reply to post by gazzachel
First, there are even better stories of insanity:
Let's go down the current list as you really may not know the facts:
1) We border a narco state. After decades and billions we cannot secure our borders and there is Zero political will to do so. Drugs and People flow
into the US like the Mississippi River. Anyone can find illegal dope here, same with weapons. Ban weapons and we the citizens are screwed. You are not
banning anything from the bad guys because they don't care about the law!
2) Your on an Island as the always used examples of Japan, Australia, and New Zealand - we are not as stated in #1.
3) We also have massive, massive gang problems (25,000 gangs nationally - that is gangs not gang members) and they are armed to the teeth violent
thugs. Estimated Number of Gang Members is 750-800 thousand a couple of years ago. 74% of murders in the US is gang related.
For various reasons the total number of gang related homicides appears to be about 11,500; while the total for the rest of us is about 3,000.
Essentially, then; the percentage of gang related homicides in the United States is about 74 percent – and rising as the number of murders among the
general population declines.
For those of an analytical turn of mind, that means the homicide rate among law abiding Americans is about 1.0 to 1.1 per 100,000 population.
4) Criminals will have weapons period, especially here. They do not follow the laws so laws will do nothing except disarm US the law-abiding citizens.
In other words... OPEN SEASON!
5) I heard the idea of "long sentences" or "life sentences" for possession of a firearm. Your own police in the UK are against that because the
criminal has nothing to gain by surrendering (they will go down shooting) and it will cost cops and bystanders lives.
6) Armed populace reduces overall crime period.
25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'
The El Paso Miracle
7) I don't care what people in other countries "want" us to do. We have to live here. I always amazes me WHY the Europeans, Aussies, Chinese, Russians
and other disarmed victim peoples are so interested in disarming the US citizen, why, do you guys plan on relocating here? Hell, why don't we adopt
Mexico's strict gun policy... there are no gun murders or gang violence there at all! Great idea! See how that is working out (and by the way you guys
talk on the boards, aforementioned seem to have a zealousness in their wish to see us disarmed victims in my opinion, as though they can't wait to get
some joy as our crime rates, rape victims, and body counts skyrocket and we cannot fight back), under the boot of criminals and corruption... No thank
you. It is kind of like the "Chamberlain appeasement" where they think it is OK if you are looted, raped, mugged, burglarized, and trodden upon as
long as someone doesn't die get shot and die (usually worried about the criminal !). Here, we would rather chance death than live "safer from death
but trodden upon" like you do. We shoot back. The Brit argument usually is "There is nothing in my house worth taking a human life" (The victim
helpless mentality) while the US reality is "There is nothing in my house worth loosing your life for criminal scum" and if you really want to chance
that by endangering my family you will be met with force.
8) The United States Supreme Court has repeatedly and consistently held police have no constitutional obligation or any other legal obligation to
prevent citizens from being victims of violent crime. This alone speaks volumes... and they are chopping police roles everywhere to boot.
Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
9) We are on our own, if you live here that is obvious unless you are blind or living in fantasy land.
Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union
Alderman to citizens: Arm yourselves now
10) Bottom line, I (and half the country) will consider disarming myself only when the TONS and TONS of illegal drugs and people flowing into the
country is close to zero and it is so safe the police are not armed like soldiers. Until then, I will secure my loved ones and property.
Now, given this REALITY of how it is, would you be protecting your wife and children with a baseball bat or golf club when there is an overwhelming
chance a criminal aggressor will be armed with a firearm??
edit on 27-12-2012 by infolurker because: add content
edit on 27-12-2012 by infolurker because: add