It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAN HACKING VIA WIRELESS OR BLUETOOTH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Hi have just bought windows seven ASUS computer.
I used to use an old vista based one.
Whilst on a sports betting site ,no script (a firefox add on) asked me if I wanted this recent device to be accepted automatically as part of my LAN network.
I do not know what device they are referring to so I immediately turned the computer off via the hot button.
But before that I checked my wireless connections icon and there was and is another wifi broadcasting within range of my home.
Also bluetooth I believe works within 80 metres or so.
I have a portable wi/fi that would show up in others computer icon trays.
Is it possible for a knowledgeable criminal to somehow bypass all my settings ie Public Place, share no files, ect via bluetooth or wireless?

I do not know 100% even how to turn bluetooth off on windows 7.

In vista it was easy.
I have disabled the bluetooth support service option.
I find it odd how hard it is (even after asking on the web) to find info on turning my bluetooth off.
The manual for my ASus computer says you do it via the windows software settinfs .
I am very afraid someone nearby is hacking into my computer via either wireless or bluetooth.
I need wireless to be on to connect to my wifi portable internet device, but for no other reason.
The bluetooth I want off, but its very hard to know how to do it.
Any help on all matters above would be appreciated.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionsWitness

There are little programs you can download that will automatically enter tons of different possible passwords and can eventually crack certain encryption. I'm not an expert, hopefully somebody else can help us out.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
hit Start-Network Places-Properties

Find your bluetooth device left click disable

To answer your other question, Yes a good hacker can!
I suggest a good password for your Bluetooth device!

The other device you saw is most likely another "hot spot" either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
edit on 26-12-2012 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Make sure your Router is using WPA security. It'll be one of the options pre-set to choose from if you hadn't already set that when you got your internet working. If you're WPA, you're safe enough. That is, someone able to crack that will get through anything else you could have at consumer level ....and it takes real serious reasons for someone at that skill level to focus on you.

Sorry if you've set all that up and I know it sounds obvious....but I've got several other routers within range of my set up I can see too. Neighboring houses....and if I wasn't ethical .... one doesn't have sec active and another is WEP. My kid could break WEP security with a program and 30 minutes.. It isn't always config'ed right or resets sometimes.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Just make sure you have a secure router. If someone wants to hack into your wireless then it's just gonna happen if they are good enough. But even the password finders take hours to crack.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Unless you've got some kind of bluetooth amplifier, I believe the normal typical range for most bluetooth devices to be more like 10-16 meters (30 to 50 feet),

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I have one of those wi fi devices sold in Australia for wireless broadband that has the secvurity key inside my wifi device....just in case after this incident I made sure no one could enter my home and slide back the cover and write down the code.
But I really think someone isn't inteersted in my internet just to tag onto my LAN network which should not even exist.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Sorry but it is further than that, I bought my partner a bluetooth device for her car for xmas a top of th erange ...and it works at least thirty metres.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
hit Start-Network Places-Properties

Find your bluetooth device left click disable

To answer your other question, Yes a good hacker can!
I suggest a good password for your Bluetooth device!

The other device you saw is most likely another "hot spot" either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
edit on 26-12-2012 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

Can you give me more detailed info on this ?
I cannot find the start position even,,remember Iam new to 7.
My old Asus alllowed me to switch off via mechanical switches as well as buttons.
Windows 7 and this ASUS computer just says go to windows settings.
I know I sound ignorant , but I couldn't find the solution on the net.
And it is odd as I have said, why its even 10 % obtuse to achieve.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

HIt the start button (the round windows icon in bottom left corner)

HIt control panel

Top right corner does it say ''view by'' ? if it does change it to SMALL icons (its easier)

in control panel click on network and sharing centre

click on change adapter settings (top left)

Right click on blue tooth, click disable.

bobs your uncle, snip snip bobs your auntie!

edit on 27-12-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Thanks for that and thanks for going to the trouble the LAN adapter is off .
But bluetooth isn't mentioned at all, I use windows seven home premium.
or is LAN adaptor the same as bluetooth?

edit on 27-12-2012 by OrionsWitness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the info!

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Nope LAN adapter is your network card (blue cable/network cable) keep that enabled.

If you dont see bluetooth in there, its either disabled in the bios or you dont have bluetooth. Are you sure this PC/Laptop has bluetooth? bluetooth is a little outdated and is mainly used for older keyboards/mouse (and sometimes phones)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Thanks for the pointer it may not have, but in the manual it says it does.
The confusion I have is the indicator light comes on if my wireless console is on for my wifi connection, but the manual says it will also be on (the same indicator for bluetooth).
I will do a bit more digging , and thanks again to all who helped.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
if it is win 7 press start type "services" in the search box at the bottom, right click the two little cogs and select "run as administrator".

the Bluetooth service can be disabled by highlighting it you will find it 11th in that list,..
then right clicking it and selecting "properties", look for a drop down box it is probably showing the word "manual" at the moment, click it and then select "disabled", then apply it, and reboot your machine.
Bluetooth is now completely disabled, just restart the service if you ever need it again.

Also go to device manager and make sure it is turned off, maybe consider uninstalling it if you are never going to use it.
edit on 27-12-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
They use a program to brute force your pass word.
so the best thing is to have a pass word that is VERY long.
and hide it in a text file. so you just copy and paste it.
thats the WIFI pass word.

you can use a program that lets you log on
bt useing the usb drive to add the pass word.
just have it pluged in when you log on.
so you can use a BIG pass word to start your computer.
can not remember the name?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Thanks to all who helped me ...a new windows 7 user.
I have now got resource manager pinned to my taskbar, and using aero peek can instantly see if there is any LAN activity.
So thanks to all.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrionsWitness
Thanks to all who helped me ...a new windows 7 user.
I have now got resource manager pinned to my taskbar, and using aero peek can instantly see if there is any LAN activity.
So thanks to all.

Just remember, no matter what you do your computer can all ways be hacked.
Im no expert but im told any thing can be hacked.
Their are allot of programs out their that are made to crack complicated security.
Far more complicated then what windows has to offer. If you have sensitive information on your computer I would take it off.

top topics

join