just a guess....

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Nice find happyKat39, as mentioned by others if this is in fact space debris then it validates how larger celestial objects containing potential liquid in frozen form can deliver water and other life sustaining liquids to different planets and moons.. Moons
MAKES 1 THINK WHAT SWIMS IN METHANE POOLS out there

snf

NAMASTE*******

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

reply to post by dowot

These ice meteors are rare but not unheard of. The process of their formation isn't really understood (one reason is because they are so rare) but it is well established that the ice is of Earthly origin.
www.damninteresting.com...

So clearly Phage all that is needed is a material examination of the object to prove it is of EA*RTH origins.

edit on 12/27/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

probable much more bigger, but we all know most of it burns when it reaches our atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I doubt it.

I don't know enough, but here's what I think I know:
1) The rock needs to be thick to protect against cosmic rays
2) The amount of time is limited; millions of years might be too much

They've been able to reduce the chances of Panspermia with some newer research. They haven't eliminated it. In fact, some research has shown tiny insects to survive in space!

Here:
www.asiantribune.com - Survival of Water Bears in Space Strengthens Theory of Panspermia – Chandra Wickremasinghe...
edit on 27-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join