It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celestia Tours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
*posting this second time... got a board message declaring repeat post... ran search on Celestia, with no response. Oh well*

As reported by Steven Johnson, in the November 2004 issue of Discover, Celestia is a free software program which places you in a virtual space tour, complete with updated and accurate visuals from the likes of NASA and ESA.

YOU control where you go in this free and open ended simulator... you aren't restricted to the inner... or outer... solar system, either. The whole galaxy, nay, the whole multiverse is yours, thanks to free updates and user plug-ins. Not restricted to the real, you can also visit Tatooine, the space station from 2001: Space Odyssey, and much more.

Travel back in time, watch the solar system run backwards... or jump to the future and see Venus as it is being terra-formed. Follow along comets, or fix a stationary point in the cosmos and watch everything circle around you. Move faster then light... everything is possible here, including different spacecraft for your use.

The initial program was designed by Chris Laurel of Microsoft, and can be found here, with plug-ins and add-ons on a different, yet easily navigatable site.

I'll be downloading this tonight, after kids are in bed and wife gets home so I don't tie up my phone line... on a 56K, I'm looking at 35 minutes plus to download a 12 MB file; this is the smallest file you can get, with the largest at 17MB... but I figure, with the add-ons, I can explore now and choose what I want.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The motherlode site... definitly looking forward to this now; Babylon 5 add-on with planets and craft.

God, I miss that show...

new topics

join