It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus spent 40 days in the Desert. I only spent 21, but here's what began to happen;

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Please show me where I said anything about "Chi".

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Go in peace, brother. Your path is not my path.

The first time I tried to cross the land of the dead, I was 10. My Ka was older than I was. I had no idea where or what I was and I was afraid. The second time I journeyed there I was 19, and my Ka was the same as he was the first time. It was then I realized that he was me, and I reveled in the duality of it. He and I went down into "Last Chance" and played Russian Roulette with Chinese Bullfighters until we finally won. We celebrated for years, and -- still -- I couldn't make the crossing. I was too in love with my self.

The next time I found myself in the wilderness, I was 26. I observed the parade of infinities and took note of their permutations, but I didn't try to cross. Instead -- I sat down and breathed it all in. The universe is old, you know, and impossibly dusty and full of old trails. I didn't follow any, and my Ka mocked me for my reluctance. After a very long time, I realized he was gone, and what remained was a sense that my double had always been part of my ego, and nothing more. Eventually -- I got up and made my way back down the path to my life.

I go there often now. It's not just the place of the little death anymore. It's more the space between them. But even that doesn't do the concept justice, and why should it? I am a finite creature, in a physical body, and my words are just the baggage I am always trying to sneak into the overhead compartment. The thing is: there is no journey. An earlier poster told the OP that the next time he goes, it will be easy to get back to where he left off the time before. There is wisdom in that, but even it is just a fractured part of a broken hologram. Eventually -- he'll move beyond where he left off, and transcend the wilderness entirely. Even then, he can always come back here and tell us about his adventures, because the real part has long since moved beyond the trying and the telling. Where do you think ideas come from?

The distance is dreaming. We are already there right now.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I wonder if the Aboriginies still practice this as a rite of passage? Isn't this what they call "walkabout"? (Any Australians care to chip in?)

Some Native American cultures also do this kind of thing. Vision quests or what have you. (Some tribes will also speed along the self-disassociation and visions with some various plants or fungi, but we're not allowed to talk about that here. Anyhow those aren't really necessary in the long run.)

I think I've heard a few other stories on doing this, and there's definitely more than one perspective on it. Left out to nature with no other distractions is definitely a way to get in touch with your psyche that is difficult otherwise. Not everyone can take it though. Some get desparate to rush back to society, and others go full in on the deep end and end up living as a hermit.

I'm sorta interested in this (getting the heck away from it all), but unfortunately I'm tied down in too many ways to try it at this moment.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by deometer

Please show me where I said anything about "Chi".

You didn't. But it is a term connected to what you speak of. Any method of internal discovery which is based upon concepts that align with the idea that a person must tap in to a root source that is governed by something other than the person themselves is of the same cloth.

In reality...we are the sum of our parts and anything greater than that sum means we are using a connection to another source.

Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

You have basically just said what I am trying to get across. Each persons path is what they make it. The path is a construct of what each persons mind makes it and each is different.

In essence...we are what we make ourselves.

Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I fasted for a month, for religious reasons.

I would get up before sunrise, having something to eat that would sustain me throughout the day (just) and then make my intention to fast for the whole day until sunset - this year the hours were 12+.

No intake of food or water during the fasting period.

The first few days my ego was crying, I was feeling beaten but it's amazing how well the body adapts, within a week I had adjusted half way through the second week I had adapted and carried on as normal.

Sure physical energy levels were lower but my mental clarity was through the roof, I felt more in control with my thoughts and my desires were all but diminished.

Best bit is the fact that your organs take a break for four weeks in a year, allowing them to detox and regenerate.

Coming out of fasting I have found I am much more aware of what I eat, how I eat it and how often, but also I have been trying to push the idea of getting more efficient with less i.e. the small amount of food I do take in I train my body to make the most of it.

I have found when I am slightly hungry I have better clarity of thought and physical calmness where as when I have been eating regularly I feel a little lethargic mentally (and physically).

As a test I also trained 30 minutes prior to open my fast once or twice a week and the results were amazing. To my surprise I was able to complete my session, albeit on reduced weights and intensity but my strength levels were pretty stable and I was still able to push 120+ KG bench presses and 200+ KG deadlifts.

