It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs in the Heavens: Ray of Light Across Skies of Brazil

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
for a good explanation may I suggest beforeitsnews.com and check out the vid by michelle hopkins and her research into this matter...Its quite a mind blower!!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
oh wow thats really awesome i wonder what it is?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WorShip
reply to post by trusername

it's not just you.. i also made this observation... although i'm not prepared to say it ISNT the same phenomena.. It just looks quite different.

It is different,unless the sun's ray's are wrapping themselves around the world to come out opposite side,then this is not from the sun.

he clearly pan the camera to the setting sun which is opposite from the sun,Idon't know wht it is but it isn't anti-crepuscular rays.

did anyone watch the video?the source of the light is coming from a fixed position find out whats out in there to cause such a light source and we'll have an answer.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22

It is different,unless the sun's ray's are wrapping themselves around the world to come out opposite side

The link I posted on page two explains it quite nicely: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

can't explain it, dunno what is that, ??? but i am sure there's gotta be a logical explanation, probablly a weird sunset

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorShip
reply to post by trusername

it's not just you.. i also made this observation... although i'm not prepared to say it ISNT the same phenomena.. It just looks quite different.

I agree. In all the other pics and videos, the rays drift off higher in the atmosphere than the Brazil video. The Brazilian rays seem to come to a fixed point on, or near, the ground. None of the other pics look exactly like this. I'm not to say if it's different or not, but it appears to be to my eyes.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by aspiechick

Originally posted by TWILITE22

It is different,unless the sun's ray's are wrapping themselves around the world to come out opposite side

The link I posted on page two explains it quite nicely: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't agree as there is a point of orgin from where the light is coming from.
it's not just scattered as in the picture you show.
Again I don't know what it is but I don't think it's anti-crepuscular rays

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by unphased

Originally posted by Julie Washington
reply to post by unphased

I think those are called light pillars created by ice crystals in the atmosphere and seen mostly at night.

This is a daytime picture. The only thing I can think of is some sort a light refraction from the sun, but can't wrap my head around how it happens or how it could be so bright.

Are you saying that ice crystals can't form during the day? I didn't only post nighttime photos.

Yes, but would ice crystals that cause this atmospheric effect form in a sub-tropical clime in the summer (day or night)? Because if they require colder weather to form, it wouldn't make sense that they would be forming now in Parana, Brazil at the beginning of their summer.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

That is amazing!! Looks like something has arrived on Earth!!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Just to clarify, is this the blog post you quoted/translated?

It seemed to be the same and it cited the local newspaper "O Paraná":

Here is a snippet of the news article:

Palotina – In a week where the dominating topic is the end of the world, seen by the supersticious as coming to pass this Friday, the 21st of December, any curious situation, especially in the skies, grabs the public's attention and awakens commentary. One of the most recent cases was documented and photographed at nightfall on Monday by Tiago Testa, administrative assistant and resident of Esquina Progresso, in Palotina.

I thought this happened on the 26th, looks like it happened on the 17th.

The natural phenomenon even got the attention of SIMEPAR, interested in the photographic evidence in order to conduct a deeper analysis. The funnel-shaped light was first observed by Tiago's father..

SIMEPAR - is a technological institute linked with the state government of Paraná and their Federal university. They have Doppler radar and handle meteorology for the state itself....interesting to me, as though NOAA had 50 versions here in the US. Wiki art in Portuguese

Many have said that it has to do with sunlight, but that is impossible, because the image appeared at 8:15pm where the sun rises and not where it sets. The light lasted for 10 minutes and then dissipated, according to Tiago Testa's account.

So, 10 min and then it ended, so he stopped taping it.

"Some neighbors also said they had seen this intriguing ray of light."

I realized they put this in quotes, which tells me it is what Mr. Testa told them, and not based on the accounts of his neighbors that they actually went and interviewed.

The ray of light was emitted between the municipalities of Palotina and Francisco Alves.

I couldn't figure out screen capture on this computer, but you can go to google maps and do a driving directions search for A) Francisco Alves - PR, Brazil to B) Palotina - PR, Brazil.

The photo circulated social networks and caused a series of commentary, even relating it to UFOs.

So, could this have been overblown, or maybe a hoax? It was before the 12/21/2012 stuff...after all.
edit on 28-12-2012 by Sphota because: Forgot to add the links....

