It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

December 28, 2012 - Watch The News!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by cartesia

Why is it irrelevant? I understand that they went off of celestial events, but if that's the case then why have number date prophecies? Why not just say the next winter/summer solstice?

Do some research to understand why. It's all over the internet, just as much as the hoaxes related to the calendar are.
The difference is the facts start with scientists or linguists explaining results, others will tell a grand story of the end of times.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by resoe26
"There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28, 2013.

Where does the Mayan long count measure years?

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year…. so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago."

The Mayan long count did not account for any year. The calendar is measured in days which makes leap years irrelevant. The only years that are relevant from our understanding are 3114 b.c (the start of the calendar) and 2012 (the end of the calendar).
edit on 27-12-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

yup. then it just restarts to the next Baktun.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Well yeah
obviously 2012 is the start of the calendar again

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Well yeah
obviously 2012 is the start of the calendar again

Well happy New Baktun, and Happy New Years (put that in your pocket and save it until the 1st)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
*Scrolls quickly through 4 pages*

*finds no links to sources on any of them*

*leaves thread*

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tremex

Originally posted by sconner755
reply to post by tremex

Please give me three reasons why anybody should care about anything the Mayans did.

Or even one reason.

Why are the Mayans so special?

Why are the Mayans so special? Well, for the obvious reason: The greatest catastrophe known to mankind took place in a region where is now the Yucatan peninsula, which was the home to the Mayans. If someone predicts that a world-ending catastrophe takes place in 2012, then the Mayans must be involved, no? If you have a problem with plumbing in your house, you call a pest control service?
edit on 26-12-2012 by tremex because: (no reason given)

The problem with Mayan threads is you never really know where sarcasm and begins and seriousness ends. Sadly, it becomes a very thin, thin line....

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tremex
Mayans have cast a bad spell on the progeny of invaders from Europe who helped to devastate their empire. How does the spell work? It's written in the Long Count. Mayans learned about the superstition involving the unlucky and lucky numbers; that is, 13 and 7. Since the new Baktun Cycle started a week ago, December 28, 2012 is recorded in Mayan Long Count calendar, as

And so the Mayan priests cast a spell on that day. What spell? No one really knows - there is nothing much left from the whole pictogram. That's is of course a problem, because, according to the Mayan belief, if the stone a spell is carved into is broken, the spell is broken as well. It appears from what is left that the spell involves a fate of leaders, like presidents, because one fragment of the pictogram shows a king.
edit on 26-12-2012 by tremex because: (no reason given)

Do ya blame them? Not that I believe in spells and superstition mind you, but if I did, I'd put a spell on someone who devastated my empire too!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

reply to post by tremex

Maybe the prophecy had it wrong and it was the death of a former President.... HW Bush is in bad ICU right now...

Supposed to be a curse.

Elderly ex-leaders all over the world die all the time.

The only things I can find about a curse are all fictional works.
edit on 27-12-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I predict that on the 29th, there will be a flood of new posts proposing a new dates for everyone to panic about...

The facts are simple..... The only thing the ancient Mayans predicted was that at some point in their future, they would have to carve another calendar...

Sooner or later, mother nature is going to go a little postal - like she does from time to time - and some poor sap is going to start posting all sorts of references that clearly pointed to the event. This will be followed closely by another bunch of people who will have a collective brain fart and calculate that the square root of the hippopotamus, divided by the distance between the sum of all fears is equal to the sum of their collective IQ's. The answer will then be presented in inches and newton meter of torque...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I only news I have for you guys on the 28th is that it's my birthday!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
they found an older Mayan calendar which spans over 7,000 years of time, stretching far beyond our present age way back, debunking the 2012 calendar

edit on 06/-06004/2011 by sitchin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by tremex

In western culture seven and thirteen are considered lucky and unlucky. Any evidence that the Maya considered these two numbers the same way?

They didn't but learned about the superstition from the Spaniards via "El Requerimiento" which was a declaration issued in the 13 year of the sixteenth century and had a very unlucky consequence for the Meso-Americans.

The Spanish Requirement of 1513 ("El Requerimiento") was a declaration by the Spanish monarchy of its divinely ordained right to take possession of the territories of the New World and to subjugate, exploit and, when necessary, to fight the native inhabitants. The Requirement was read in Spanish to Native Americans to inform them of Spain’s rights to conquest. Those who subsequently resisted conquest were considered to harbor evil intentions. The Spaniards thus considered those who resisted as defying God’s plan, and so used Catholic theology to justify their conquest.

src: Wikipedia

Since we enter the 13 year of the new millennium shortly and the Mayan period of the 13 Baktun has already began, this year would be double unlucky. But some scholars argue that unlucky plus unlucky yealds lucky, according to the law that governs over double opposites.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
These "Mayans" don't exactly have a stellar track record.
Might be a good idea to get a second opinion.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by tremex

OP.. You have under 60 posts and youre now telling us about what we are qualified to comment on?

I never mentioned anything about "qualification." So how many posts I need to accumulate before I would be permitted to lie the way you do? 60?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Where do you get the idea it has to do with a leader? A picture of a King? Where?

Where is the evidence in your Op, Op?

And where is the evidence for the whole 2012 doomsday prediction? Why would ATS set aside a special forum for that topic? Did you ever ask? Apparently not.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Weren't some people spouting off that there will be a nuclear bomb dropped in the USA (Phoenix, I think) on this date?

Found it!
edit on 27-12-2012 by superman2012 because: adding link

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

reply to post by tremex

A year is 365.25 days long, Mayans practiced 365 day years so over time ALL their prophecies would be WAY off, right?

Time-based predictions are not reviewed and adjusted by the Nature - it doesn't have a mind. So I guess that 13.0.0.0.7 Long Count = December 28, 2012 Gregorian.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
I only news I have for you guys on the 28th is that it's my birthday!

Happy Birthday Stan Lee!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

reply to post by tremex

Maybe the prophecy had it wrong and it was the death of a former President.... HW Bush is in bad ICU right now...

WAS?
I think that the former prez is still alive...
You know, if he happens to expire on that December 28 day, then there would be a problem. He was an American president and not European president. The bad spell cast by the Northern Mayans very likely referred to the Spaniards, perhaps it involved the whole Europe. But as I said in OP, the stone was broken with good part of it missing. So the bad spell is like a rocket that goes out of control: it can hit an unintended target.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tremex

One can see you are new here. Now that you have over 40 (FORTY) posts, we can take them as such. One who has 44. Obviously, insulting is your thing. And lying to one who doesnt lie.

We are suspicious of any all caps, exclamation points and the words like "PROVEN"..."FACT".."MUST SEE"..."HERE WE GO GUYS"...etc. Dont assume we share your opinions yet. Give us a chance.

Im not alone I see in my "opinion". Or you havent read the responses to you, so you just dont get "our" points here from a majority of members. Nothing happened on the 21st, and no need to watch tomorrow. Please use the search function 1st, and we welcome you on meaningful topics and your posts.

We are attempting to educate you in what has been done and overdone. Your insults imply you are not ready to
take anything from anyone here...and we have enough Mayan info on site to search that provides answers to your "excited" thread. (Exclamation points).

PS Dont be so angry and defensive. It minimalizes any importance and seriousness of any of your authored threads and posts.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join