It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dave Chappelle: (Why he left.) In His Own Words

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Here is the reason Dave went to Africa, in his own words:

Good for him ya know?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
read between the lines

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Loved his show! Favorite skit was the blind, black klan leader. Lmao every time I see it. " Can't understand you... go back to your country, white power!" Lol

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
In my own personal opinion it sounds like a cop out. It sounds to me like he just couldn't take the pressure of trying to live up to the image that the public had created of him. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our limits. Personally I've turned down a very high paying job because the stress and time away from my family just weren't worth it. What's the use in being well off monetarily if your miserable all the time and can't even enjoy the fruits of your labor?

Cool video though. S and F

edit on 27-12-2012 by jokerzwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
did he just die? or are you just posting this? people online are saying he is dead?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

He's not dead, he just left comedy central and pretty much hollywood, heard he performs at a local comedy club some times. He was sick of the BS.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokerzwild
In my own personal opinion it sounds like a cop out. It sounds to me like he just couldn't take the pressure of trying to live up to the image that the public had created of him. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our limits. Personally I've turned down a very high paying job because the stress and time away from my family just weren't worth it. What's the use in being well off monetarily if your miserable all the time and can't even enjoy the fruits of your labor?

Cool video though. S and F

I seriously doubt it was a cop out nor any image to live up to. Like he said, when you reach a certain number you become something else. When a giant company like Viacom throws $55 million at you, they don't just do it for free, they expect to own you and I'm pretty sure some of those demands they made, he wasn't comfortable with.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I seriously admire this guy. He didn't just talk the talk - he walked the walk.

He literally walked away to stick to his core values. I love how he moved back close to hime.

I bet one day he rises like a phoenix, funnier than we can possibly imagine, because he has been "keeping it real" LOL!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Go ask Charlie Murphy what he thinks of him...

Do you think he blew it a little bit?

A little bit? First of all, to be black, you a lightning rod in that respect already. And to be black and get the opportunity and then throw it away? I don’t know too many guys that did that and still had a career. You can’t name a guy in the history of the show business who thumbed his nose at the industry and still was supported by the industry. But whatever his reasons, Dave’s happy.

Charlie Murphy

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Pffft!

RICK JAMES: Charlie! There's a new joke goin' around - have you heard it? What did the five fingers say to the face?

CHARLIE MURPHY: [doesn't understand] What?

RICK JAMES: SLAP!

LOL!

www.quotefully.com...'s+Show/Charlie+Murphy
edit on 12/27/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think that everything that Dave said, he meant. I was kind of touched by his words. Look at the people in the crowds faces, they knew what he was saying. It was like he perfectly described with great emotion the plastic shallow world that is Hollywood. I respect the Man. ~$heopleNation

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I never heard of dave chappelle till 2010.... and even then I never really payed much attention to him till i found some of his stuff on netflix. I didn't get too far into it just enough to get a feel for him and what people kept referencing.

When I first saw him I was like " hey that's the guy from bluestreak" and the only reason I knew that was because it was the only movie my brother had one summer when i was at his place.

I think he left because of a combination of BS, and pressure to come up with more and more content. From the little I saw some was good and some was forced and hard to watch.

Usually when people in entertainment start to suck they have their downward spiral documented if they try to stay relevant in entertainment. Look at a britney spears... and the embarrassment she was when she tried to come back. she never really recovered.

I think he did a good thing by getting out at a peak which pretty much put him in many peoples eyes as a legend. Most legends in entertainment usually had their career end abrubtly.

This guy knows his limitations, is realistic and knows what is truly important to him...

What he did reminds me of what the character george constanza did in one episode.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Muy Profundo...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by votanI think he left because of a combination of BS, and pressure to come up with more and more content. From the little I saw some was good and some was forced and hard to watch.

If you watch his dvd set more than once like many of us, you'd realize nothing was forced.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokerzwild
In my own personal opinion it sounds like a cop out. It sounds to me like he just couldn't take the pressure of trying to live up to the image that the public had created of him.

A cop out? Are you implying that he's mistaken, and there is nothing 'sick' about Hollywood?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

This is a splice of different previous videos.

Dave was surprised that a “credible” magazine like Time would spew lies. Welcome to the world of mainstream corporate media.

Hes talked about the bizarre rituals that come out of Hollywood, one of them, to feminize male celebrities.

Like Artie Lange, Dave is one of those people who felt like he didn’t deserve his success.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I don't think that Dave has been entirely forthcoming with the level of sickness that he observed, which caused his retreat from the world of hollywierd.

Can't say that I blame him, though.... but I think maybe he can't say exactly what it was.
edit on 28-12-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You got to respect the man for keeping it 'real'.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I wasn't even aware this happened. Makes me sad because he made me laugh so many times I couldn't even count them all. I'm happy for him though on his quest for happiness...do whatever you gotta do we'll still love you Chapelle.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
More power to him. He has figured out what most can't. And he has turned down what most don't have the power to turn down. That is a strong individual right there. More power to him.

I'm currently reading a book that breaks down the "Hollywood Formula" which is the illusion we unconsciously follow (due to watching movies, music videos and TV shows) when looking for love, intimacy and a lasting relationship. And that formula is doomed to fail; the current U.S. divorce statistics prove it. (I won't discuss any further in this thread as to stay on topic, though I will probably create a thread on the topic in the near future.)

Hollywood is very powerful in its influence, and it is very difficult to counteract it when you don't even realize it is influencing you.

Thanks for the video Mugen!

edit on 28-12-2012 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2012 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join