It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost Box Alternatives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
There was a post a while back about the efficacy of ghost boxes. I personally don't see them as a valid scientific research tool but it did get me thinking. People will use loosely screwed together flashlights and ask for responses as well as the ghost boxes so I thought, what If I combined those two concepts. So what if we arranged a group of prerecorded words with momentary switches? Kind of like a Ouija board that "spirits" can activate the same way they would a flashlight. This would take out some of the randomness and provide a different medium for communicating. While I still don't feel that it's part of a valid scientific method, it still might provide some interesting insight and perhaps provide a better avenue for communication.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I've never tried my "ghost box" in an area with paranormal happenings. To date I still have pretty good success capturing evp's on a regular digital recorder around 90% of the time. To be fair though, I rarely ever even try to communicate with entities these ways anymore. Once every 4-5 months if that.

The ghost box combined with a loosely screwed flashlight sounds like a pretty good idea. I was thinking of rigging a camera so that the button is extremely easy to push. That way I could see if something can get the camera to take a picture of itself. Another idea I had was to take one of those electric balls with electricity inside, the kind that when you touch the glass, the electricity arcs to the part of the glass ball you touch. Even better, I would like to take 5 or 6 of them to somewhere with paranormal activity. Use those along with candles, a ghost box and a digital recorder.

Personally it's not that much fun to me now. In my past experience it seems most entities are normal humans who haven't passed on yet for whatever reason, mixed in with the occasional demon and who knows what else. They seem to group up together the longer you spend on playing or chasing them. Then everywhere you go, there something goes with you.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Myth024

Sorry to be ignorant but what are ghost boxes??

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myth024
So what if we arranged a group of prerecorded words with momentary switches?

Maybe electrostatic detectors would be easier for them to operate...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I've not really heard much about ghostboxes what is the idea behind them ??

I would like to know what is the scientific basis behind the theory that 'ghosts' are made of or use electromagnetic fields,,it seems to be an accepted fact in all the paranormal shows and what they base their detection equipment on but where does the theory come from ??

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

edit on 27/12/12 by fastbob72 because: double post :-(

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Myth024

I'm warning you no to try Ganzfeld experiments for that. Could turn out not favourably.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TauNorthwolf

Ya, i dont think i would try that either...

to the thread, i'm not sold on the ghostbox idea,
that and the one's i have seen are hard as heck to
understand, after about 5 min i start getting a headache,
i think i would pass on buying one of them.

If things work out, i will be building a scold mic this month and
give that a shot, i have a few variations in mind.
But that all depends on budget this month.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I went and looked at several sites to find out some background into the ghostbox as I've not heard of this before.

I can't say I found much that was particularly convincing.Apparently it's basically an AM/FM radio scanner that is continually sweeping back and forward quickly across the units radioband.

The associated squeaks,squeals,static,snippets of words and music are the basic materials of speech that give the 'ghost' the raw vocabulary to communicate with.

Why this is said to work nobody,from what I read,can actually say.I presume it has to do with the theory that ghosts are/can use Electromagnetic Field,EMF to communicate,interact or manifest in the physical world.

Again I have asked many where does that belief come from because I've yet to hear what the basis for that theory is !!

A spike on an EMF meter is often claimed to be an indication that there is an entity present.Why ??

It could be from any number of plausable sourcer.A modern car with an engine management system where the shielding has physically deteriorated it's the earth contact isnt sound will leak a high EMF so if you're in a house next to a road a passing car could cause a sudden spike.

One night while playing my guitar I had german voices coming from my amp, somehow it picked up a radio signal,maybe a plane was flying overhead or maybe the atmospheric conditions were such it was simply german radio who knows.What i'm sure it wasn't was german ghosts.It was none the less quite disturbing to hear them,not in a paranormal way but just having germans blaring out my marshall stack at 2am on a dead quiet night.lol

What I'm say though is anomolous and errant signals picked up over radio waves are,at times,very weird but paranormal.Hardly.Which is why I find ghostboxes and EMF detectors as dubious at least.

