My Biggest Fear

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hi ATS. As i've recently celebrated my 8th anniversary with AboveTopSecret.com, I began to think of the things i've learned over the many years. In that span of time, i've learned a lot, and my opinions and ideas have shifted dramatically with the new information that wonderful users like you post. I've gone from someone who was quite skeptical about everything from OOPART to ancient aliens to believing gray aliens were humans from the future to wondering how the bermuda triangle worked to who jack the ripper was and even things such as whether or not bigfoot and the loch ness monster exist.

Throughout this change i've noticed some things about myself. I'm wiser, and I can pick apart new things i find easier. And the number one thing i learned was how my fears have changed. Essentially I'm only afraid of TWO things.

1. Sharks. They look so cool but i'm terrified of them. Nuff said.

2. We're alone in the universe.

Math tells us that we're probably not alone in the universe. That statistically speaking, many other planets in the abyss we call space are inhabited by life, and probably life just as smart as us. It took us 4 billion years to reach our current level of intelligence. Along that 4 billion year path there have been a few steps back, but obviously none to far back to prevent our development.

But what if out of those hundreds of billions of planets there is no other life. What if life is just a total scientific anomaly? What if nothing in the history of time has ever happened to create life on another planet? Or what if life was created but died off far before speciation could occur?

I'm not really looking for answers, just sharing my thoughts on my biggest fear- that life might actually be a fluke and when you look up at the sky, nobody is looking back. It makes me feel so empty.

Happy holidays to all

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

There are only two possibilities we are either alone or not, both are equally terrorfying, and reassuring in equal measure.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

what if out of those hundreds of billions of planets there is no other life.

If that were true id feel extremely special lol

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

All fear comes from thoughts.

Be aware of your own thoughts and your fear will dissipate.

Why is it important for you to let other people know your fears?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Schmidt, congrats on your 8-year ATS anniversary. 'Can't do anything about the sharks -- sorry. I live in Northern California, and I never, ever go in the water at the coast. But, please consider this for your #2 fear: you're not alone now. With all the thoughtful posts, wisdom, arguments, caring replies, fully fledged trolling and general craziness that you've experienced from your fellow ATS members in the last 8 years, at least you've known that you're not by yourself. If Nature repeats itself, then chances are, you'll eventually realize or experience the same thing on a grander scale.

'See you in the cosmos, someday, in a time and place far, far away. Are you up for a beer and a laugh over your post and this reply?

edit on 12/26.2012 by graceunderpressure because: Post edited by the Department of Redundancy Department

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure

what if out of those hundreds of billions of planets there is no other life.

If that were true id feel extremely special lol

Really? I look at it from the viewpoint that once we become extinct, no one will ever know we existed, because there's no one to even look for us. We popped into life and will pop out again for no rhyme or reason. I find this really REALLY sad.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

If everything was made just for THIS, then think that through all the way... and ponder the miracle of it, and be grateful. I don't see how it would be a "problem" if the whole of all creation was to bring about the evolutionary process we experience right here on earth. Wouldn't that be an absolute marvel in and of itself?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You're assuming that the space time continuum and the zero point field has no memory, and that's a big assumption when we consider the whole breadth and depth of the entire cosmic evolutionary process..

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yup i understand where you're coming from & it is sad that's why if it were true id rather cherish the moment of being granted a life to live.

But on the other hand i do think there is life on other planets, It could be possible that us humans on planet earth did not come from any religion but from a fleet of humans from another planet that was destroyed long ago thus we being the survives & the rest of the fleet of humans taking off in their spaceship somewhere

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

Special and very very sad, not because we would be alone but because we where the top achievement of life in terms of intellect and the capacity to admire all creation...

edit on 26-12-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by jiggerj

You're assuming that the space time continuum and the zero point field has no memory, and that's a big assumption when we consider the whole breadth and depth of the entire cosmic evolutionary process..

Doesn't the entire cosmic evolutionary process end with a Big Rip that will tear everything to dust?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure
reply to post by jiggerj

But on the other hand i do think there is life on other planets,

I also "think" that there's life out there, but I'll never put myself into a position where I would need to defend this position. Because the truth is, we just don't know.

What bothers me about the Drake equation is that it is based on one planet having intelligent life. Why does one of anything imply two of anything, or fifty-thousand of anything? Why can't one just mean one?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
1. Sharks. They look so cool but i'm terrified of them. Nuff said.
You have good protection against them: don't enter the water.

2. We're alone in the universe.
I don't understand what's there to fear if we are alone in the universe. Monotony and boredom I understand, fear I do not.

PS: congratulations on the 8th anniversary, fellow "class of 2004" member.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
My fear is we don't work out a way to get FTL travel and are restricted to sub light speeds forever. People talk about Alcubierre drive but honestly, even with the revised math it would still require many times the power of the most powerful nuclear bombs detonated here on Earth.

With that said, NASA works at such a painfully slow pace (A scouting mission to Europa MIGHT happen in the 2020s apparently and after that PERHAPS a mission to drill down into the ice in search for life. (They should go to Enceladus)) that it would take more time for NASA to finally start up a mission then it took to make the warp engine in the first place.

Yeah...I really worry that we're going no where fast.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I fear the Voyager touching the sides............ it's close now, thought it was going to happen on the 21st dec, i've never believed in all that other hoo haa....just, dont let it touch the sides.

Truman Show: remember when his boat hit the sides? his world ended as he knew it.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I'm more scared of the thought that we are NOT alone in the universe, and that aliens may arrive here and exterminate or enslave us.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

IF they do exist let us hope they are nothing like us or have moved beyond petty indifferences .

Because if they are like us, I fear, we may have much to be afraid of ...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
I'm more scared of the thought that we are NOT alone in the universe, and that aliens may arrive here and exterminate or enslave us.
That seems to be the more rational fear rather than the fear of no other intelligent life.

One thought to ponder is that if the big bang theory is correct, there was no intelligent life when the universe began. One consequence of this, is that some place had to be first to develop intelligent life. Even if that was our planet, this doesn't preclude the possibility of intelligent life developing elsewhere, later. Life such as ours won't develop in a first-generation star system...because it wouldn't have the needed heavier elements. If a 2nd or 3rd generation star system with supernova remnants is a prerequisite for intelligent life, then such life may not have developed early in the universe.

The Fermi paradox does seem to have some validity.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Actually...we do know. Just not all of us.

Split Infinity

top topics

join