It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors call for a ban on kitchen knives.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Some of the arguments here are ridiculous.

Anybody in the UK can make a call to ban something, just as they can in the US. It's simply exercising ones right to free speech, regardless of the intelligence or common sense of the person involved or the point of view being published.

What's happened here is that someone has spouted off their ill-considered opinion on the solution to a problem and this has been picked up by some journalist looking for a story on a slow news day. This does not mean that the ban implemented, or even considered by the government. (This goes the same for the post about banning of glasses in pubs.)

This has been pointed out multiple times in this topic, yet posters continue to ignore the posts which show this to be true. Don't ignore posts which shoot holes in your argument or point of view, you'll come across as stupid or ignorant.

I think this topic was created simply because the OP was pissed about other non-US citizens (Brits in particular) giving their opinions on US gun control. Instead of fabricating a story that the UK is trying to ban knives why not argue your case properly? You'll get a whole lot more respect from this and would be far more likely to change the views of others if your reasoning was valid.
edit on 27-12-2012 by murrayfieldroar because: spelling

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Doctor's call for stupid stuff all the time. Doesn't mean it will get implemented.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I dunno Stu, almost everywhere I go in Workington now serves pints in plastic pint glasses(?Plastasses?
).

They are even introducing plastic bottles of beer/alcopops,I noticed similar on nights out in Carlisle, Cockermouth and Keswick, although not in as many pubs.

I would be surprised if that isn't happening further south.

A pint of John Smiths in plastic just doesn't feel right.

As for the OP.....as stated by other posters the story is 5 years old and got laughed at by all but those who published the report. I suspect this is some sort of stab at the Brits who have expressed their concerns over the current US gun dilemma.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
37 Flags ATS what a fail .
Deny ignorance smh.
I think i've lost 50 iq points reading this thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
you know, a thought occurs to me, truth is violence is really the only authority that
matters, when situations like say hitler happen, do we simply politely ask them to
stop? sure we do, at first anyway, but what we don't do is continue that course
for endless amounts of time seeing no solution come about, we use violence to
stop the problem.

the idea that many seem stuck on is that violence is always a bad thing, well i hate
to say this because im sure many will find offense but violence is sometimes a
necessity, sometimes people give no other choice, sometimes they will not
leave you alone, sometimes you are forced to choose between laying down
and simply letting someone kitchen knife you to death or standing up and
using violence to protect yourself, and if you ask me, id rather be armed with
a proper weapon, one designed specifically to carry out violence.

this is and always will be a debate about whether or not you have the right to
protect yourself, period. i believe i have the right to protect myself and to be
self sufficient, we cannot rely on governments to do that job for us, they may
not always be around......... if tomorrow our government were to do something
insane like run off to cuba with all our money and build a mini super island
holiday getaway, id rather me and my neighbors have the ability to protect
ourselves from day 1.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by mal1970

No one was trying "to ban" anything. Some Doctor spoke about it in a conference, that doesn't mean anything. We're still using pint glasses and glass bottles in our Pubs.

If you bothered to read the article, there was already progress made to harden the glass used in pubs. This was not a lone voice in the dark. Protectionism is a disease. The idea may have been proposed by 1 doc, but nanny-state-ism spreads. The cattle cannot not trusted to care for themselves.

I'm pretty sure, if I dug around on the web, I could find stories of similiar things being said by busy-body idiots in the USA. Doesn't mean jack though.

No arguments there. We have 647 elected busy-body idiots in federal office with countless more in staff. I already illustrated the soda ban in the US.

We're not far behind! Unfortunately the UK is what the US will look like in a decade or few.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by gladtobehere

Let's just ban stupid people.
Of course the first to go will be politicians.... so it will be a hard sell.

Dude. Yes.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
you know, a thought occurs to me, truth is violence is really the only authority that
matters, when situations like say hitler happen, do we simply politely ask them to
stop? sure we do, at first anyway, but what we don't do is continue that course
for endless amounts of time seeing no solution come about, we use violence to
stop the problem.

the idea that many seem stuck on is that violence is always a bad thing, well i hate
to say this because im sure many will find offense but violence is sometimes a
necessity, sometimes people give no other choice, sometimes they will not
leave you alone, sometimes you are forced to choose between laying down
and simply letting someone kitchen knife you to death or standing up and
using violence to protect yourself, and if you ask me, id rather be armed with
a proper weapon, one designed specifically to carry out violence.

this is and always will be a debate about whether or not you have the right to
protect yourself, period. i believe i have the right to protect myself and to be
self sufficient, we cannot rely on governments to do that job for us, they may
not always be around......... if tomorrow our government were to do something
insane like run off to cuba with all our money and build a mini super island
holiday getaway, id rather me and my neighbors have the ability to protect
ourselves from day 1.

