It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

December 28, 2012 - Watch The News!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
If December 21st, 2012 was a dead horse, why should I believe anything will happen on the 28th? Doesn't make sense why you believe we would believe you, unless you're just trolling, which I think is the most realistic thought-form atm.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tremex

You're flattering me (I think
). But there really isn't anything to comment on.
It was merely a polite way of saying the story was, for obvious reasons, such utter BS that it was not worth commenting on.
(So why did I comment? Good question!
Because historical inaccuracies always get to me. In that sense, I have no sense of humour whatsoever.
)

What are those obvious reasons?
Well, where and what exactly is the material the OP is referring to?
Has it only been discovered and promptly interpreted in the past three days?
By whom was it interpreted? By the same people who interpreted December 21?

Who identified it as a "spell" or curse or whatever - and whom would they be cursing, considering those pesky European invaders only came half a millenium after the downfall of their civilisation?

And that's just the most basic questions.

I think someone is simply bored to death due to the anticlimax of the recent non-event, and refuses to let the story go.

P.S. Oh, I see you ARE the OP! So sorry about that.
(See what sleepiness does to me?
)

Anyway, I trust you're not offended, because it was never meant as an ad hominem towards you. Not at all.

edit on 26-12-2012 by Vanitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Isn't this at least the 4 revision to the 'mayan date' and doom. May be it is time to let it go and admit it was taken for something that it isn't.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by sconner755

Is that a fair question? I think so.

I think so, too.

However, it is unanswerable, because we simply don't know whether they predicted it or not.

The question whether the Mayans predicted or not predicted their own demise IS answerable. If they did predict their end, their Long Count calendar would reflect upon it - it would simply end in the expected or predicted cyclical period. But it didn't and it goes on to our times and beyond.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Isn't this at least the 4 revision to the 'mayan date' and doom. May be it is time to let it go and admit it was taken for something that it isn't.

No, it's not. The OP doesn't predict any doomsday.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The Mayans were only off by 33 seconds on most of the moonrise and moonsets even to this day

That's about all I know that they were right in predicting.

And the Wii. I think they predicted the sensor based game craze. Spoooky.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tremex

That is a good point.
However, if the Maya calendar really is "galactically" oriented, as it is claimed to be, rather than reflecting merely local goings-on, that could explain it.

Also, the collapse of the so-called classic era civilisation is not tantamount to the physical demise of the entire people; and of course, ethnically they did survive to this day.

(N.B Note the addendum to my previous post.)

edit on 26-12-2012 by Vanitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalCountdown
I'm filing a class action suite against certain networks and websites that overplayed (in my lawyer's opinion) 2012, end of the world shows.

I'm suing for loss of time over the past 3.5 years due to obsessive internet posting and blogging, carried out to "therapeutically" deal with 2012, end of the works stress.

We expect to settle with $1,500,000.00. Which is what I could have created had I been mentally free to proceed without the stress of world destruction looming in the distance.

If you know of anyone that lost time and money due to obsessing with the end of the world, we are looking to add plaintiffs to this case. The bigger the collective dollar amount the harder we hit them.

Add me

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tremex

Yawn............................................Night, night

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Another day and another doomsday date, I can't wait for 2013 to ring in then we will see tons more of them I am sure. And just because its the year 2013.

Lets guess tomorrow another one will pop up and another one the next day, and another the one the next day. I wonder how long this is going to take? Maybe until the next Mayan calendar runs out?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntC
Another day and another doomsday date, I can't wait for 2013 to ring in then we will see tons more of them I am sure. And just because its the year 2013.

As I already said in a one of the previous posts, the OP doesn't mention any doomsday. Now it's becoming apparent that the end-of-the-world, low IQ hoopla was nurished mostly by the folks who have a hard time to comprehend the meaning of a given text. That's why the debunking of the event couldn't be effective - the common sense arguments stated against the predicted event coming true were not understood the same way the meaning of the OP si not sometimes understood.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755
reply to post by tremex

Please give me three reasons why anybody should care about anything the Mayans did.

Or even one reason.

Why are the Mayans so special?

All the human sacrifices they did...

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
reply to post by tremex

Who identified it as a "spell" or curse or whatever - and whom would they be cursing, considering those pesky European invaders only came half a millenium after the downfall of their civilisation?

And that's just the most basic questions.

I think someone is simply bored to death due to the anticlimax of the recent non-event, and refuses to let the story go.

P.S. Oh, I see you ARE the OP! So sorry about that.
(See what sleepiness does to me?
)

Anyway, I trust you're not offended, because it was never meant as an ad hominem towards you. Not at all.

Why would I be? The OP raises some questions that I would ask too. How legitimate the story is, for example?

As far as the word "empire" is concerned, I didn't mean the time of the classical Mayan period. The Mayans themselves didn't perceive their history as such and continued to fight for the last square foot of their land. ("1528 - The Spanish under Francisco de Montejo begin their conquest of the northern Maya. The Maya fight back with surprising vigour, keeping the Spanish at bay for several years.") The fragment with the alleged curse probably comes from around that time.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I'm filing a class action suite against certain networks and websites that overplayed (in my lawyer's opinion) 2012, end of the world shows.

I'm suing for loss of time over the past 3.5 years due to obsessive internet posting and blogging, carried out to "therapeutically" deal with 2012, end of the works stress.

We expect to settle with $1,500,000.00. Which is what I could have created had I been mentally free to proceed without the stress of world destruction looming in the distance.

If you know of anyone that lost time and money due to obsessing with the end of the world, we are looking to add plaintiffs to this case. The bigger the collective dollar amount the harder we hit them.

Thats awesome...I think I should get a piece of that pie for sure!!!
Ohhh crap, here I am AGAIN wasting that time...hmmm
Oh well, I guess thats why I pay my cable bill, for the entertainment.
X

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by unphased

You are referring to the descendants, not the civilization. The civilization was long gone before the arrival of the Europeans.

It is normal to get the meaning of words a bit vague at times.

The long count fell into disuse before the civilization failed. There were at least 7 calendars that covered different purposes.
edit on 27-12-2012 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tremex

In western culture seven and thirteen are considered lucky and unlucky. Any evidence that the Maya considered these two numbers the same way?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Well, Dec 28 is when my sick note runs out.
Other than that, I'm expecting an average kinda day.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Hang on... Am I reading this right? You are claiming that screwing about posting on the net was because of the 21st?? Now that you're not dead you sort out the legalities to sue websites for 1.5 million? (over XMAS no less)!

.. I... nevermind....

edit on 27-12-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tremex

OP.. You have under 60 posts and youre now telling us about what we are qualified to comment on?

ATS is a great place. But you earn your reputation....and this a is ridiculous way to do so. We are "on" to all the Mayan nonsense.

Perhaps you should search topics here we hashed over the years. As a "newbie", you at least owe us that...and yourself.

Please dont respond to me...get a few hunderd posts up....and some indication of what's going on here. Youre not qualified yet to make assumptions on this "private forum".

Thanks. Good luck to you.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I was addtionally trying to help this new member understand. But when someone TELLS up to "WATCH THE NEWS!...
(with the exclamation point)...as though its real and we SHOULD watch because of their "insight" therefore-it must be so...and extremely relevant and important to us all...with language like that...well....ATS'rs know the difference.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join