If someone could explain the paranormal/EMF connection with some real basis is science maybe i may feel differently.

The thing is I do believe in the paranormal though I can't explain what's behind it but I don't see the EMF hypothesis has been adequately made.

As I've said a number of times if somebody can put me straight on it I'm all ears.No,I actually mean that please clear my confusion,i love to understand !!

theness.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I had okay success using just my leaving my laptop on record and walking out of the room. I caught a couple of EVPs - one we couldn't make out as voice or mechanical. I had a wicked dream that convinced me to stop attempting recording for awhile. The message was loud and clear "leave it alone, it will leave you alone." I haven't been brave enough to try and record since. I think you have to be careful when reaching out to pick up energy because you just never know what you're going to get in return. And some things may be harder to get rid of then others. I think the same goes with Ghost Boxes (never tried) and Ouija Boards. You just have to be really careful no matter what device or method you use.
edit on 28-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Myth024

This is a fascinating idea. The loose flashlight communication is spotty to me because what happens is the metals heat up and cool down around the connection. This guy's video explains it well. I like his videos because he is ghost hunting as scientific as one can considering it is not officially a science. It seems that is just more of a ratings gimmick for the ghost shows.

Here's his vid on the flashlights:

Your idea is a fascinating one for sure, maybe some way similar to your idea could work though. I like the way you think about the paranormal, I am the same way.

Have you tried using EVP assistant? It is a free program that creates different colors/kinds of noise(white,pink, ect). One of the sounds you can choose is Spiricom. It simulates the tones used by the creator of the original Spiricom. I have tried once during an audio evp session but did not capture anything the time I tried it so I wonder if others have tried using this tone on Evp Assistant.

Here's a link for Evp Assistant:www.ghost-tech.com...
Link for channel of video creator:www.youtube.com...

edit on 12/29/2012 by mcx1942 because: fix

edit on 12/29/2012 by mcx1942 because: add

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gazzachel

The simplest form of a ghost box is a radio that scans active radio stations. The idea being that an entity will cause the radio to stop momentarily and you will hear a phrase or word from a radio station.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by fastbob72

I believe that the conclusion that electromagnetic fields are an indication of "ghost" activity is from cause and effect. A high emf reading was detected at the same time either a photo or an EVP was detected. The original Idea of using an EMF detector may have come from the idea that an entity needed to use some form of energy to manifest. Personally I don't believe that we are dealing with actual ghosts but rather a space-time anomaly. Either way any type of paranormal event would require the use of some type of energy and the idea is that the manifestation of such an event would have the product of an increase in a magnetic field.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jameliel

Those "balls" your talking about are filled with plasma gas and could possibly be too sensitive to normal environmental conditions to be able to render any accurate or definitive results. As far as the switch I was thinking of using; I was considering a momentary switch that is normally open. You can actually make one with two pieces of metal that when touched together complete a circuit. You would just need to make sure that there is a mechanism that will keep them apart unless they are lightly pushed together and to make sure the gap between them is big enough that changes in temperature don't cause them to touch without direct interaction. Some camera's have an input specifically for a button that will cause the camera to take a picture. Usually they are a spring loaded normally open momentary switch. Pressing the button closes the circuit and the camera takes a picture. So using that type of switch for a camera might work for your idea.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

That's actually pretty cool and I can see how a response would be easier to generate. I wonder, however, if it might actually be too sensitive and other sources of electrostatic energy could set it off and provide false positives. IF it's true that an entity needs energy to manifest and IF an em pump can provide useable energy then the theory could hold that enough energy could be provided for an entity to be able to operate a momentary switch. If there is no doubt that anything other than some type of intelligent energy manipulation is providing an intelligent response by utilizing the mechanism I have in mind, then I feel we will be much closer to having true verifiable communication.

new topics

top topics

join