It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors call for a ban on kitchen knives.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

Originally posted by SubTruth
reply to post by gladtobehere

I also wanted to add if they keep pushing like this eventually the Brits are going to grow a pair again.
You can only rub peoples faces in it so far and this is pretty bad. It is like you are all children and your Government is the needy parent.

Think back in time during ww2 and what your grandparents had to endure what do you think they would have said if they tried this crap 70 years ago.
What in the heck happened.

Short answer; Liberalisation of the academic, America your next!

You are 100% right. They get them while they are young and then guess what. They grow up and right laws. In America we are maybe 20-30 years behind the curve. Just take a look at how progressive minded the kids today are.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
reply to post by SubTruth

So what you're saying is that:

- someone british disagreed with you in your thread
- you felt a great pain in your anal region
- you decided to strike back against those dastardly british by posting a news article from 2005, which never amounted to anything, and saying "lol guys look how stupid british people are"
- you did this at 6AM GMT expecting everyone from the UK to be asleep
- you are a terrible person

It was the French thing was it not. I am sorry. You guys are not like the French OK.

Note to self.......... never kid them about the French again.

I edited out the French dig.

edit on 27-12-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Whilst they are at it they should also ban Lightning.

That's right, you heard me, Lightning!

In fact, all forms of electricity, foreign and domestic.

Enough is enough, I demand action.

Pfft...........

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I have only one thing to say to this insanity!

They can have my steak knife when they pry it from my cold, dead, A-1 splattered fingers. And yeah. it is that good.

They really published this... these men have Doctorates of Medicine. Where did they go to school?! University of Simpletons?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Do you understand the scientific method?

The main principles of the scientific method are:
- all research is performed without bias
- all results are concluded upon without bias
- all conclusions are published without bias

If somebody does a study, as a scientist, in to the effect of kitchen knives on violence, they are ethically obligated to publish those findings and base their recommendations solely on those findings, nothing else.

If you funded a research paper in to the effect of oxygen on war on earth, the publishing scientist would be ethically abhorrent if he published anything other than "oxygen is the primary cause of war on earth" (I assume, there hasn't been a study on O2 --> war as far as I know, but based on my preconceptions, that would be the result)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The article was 5 years old and god knows how long the OP has been trolling around looking for this, it clearly didnt come up on any newsfeed recently LOL

But maybe they have a point (no pun intended) they are unecessary, for cooking you wouldnt use the point of a sharp knife you use the blade which is just as effective with a rounded end, maybe even more effective.

I enjoy cooking so I know what Im talking about

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
And none of this is true. They never had the debate on kitchen knives. They used it as a example in propaganda against fighting cigarettes.

www.bmj.com...

Public health cannot be the sole criterion for judging policy in a free society22 March 2011There is something deeply unsettling in the debate about tobacco control. Campaigners and public health advocates show commendable zeal in trying to eliminate the scourge of smoking from our society. But that zeal in pursuit of public health seems to blind them to any other consideration that might temper their policy ideas. That zeal also bleeds into other public health debates where the health issue is less clear cut than it is for tobacco (such as alcohol control). But in a free society there are other issues at stake and public health cannot be the only basis for judging policy. I can't defend smoking on any public health grounds. But it is legal and, in a free society, there are limits as to how far governments should go to coerce people into doing what government wants them to do (even when people want to harm themselves by their actions). A society that forgets that there should be limits on government coercion is, ultimately, Orwellian. Perhaps the best way to see that this is true is to use an Orwell example. In 1984, if I remember correctly, the government is concerned with the health of its citizens. To ensure good health, there is compulsory exercise and compliance is monitored by the state. Few obesity campaigners have advocated this, yet. But we are not far from it if we accept the logic of the anti-smoking lobby. Perhaps we should insist that speed limits are reduced to 30mph on motorways and 10mph in towns to limit road deaths. Or, that kitchen knives should be confiscated to limit stabbings. Or that England should be banned for playing in football tournaments because of the suicidal depression the results cause in fans. I don't know where the limit is for anti-smoking measures. It feels as though not allowing shops to display the goods is pushing things a little far. I'm far more worried about the consequences of campaigners not knowing where to stop. Competing interests: None declared

And all the rest of the post were BS based on this.

Here are the articles about kitchen knives from the source.
www.bmj.com...

