It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs in the Heavens: Ray of Light Across Skies of Brazil

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
They are called anticrepuscular rays.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I think this was the result of a natural lens focusing sunlight. The setting sun was at or below the horizon (when you see the sun touch the horizon, it is actually below it and it appears on the horizon because the light has been bent) and the light was coming up under the clouds. The clouds acted as a lens to focus the light on one spot on the earth - resulting in that angled beam of light.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
They are Anticrepusular Rays - a very rare atmospheric phenomena.

Anticrepuscular rays are similar to crepuscular rays, but seen opposite the sun in the sky. Anticrepuscular rays are near-parallel, but appear to converge at the antisolar point because of linear perspective. Anticrepuscular rays are most frequently visible near sunrise or sunset. Crepuscular rays are usually much brighter than anticrepuscular rays. This is because for crepuscular rays, seen on the same side of the sky as the sun, the atmospheric light scattering and making them visible is taking place at small angles

They are the same as Crepuscular rays which:

are rays of sunlight that appear to radiate from a single point in the sky, specifically, where the sun is. These rays, which stream through gaps in clouds (particularly stratocumulus) or between other objects, are columns of sunlit air separated by darker cloud-shadowed regions. The name comes from their frequent occurrences during crepuscular hours (those around dawn and dusk), when the contrasts between light and dark are the most obvious. Crepuscular comes from the Latin word "crepusculum", meaning twilight.[1]

ETA: I see that others here have addressed this query

edit on 27-12-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

Just so people don't get sidetracked without reading the thread.

This has been identified: Anticrepusular Rays - a very rare atmospheric phenomena.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

how is that a sign of heaven if after the atmosphere comes the universe?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

I find these lights similar to the Northern Lights, even though they look much smaller and narrower. But then again, what do we know about the Northern Lights. The below link I am attaching could have an explanation that one day might be deemed wrong as many scientific explanations been revoked before.

www.northernlightscentre.ca...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It could be the sun's reflection off a window, especially if that window is opened out a bit, angling the reflection back up into the sky. That would explain why, unlike the pictures above, the rays dont spread out across a wider part of the sky.
edit on 7/1/2013 by Lucas73 because: punctuation.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucas73
It could be the sun's reflection off a window, especially if that window is opened out a bit, angling the reflection back up into the sky. That would explain why, unlike the pictures above, the rays dont spread out across a wider part of the sky.
edit on 7/1/2013 by Lucas73 because: punctuation.

your joking right? A window?

Sorry i shouldnt be so mean....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join