So the body is an amazing machine, provided we give it the credit it deserves and allow our bodies to become metabolic efficient through regular fasting (to control our weight and blood sugar levels), we can remain very healthy and active.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by deometer

When I get a chance I will check out the lecture.

I am familiar with various forms of meditation and Martial Arts. In an example I have posted before...different practitioners of several forms of Martial Arts were brought together to demonstrate the use of focused CHI. There was a Human Form torso with sensors placed upon it and Masters of Karate, Kung Fu, Boxing, Tae Kwon Do...etc...all took turns striking this torso to see which practice generated the greatest blow.

In the end...it was not the Masters of multiple thousands of years of Zen based teachings of Asian based Martial Arts that created the greatest concentrated blow but rather the practitioners of Boxing which use Mass times Acceleration equals Force as the goal rather than meditation to release Chi.

It is in a studies ability to have practical applications based upon real life physical laws that have the most value.

Split Infinity

This made my day. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Just to clarify...

edit on Thu Dec 27 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by old_god

You can't say you were Fasting for a Month if you ate after sunset.

Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hahahaha quite a stud and I absolutely agree, why make a thread if your not going to add input? Doesn't make a shred of sense to me, but maybe he's coming down from cloud 9....

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

So you hallucinated do to lack of nutrition. Makes sense.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
many thanx OP for sharing this; its amazing how we take as normal all the noise we make.

a few notes from nisigadarta; especially for those who would emulate your experience, "if only they---"--------

what attracts you, holds you back

dont start anything new

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

If you don't like it - you don't have to reply. No need to poke fun at the OP.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Originally posted by dominicus
All that to say, that there is something to, letting go of the bias bubbles we've all created by being wrapped up in the necessities of catering to society and our own ego's. By tempering that, with going into solitude, into the wild for a set amount of time, that bias bubble pops, and for that set amount of time, you find certain things about yourself, nature, Love, life, existence, that you would not otherwise find, things that remain with you for the rest of your life, things that the majority of people may not be aware of, but are most definitely there.

Excellent post and even more so to the adventure itself.
You are a much better person for doing so, and it shows.
Imagine if everyone was mandated to do so, what we could change over night!
Instead we rely on feeding our own ego's according to some contrived rules.

This is one of my favorite reads at the moment.
I definitely agree with the message and meaning.

We all need to unplug from this "society" because it is ruining our souls.

imagine the level of quality/spiritual maturity our politicians would aquire if 21 day fasts/solitude was mandatory before taking up office.
how differently and honestly might we be governed.
perhaps something like the aforementioned may come into society when the current age finally terminates.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by orangutang

It is obvious and well known that the reason people used to Fast was so that the lack of Food and Water over a period of time would cause a person to Hallucinate and thus think they had experienced a being in communication with GOD.

The same thing has been done for Eons by people seeking a Religious Experience whether it be lack of food and water or ingestion of Narcotic or Hallucinogenic Plants.

The idea for elected officials to fast in order to do the right thing is....well...CRAZY.

Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

That's great experience! Hoepfully you would be publishing a full blog of your experiences online or something!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

Who's poking fun? I'm giving him a realistic answer for why he 'thinks he's jesus', to this point a lack of nutrition seems to be why he was seeing what he was seeing. Any credible doctor would tell you the same, you call it 'poking fun' I call it a reality check.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
jesus faced the devil and what did you face?
I see by the flags I'll be the naysayer here, but I've been in the arizona desert for over 2 years- completely off-grid and learning survival all the while. I also took care of a stray dog the whole time, grew plants (yes- in the desert) and somehow fed myself, without a job, income, or disability. I have a 4-year degree in buddhism too.
good for you that you experienced what you did, but if you think you're done (comparing yourself to jesus and even I don't do that- did I mention by bday is christmas week?) but you've got a ways to go, son. And good luck cause you're gonna need it.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

Kind of confrontational for a Buddhist are we not?

Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to [url= by IandEye[/url]

Kind of confrontational for a Buddhist are we not?

Split Infinity

I am in no way responsible for your expectations

2nd

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join