Violence has no ideology. It is simply a tool.
It can be used for evil. It can be used for good.

There is no debate on the right to defend ones' self. It is self evident.

Our government was not instituted to protect us individually. That is our individual responsibility.

Our government was instituted to protect our rights, so that they could not be taken away by majority sentiment & democratic whim... something it has utterly failed at doing.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I've only ever got plastic "glasses" in clubs where it seems it's motivated mainly by cost. It is, after all, down to the landlord of the establishment and none of the many pubs near me use plastic. There is certainly no law, either local or national, to force anyone to use either and I highly doubt there ever will be.

Besides, those plastic cups, if you tear them right, can become quite a nasty shiv...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Even if they were to ban kitchen knives, go buy a machete

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
You have to be kidding me right? This is crazy! Everyone get rid of your weapons-all of them-ya right! You can make anything a weapon.
I am really lost for words again. I love these threads that spin your head. Really I just wanna curse a lot and say really funny mean things about/toward those morons (all morons who think (actually believe)) that throwing away our weapons will drop crime. It will make more crime dummies!

If any morons are in this threads consider this: Tell your friends, family, and any stranger you meet that you and all of your neighbors got rid of your guns and you only store butter knives in the house. Let's see how long you and your family last with their valuables. You try it first and tell the rest of us how it works out then we may consider following in your footsteps...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mal1970

I did read the article, years ago when it was first discussed! I have no idea why this thread seems to be some sort of catalyst for digging up old news....

Besides, trials of a toughened glass in one city 2-3 years ago under the old Government mean nothing. At the end of the day, there is no law in place, there won't be a law in place any time this Parliament at the very least and it is solely down the industry/market to decide which way to go.

More often than not, people prefer their beer in a glass and until that changes, it's here to stay. The damned Euro's have been trying to stop us selling beer in pints for 20 years, yet it is still being done...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
If any morons are in this threads consider this:

The only morons in this thread are those who

a) think it is actually happened/happening/about to happen

b) didn't bother to read the source article properly, including it's date

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mal1970
There is no debate on the right to defend ones' self. It is self evident.

And we have the right to self defence in the UK, something which has been recently clarified further given some "misunderstandings" under the Labour Government......

Originally posted by mal1970
Our government was not instituted to protect us individually. That is our individual responsibility.

Our government was instituted to protect our rights, so that they could not be taken away by majority sentiment & democratic whim... something it has utterly failed at doing.

Not sure what Government you're on about there. Our Government certainly was never brought about to do any of what you speak. It was formed solely for the purpose of running the country. I am interested to see what "rights" you think you have lost...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
If any morons are in this threads consider this...

...ATS T&C's apply at all times. That needs to be seriously considered.

Civility is required, and expected.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think we should ban dictator doctors like that. I need my knife to cut the vegetables, in every country. Can't people take away their license to practice for quack science like that? If I can't buy a knife I'm going to forge one from something, and ride on a horse into their office and drive them from my country.

Next thing, a ban on ovens because they might be hot. What are they doing, making lab rats with some human genes in them, studying how they act around knives, and determining experiments unsuccessful?

Who paid them to be so stupid?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
This is obviously a response to the gun ban in America.
Good job docs looking out for us.

Showing us how absurd it is to ban something because it can be USED BY A PERSON to kill.

Better ban arms because people get choked by them. And socks, shoelaces, pointy shoes, nylons, ball point pens, knitting needles, baseball bats, mirrors, glass windows, doors, chairs, electricity, beer bottles, and cars and planes.... with enough creativity people can be hurt with anything. Even paper. Water. Too much air even. Better ban the metal coils from mattresses too.

This is an insurance scare. Some life insurance company got sick of paying out survivors, preferred to pay a doctor instead. They are bribing a study to avoid responsibility.

It looks like the most dangerous thing in the area are overpaid overeducated doctors.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Thread closed.....article is years and years old.

Last Updated: Thursday, 26 May, 2005, 23:48 GMT 00:48 UK

news.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join