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
EDIT: I take it back. These appear to be Anticrepuscular Rays.

Therefore, the crepuscular rays from a setting (or rising) sun will appear to re-converge on the other side of the sky. At the anti-solar point 180 degrees around from the Sun, they are referred to as anticrepuscular rays.

Emphasis mine...
edit on 28-12-2012 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
The link you posted to says the rays are coming from the same direction as the sun is setting. This is clearly not the case in the Brazil video.

Eh? Did you read it?

To understand them, start by picturing common crepuscular rays that are seen any time that sunlight pours though scattered clouds. Now although sunlight indeed travels along straight lines, the projections of these lines onto the spherical sky are great circles. Therefore, the crepuscular rays from a setting (or rising) sun will appear to re-converge on the other side of the sky.At the anti-solar point 180 degrees around from the Sun, they are referred to as anticrepuscular rays.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

Sorry, I was correcting my post as you were replying. I admit, I read it really quick and had a feeling I misunderstood. I reread it and found I was dead wrong.

Sorry again. *ashamed*

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I saw basically the same thing about two days ago in Albuquerque NM, it wasn't pyramid shaped like this one but curved like a rainbow but it didn't reach all the way to the ground, like this one either. On the left side of it was the Sun about 1 hour before sunset and all the sudden right before this happened the sun got super super bright and a halo appeared and grew larger and larger and then this anomaly appeared to the right of it. It was so bright you couldn't look into it. I wish I had a camera but didn't. Thanks for posting, nice to know it happened in more than one place, and was amazing that something could illuminate the clouds even brighter than the sun itself, while the clouds around it were just like the ones the OP shows us, dark and barely lit up.

awesome

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

So, it could be a hoax because it was filmed before December 21, 2012 and so it could be associated with the 2012 apocalypse hoopla?

Strange that he filmed this on the 17th, and then waited till the 26th to upload to YouTube and send it to the media...

I guess he's one of those slacker hoaxers, always showing up late to the party... The ol' chucklehead doesn't seem to realize that it doesn't matter how well thought out and carefully crafted your hoax is, if you blow the timing of the reveal! :l SMH FACEPALM

He must've been using the Mayan calendar from the LAST baktun... When the 21st of Dec fell on a Wednesday, rather than the precious Friday... Yep, that must've been it.

Either way, we WILL find a way to make this a hoax!! Why? Because that's what we do!

Haha... That was fun, pretending to be a closed minded skeptic whose thought process matches up rather closely with that of a religious zealot!

I might have to do this again sometime. You know, just for fun... Or maybe, every once in a while, to make a point... Nah, what am I saying? That's crazytalk...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Interesting find and thanks for posting it..I thought it was simply unusual and beautiful..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

No, This is the blog post I got it from as linked in the OP.

Source

If you go back to the OP and re-read you will see it says this occured on December 17th. It has no connection to Dec 21st...not sure where you got that from.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Somewhat similar footage from a different location:

YouTube: Strange light rays (turn volume down)

Actually, this one looks more like the anticrepuscular phenomena compared to the pictures/video from the OP.

edit on 29-12-2012 by fusse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
reply to post by Sphota

No, This is the blog post I got it from as linked in the OP.

Source

If you go back to the OP and re-read you will see it says this occured on December 17th. It has no connection to Dec 21st...not sure where you got that from.

The blog I cited above is the original in Portuguese. I can tell because of the translation, it's worded identically with predictable googlese.

The original blog post said they got the info from the newspaper also cited above. The newspaper mentioned the whole 2012 tie-in, I guess I was the one who first assumed it meant just this last week instead of the 17th. I suppose it could be a case of light-handed journalism, even being a reputable state paper, they probably saw it more as a fluff piece because of the upcoming 21st.

That's unfortunate in a way, because they just mentioned the local weather institute, rather than getting their input, which one could reasonably assume would have supported the anticrepuscular rays.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I wonder if this is a lens effect of the upper atmosphere. It's concentrating a narrow beam of light across the curvature of the Earth and seeming to terminate near the horizon (clouds are darker there indicating high moisture content) and the luminosity is due to the ice crystals?

But damn IT"S AWESOME!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join