Trying to find a way to prevent the killing of innocent children or even firemen is not a joke. It seems some people have forgotten that.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Unfortunately, it seems that Brits only grow a pair when Germans are shooting at them. Fun fact: Argentina is full of German immigrants since the 1880s.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I think I understand studies and methodology just fine. The question isn't how and what at the end. Sometimes, I think the question is a very fair WHY?! ...and who precisely did pay for it? I read the BBC article before replying before though and this is part of what left me almost speechless with shock that we've reached this level of outright total stupidity as people. Anywhere.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

(From OP link)

I mean....really? We're debating the issues of "trusting" full grown adults with the responsibility to safely have a commercial quality knife in their kitchen? Culture.... RADICAL difference in culture. I've got switchblade knives and gravity knives in my safe. One very beautiful one with a long narrow curving stiletto style blade ....just over 12 inches long. It's more like a little sword spring loaded in the handle than a knife. I guess I'd go for life just for owning that there.

If we're down to even joking about what adults can safely be trusted to own ...without hurting themselves or others? I think we're applying Psych ward standards to the general public when maybe we just need to get the violent nut cases out of OUR world and into one of their own ...like a lock down psych ward. Taking peoples knives is so laughably over the top, it's hard to imagine. This is the BBC though, and those are UK Government Officials in full agreement. Oh goodness...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I also wanted to add if they keep pushing like this eventually the Brits are going to grow a pair again.

I think they already banned that a long time ago.

Why do you think the Queen runs the show now.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Kitchen knives are extremely dangerous!

Especially when they have conformed grips and multiple edges.

Ban kitchen assault weapons NOW! We must do it to save our children...and the baby seals
...and the kittens, and puppies, and......ummmm....zucchini !

edit on 26-12-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

well it makes me laugh reading these posts, here in Australia you have to be over 16-18 to buy knives, permanent markers and spray cans from any shop, but the Americans seem to laugh it up, well your time has come because of recent events, things are going to change fast in your country now as they did in mine and the UK, we'll all see if your tough talk about your 2nd amendment means anything in about 6 months

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
This is obviously a response to the gun ban in America.
Good job docs looking out for us.

Showing us how absurd it is to ban something because it can be USED BY A PERSON to kill.

HAHAHAHAHA

"Obviously a response"? Someone didn't even bother to read the source article, which is SEVEN YEARS OLD and is the Doctors Union responding to a spike in knife crime in the capital which was killing about 1 kid a week back then.

If you care to take notice, you will see that not only did the Home Office dismiss this idea back then as silly, but we still have kitchen knives now.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Ahem... Why blame the knife, when it clerly says it's Alcohol and drugs that is the main reason.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

Stupid topic

edit on 27-12-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755
Do our friends in the U.K. really have to justify things like this to their nanny state government? WTF.

Why don't you guys do something about this? For all of our friends in the U.K., do you really want to live like this? Having to justify to the government why you have a good reason to possess a knife?

How about this reason: Because I want to.

Isn't that enough in the U.K.?

So tell me, considering the UK is highly urbanised, why would you want to be in possession of a knife?

If you read what you quoted, it is only an offence if in possession of such a blade without good cause. If you're hunting or otherwise in the country, that is good cause. If you're in the town centre, why would you be carrying?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

And time for the OP, which is obviously an attempt to dig up anything to have a go at the UK without even bothering to read the article properly, follow up it up with any other source or even bothering to check the date..

As I said earlier, this article is 7 years old and was simply the doctors Union mouthing off, as they usually do.

If the doctors had their way, we'd all be in bubble wrap now but thankfully, it isn't the Doctors who make the laws and this was dismissed as daft by the then Labour Government which if anything would have been the most likely to try and control us.

With a Tory Government now, the Doctors would get laughed back to the Golf course by Mrs May and the Home Office....

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Anything sharp or blunt can be sued as a weapon.

I could go outside right now, pick up a rock and bludgeon another person to death.

BAN ROCKS!!!!

It's a shame that the people conducting these studies...actually think they're doing good. What's worse is they probably think they're so smart too! UGH.

Idiocracy is becoming reality...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Stupid topic

There are no stupid topics. Only stupid people.

And most of them live in the UK.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
reply to post by Mianeye

Stupid topic

Let me correct that.
"And most of them live on earth"

Sigh

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
reply to post by Mianeye

Stupid topic

Say's the American....

And they say you guy's don't do irony

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join